It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:02

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 175

Schools: Ross '17
Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 22:01
According to a e-GMAT teacher, "due to" should be replaced with "be caused by". Here, "due to" on A and B cannot be replaced with "be caused by". Hence they should be eliminated. As for C, because clause is a passive tense. Looking at E, E is an active tense. It seems that E does not have any issues. So hold E. D uses "because of" and it is obviously lengthy. So eliminate D. Hence, the answer is E.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 175

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 03:31
A and B are wrong because ‘Due to’ modifies the action in the preceding clause and hence is not used correctly and also meaning wise it implies that chambers were closed due to moisture. Both ways it is wrong.
Option C is wrong for multiple reasons. because tourists were exhaling moisture is wrong since the action is completed and, "which had raised the humidity within then to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize" is also wrong since there is no past tense action which took place after moisture had raised the humidity. The order of actions is wrong.
I picked option E for parallelism was crystallizing and also because past perfect tense is used properly to show the order of actions took place.
But i could not understand why exactly in option D, because of usage is wrong here since it refers to the clause correctly.
Can someone explain why option D is wrong for all reasons?

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2015, 19:48
ShristiK wrote:
I chose answer E.
Can we have a "due to" vs. "because of" split here or is it a false split?

It would be a false split imo

a better split and an easier way to solve the problem would be to split just the last word "crystallizing" vs. "crystallize". The correct side of the split would be "crystallizing" because it is followed by "growing", which falls outside the scope of our stem.

That leaves you with option A and E

A is wrong for other, clear reasons, leaving E to be the only correct answer.

I first split it differently, and after spending 2 minutes was left with C and E. That's when I realized this.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 22:34
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

"for cleaning and repair.." Is this phrase parallel? gerund and verb?

because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

Isn't the use of 'them' is somewhat ambiguous? As if it's referrin to tourists? Seemin to suggest that the tourists had raised the humidity within themselves?

If anybody can help me with these please!! Thanks. :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6115 [0], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 23:15
enasni wrote:
In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza were closed to visitors for cleaning and repair due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing and fungus was growing on the walls.

because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

Isn't the use of 'them' is somewhat ambiguous? As if it's referrin to tourists? Seemin to suggest that the tourists had raised the humidity within themselves?

Hi enasni
1) "for cleaning and repair.." Is this phrase parallel? gerund and verb?

repair here is used as a NOUN and gerund also acts as a NOUN..
so phrase is parallel..

2)Isn't the use of 'them' is somewhat ambiguous? As if it's referrin to tourists? Seemin to suggest that the tourists had raised the humidity within themselves?
since we have ONLY one subject, the Object pronoun should refer to that..
here SUBJECT is 'chamber', so 'them' should refer to 'chambers'..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6115 [0], given: 121

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 06:14
enasni wrote:

In this case - repair is "noun". The preposition "for" can be taken common. So, it becomes "for cleaning" and "for repair". The verbing (cleaning) is gerund and is parallel to (for) repair.

As far as pronoun reference w.r.t "them" is concerned. "them" refers to "chambers" - logical (meaning) referrent.

For pronoun reference, always check the meaning to find the antecendant noun. In this case, "them" refers to "chambers". It is in these "chambers" that the moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity levels.

Hope this helps.

Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Rohit Ghosh
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Jamboree Course Reviews | Try 2 of our classroom classes for free before you have to pay
Get GMAT Club Tests for free when you sign up for any Jamboree course. Request access

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 08:26
iliavko wrote:
Imagine the sentence

"The lady holding the little girl, who works in the supermarket, looks sad."

Is this correct? Or do we have ambiguity in the use of rel. pronoun "who" ? "holding" modifies "lady", "the little girl" refers to "holding" So here can the object of "who" be the lady? or it will be the girl?

I would keep it simple. The modifier "who works in the ....." touches "girl", hence it modifies "girl" without any ambiguity.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 04:54
soaringAlone wrote:
I don't think anyone has given a satisfactory reply to the question posed below ?

Can anyone answer the question, please?: Why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C, D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Can anyone please answer this question?

If "experts" are not able to answer it, I am very sorry to say that they are not experts at all.

This said, however, I must thank everyone in this forum for their sometimes useful contributions.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 23:58
EBITDA wrote:
soaringAlone wrote:
I don't think anyone has given a satisfactory reply to the question posed below ?

Can anyone answer the question, please?: Why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C, D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Can anyone please answer this question?

