GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 12:32

Oct 15

Darden EA Calls have started. Join the Darden Chat or Darden Forum Discussion or Darden Decision Tracker

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 19:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:03) correct 46% (01:09) wrong based on 153 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy he considered the “domino theory,” which was the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous in the nuclear age

A. he considered the “domino theory,” which was the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous
B. that he considered the “domino theory,” the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous
C. that he considered the “domino theory” to be the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, making it ridiculous
D. that he, MacArthur, considered the “domino theory,” the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, to be ridiculous
E. that he, MacArthur, considered the “domino theory” as the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, and it was ridiculous

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 20:01
aragonn wrote:
In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy he considered the “domino theory,” which was the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous in the nuclear age

A. he considered the “domino theory,” which was the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous
B. that he considered the “domino theory,” the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous
C. that he considered the “domino theory” to be the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, making it ridiculous
D. that he, MacArthur, considered the “domino theory,” the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, to be ridiculous
E. that he, MacArthur, considered the “domino theory” as the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, and it was ridiculous

+1 for D

Split 1:
'He' is ambiguous here. Is 'he' referring to president or the general himself? Who knows? I know that we know, to whom 'he' refers to but the sentence doesn't convey the same ;)
Eliminate A, B, C

Split 2:
Idiom used Consider X Y/ Consider X as Y
Both D and E use correct idiom but in E the second clause screws up the meaning of the sentence. Hence eliminate E

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 22:39
Akash720 wrote:
aragonn wrote:

+1 for D

Split 1:
'He' is ambiguous here. Is 'he' referring to president or the general himself? Who knows? I know that we know, to whom 'he' refers to but the sentence doesn't convey the same ;)
Eliminate A, B, C

Split 2:
Idiom used Consider X Y/ Consider X as Y
Both D and E use correct idiom but in E the second clause screws up the meaning of the sentence. Hence eliminate E

How is option E wrong?
that he, MacArthur, considered the “domino theory” as the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, and it was ridiculous

As the conjunction "and" is in between two sub-verb pairs (he-considered)-(it-was), the use of comma is correct, isn't it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Sep 2018, 23:24
shiva007 wrote:

How is option E wrong?
that he, MacArthur, considered the “domino theory” as the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, and it was ridiculous

As the conjunction "and" is in between two sub-verb pairs (he-considered)-(it-was), the use of comma is correct, isn't it?

In my opinion, option E changes the intended meaning of the original sentence.

Meaning in A:
The general did one thing i.e.,
considered some X theory to be ridiculous in something.

Meaning in E:
The general did consider some X theory and that consideration was ridiculous. Hence, option E distorts the meaning conveyed.

E maybe grammatically correct but changes the meaning.

Posted from my mobile device

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Originally posted by Akash720 on 20 Sep 2018, 22:52.
Last edited by Akash720 on 20 Sep 2018, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 22:54
I actually selected B.
Part 1: Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy that he considered the “domino theory"- He makes sense considering the Subject is MacArthur.
Part 2:“domino theory,” the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous in the nuclear age. Removing the modifier in B (which clearly is the modifier of the preceding term) of domino theory, the sentence reads as follows:
Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy that he considered the “domino theory" ridiculous in the nuclear age.
as per idiom- consider x y, and B satisfies this rule and the meaning of the sentence is clear and not wordy.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 23:01
taniad wrote:
I actually selected B.
Part 1: Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy that he considered the “domino theory"- He makes sense considering the Subject is MacArthur.
Part 2:“domino theory,” the justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam, ridiculous in the nuclear age. Removing the modifier in B (which clearly is the modifier of the preceding term) of domino theory, the sentence reads as follows:
Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy that he considered the “domino theory" ridiculous in the nuclear age.
as per idiom- consider x y, and B satisfies this rule and the meaning of the sentence is clear and not wordy.

Here the pronoun "he" have no clear antecedent. It can also be used for "President Kennedy".
For example:- Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy that he(President Kennedy) considered the “domino theory"....

I hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 23:27
shiva007 wrote:
taniad wrote:
I actually selected B.

Here the pronoun "he" have no clear antecedent. It can also be used for "President Kennedy".
For example:- Douglas MacArthur told President Kennedy that he(President Kennedy) considered the “domino theory"....

I hope that helps.

The pronoun reference does make it a bit of an issue, but the idiom that I learnt from artistotle very clearly stated that consider x y:
eg: x= you, y= my friends
Correct: I consider you my friend
incorrect: I consider you to be my friend
incorrect: I consider you as my friend.

I am assuming the 2 part to this sentence's idiom as:
Consider domino theory ridiculous,
and the modifier of domino theory is the justification of America's involvement in the Vietnam war.

Keeping the idiom and modifier in mind I eliminated everything except B.
Analyzing B with the entire sentence, for the pronoun reference: the subject told XYZ that he .... in this case, he makes perfect pronoun reference to the noun that is performing the action; Kennedy is just the object in the sentence who doesn't perform any action.

IMO, the pronoun reference is clear with B as the modifier and idiom is clear. Will wait for OA and check for Pronouns again.
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 00:23
Consider X Y is the only right idiom.
Consider X as Y and consider X to be Y both are wrong.

Only A and B pass the idiom test.
in A..domino theory is written in past tense 'which was..'
in fact that theory isn't retired, it must exist now. Better to write that in a way B is composed.

B must be the right answer.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 03:33
Considered to be..
Considered as...

Above both are wrong idioms.

Consider X Y is correct.

Option B is perfect and right.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 20:11

Official Explanation

A question about conversations between General MacArthur and President Kennedy.

Split #1: idioms. The correct idiom for “consider” is

to consider A B

“to consider” + [noun] + [noun/adjective]

Here, this should be “considered the ‘domino theory’ ridiculous.” Putting an “as” or “to be” between the noun & adjective is incorrect. Choices (C) & (D) & (E) make these mistakes.

Split #2: in the formal language of the GMAT, anything “told” should begin with the word “that.” Choice (A) is the only one that omits the “that” so it is wrong.

These two splits are enough to isolate (B) as the answer, but it’s important to appreciate other problems with the wrong answers. (A) is simply bloated and wordy. In (C), the meaning changes: here, the idea that the “domino theory” is the “justification for America’s involvement in Vietnam” is presented as MacArthur’s own idea, rather than objective fact; furthermore, the phrase “making it ridiculous” is both ambiguous and far too colloquial for the GMAT. In (D), we have the unnecessary and redundant repetition of MacArthur’s name. In (E), the final “it” is ambiguous and incorrect.

The best answer is (B).

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

My Notes:

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 21:07
A - "that" is needed for more clarity.
D,E - Rejected on the ground that "MacArthur" is making sentence wordy.
The doubt will arise in mind of some people that the usage of "He" is ambiguous in b and c.
But "he" is the subject case for pronoun and cannot refers to the object(Kennedy)
C - making... acts as a modifier but it does not have any proper action or clause to modify.

Hence, B is the answer.

Let's share some kudos together.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 00:22
aragonn wrote:

Hi aragonn,

Doesn't B has a typo error. Shouldn't the comma come after "domino theory", instead of "domino theory,". Please correct me if I am wrong.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 00:32
Yes it should, but question is given this way. I have not changed it. May be its a typo from magoosh side. Definitely its awkward.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K &nbs [#permalink] 22 Sep 2018, 00:32

In late 1961, the legendary general Douglas MacArthur told President K

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap