It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 847 [3], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dhairya275 wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going
B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost of it that goes
C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going
D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes
E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

Help Please !!

Hello Dhairya,

Let's understand the meaning of the sentence---> In little more then a decade, Argentina has become leading exporter of honey by exporting 90000 T a year and almost half of 90000 T