If "experts" are not able to answer it, I am very sorry to say that they are not experts at all.

This said, however, I must thank everyone in this forum for their sometimes useful contributions.

In case you have any query that is unanswered (or you are not satisfied with the answer), please feel free to send a PM with the link to that post to any of the forum moderators /experts, who, I can assure you, will try his / her best to help.

Now to the query......

There is no ambiguity with the pronoun "them". If this pronoun were to refer to "tourists", then the pronoun would be "themselves".

Following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide:

After the agreement surfaced, the commission dissolved IT.

It must refer to the agreement, because it cannot refer to the commission. If you wish to refer to the commission, you must use itself.

Does the above explanation explain your query?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 02:57
soaringAlone wrote:

Can anyone answer the question, please?:why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Hi sayantanc2k,

Thank you so much for your response.

However, one of the objections that the official guide makes about answers C and D is that "the pronoun them seems to refer to tourists".

Therefore, I do not rely very much on your advice since what you are saying contradicts the answer explanation in the official guide.

Can anyone else give their view on the apparent contradiction outlined above?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 13:01
EBITDA wrote:
soaringAlone wrote:

Can anyone answer the question, please?:why "them" is correctly referring to the chambers in E and not to tourists as in C,D (as per explanation in OG 12)

Hi sayantanc2k,

Thank you so much for your response.

However, one of the objections that the official guide makes about answers C and D is that "the pronoun them seems to refer to tourists".

Therefore, I do not rely very much on your advice since what you are saying contradicts the answer explanation in the official guide.

Can anyone else give their view on the apparent contradiction outlined above?

What I unterstand from your post is that the reason why you do not rely on my reasoning is not that you were able to identify a flaw in it, but that it seemed to you that a statement given in the official explanation does not match with my aforesaid explanation. Therefore let me try to explain further:

From my previous post you could probably have understood why "them" in option E is not ambiguous. (I assumed that explaining why E is correct would also make it clear why use of "them" in C and D is not correct): The structures in C and D are not same as the structure in E - in E the clause that contains the pronoun "them" also contains the noun "tourists" as a part of the subject .... " moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them "..... In this structure "them" cannot refer to "tourists" for the reason mentioned in my previous post (reflexive pronoun would otherwise be used - not using a reflexive pronoun makes it clear that "them" does not refer to "tourists"). However in C and D, the noun "tourists" is outside the clause (option C) or the present participle modifier (option D) containing the pronoun "them", and hence "them" may refer to the noun "tourists" in these cases (here use of reflexive pronoun is not required). Therefore in C and D the pronoun "them" is ambiguous, but not in option E.

Is the explanation understandable now?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 17:05
SPLIT1: "DUE TO" AND "BECAUSE OF" ARE GMAT UNFAVORABLES. A, B, AND D ARE OUT. WHY? BECAUSE THEY CREATES AMBIGUITY.

SPLIT2) PARALLELISM. THE ISSUE IS THAT "WOULD CRYSTALLIZE" IS A PASSIVE CONSTRUCTION THAT DOES NOT GO WELL WITH THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE "WAS GROWING". B AND C ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) THE USE OF THE WORD "AND". WHENEVER YOU SEE "AND" CHECK IF THERE IS A LIST OF THINGS. IF YES, THEN CHECK THAT THE LIST IS IN PARALLEL, IN THIS CASE YOU HAVE THE END OF "AND... WAS GROWING" SO YOUR JOB IS TO CHECK THAT THE PREVIOUS ITEM IS PARALLEL. SEE THAT "AND...WAS GROWING" IS SIMPLE PAST TENSE TO MATCH IT WITH OTHER SIMPLE PAST TENSE SUCH AS: "WAS CRYSTALLIZING", THIS WAY YOU ELIMINATE B,C, AND D.

SPLIT4) "ITS" IS A SINGULAR PRONOUN THAT INCORRECTLY REFERS TO PLURAL NOUN "CHAMBERS". A IS OUT.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 13:36

(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled,thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

For option E - can anyone explain -- how can HAD RAISED be correct here when there are no two past events occurring? My understand was past perfect can be used when two events are in the past and the earlier event takes the past perfect form.

On the other hand C makes the reason to use past perfect correct..because of had raised ...... would crystallize...
assume the last part of the sentence isn't present (was growing).. then C would be the correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 02:02

(A) due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
--> due to is used to modify only NOUNS. such...so..that is wrong idiom.

(B) due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
--> due to is used to modify only NOUNS.
There is not any proper reason to use past perfect tense here.
its is wrong because chambers is plural.
would crystallize is not parallel to was growing.

(C) because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
--> would crystallize is not parallel to was growing.
There is not any proper reason to use past perfect tense here.

(D) because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
--> because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising is wordy and awkward; according to Mike,
[preposition] + [noun] + [participle] is 100% wrong when it contains an “action word” participle (here “action word” participle is raising).
so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize is not parallel to was growing.

(E) because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing
--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 02:26
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
A and B are wrong because ‘Due to’ modifies the action in the preceding clause and hence is not used correctly and also meaning wise it implies that chambers were closed due to moisture. Both ways it is wrong.
Option C is wrong for multiple reasons. because tourists were exhaling moisture is wrong since the action is completed and, "which had raised the humidity within then to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize" is also wrong since there is no past tense action which took place after moisture had raised the humidity. The order of actions is wrong.
I picked option E for parallelism was crystallizing and also because past perfect tense is used properly to show the order of actions took place.
But i could not understand why exactly in option D, because of usage is wrong here since it refers to the clause correctly.
Can someone explain why option D is wrong for all reasons?

--> because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising is wordy and awkward; according to Mike,
[preposition] + [noun] + [participle] is 100% wrong when it contains an “action word” participle (here “action word” participle is raising). (https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-idio ... ecause-of/)
so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize is not parallel to was growing.

Hope it makes clear!

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 11:52
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 136

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 22:35
sudeep wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 698
Page: 687

A. due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
B. due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
C. because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
D. because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
E. because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

[Reveal] Spoiler:
As per the OG explanation, 'them' in C and D seems to refer to 'tourists', but in E 'them' clearly refers to chambers.
Can someone please explain the concept of the pronoun reference in this case?

What I understood is that:
in the case of E tourists is the noun in the modifier 'exhaled by tourists'. So, 'tourists' loose the significance as it is out of scope for the remaining main sentence/clause. But is is the right creteria to reject the pronoun reference to noun 'tourists'.

PS: I know why the OA mentioned is correct, but need clarification on the above concept of pronoun reference.

A. due to moisture exhaled by tourists, which raised its humidity to such levels so that salt from the stone was crystallizing
B. due to moisture that tourists had exhaled, thereby raising its humidity to such levels that salt from the stone would crystallize
C. because tourists were exhaling moisture, which had raised the humidity within them to levels such that salt from the stone would crystallize
D. because of moisture that was exhaled by tourists raising the humidity within them to levels so high as to make the salt from the stone crystallize
E. because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing....Correct

With the parallelism of growing and crystallizing we can remove B, C, D as option
Between A & E , in A . The meaning is distorted, the moisture is raising (whose) humidity

Hence E

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 136

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 08:48
sudeep wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 698
Page: 687

E. because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing

[Reveal] Spoiler:
As per the OG explanation, 'them' in C and D seems to refer to 'tourists', but in E 'them' clearly refers to chambers.
Can someone please explain the concept of the pronoun reference in this case?

What I understood is that:
in the case of E tourists is the noun in the modifier 'exhaled by tourists'. So, 'tourists' loose the significance as it is out of scope for the remaining main sentence/clause. But is is the right creteria to reject the pronoun reference to noun 'tourists'.

PS: I know why the OA mentioned is correct, but need clarification on the above concept of pronoun reference.

I picked the wrong answer because of confusion of the pronoun "Them" . How I fixed the confusion is by rewriting the complete sentence by removing anything which can be removed from the sentence:

In late 1997, the chambers were closed to visitors because moisture had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing .

If we read the above sentence then we can understand that them can refer to chambers only . However, how I removed some parts from sentence is by removing either extra information or modifiers .

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 07:16

narrow it down to A & E because when we look at the endings only "was crystallizing" is parallel to "fungus was growing"
A can be eliminated because "which" is incorrect as it refers to tourists not to the moisture exhaled by the tourists + "so that" is incorrect,
Moreover option E correctly uses past perfect "had"

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 04:24
Hi,

In option E - "because moisture exhaled by tourists had raised the humidity within them to such levels that salt from the stone was crystallizing"

Isn't them an ambiguous pronoun? i.e. them has 2 possible antecedents - tourists & chambers. How do we know that them is referring to chambers?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2017, 04:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 43 posts ] 

In late 1997, the chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap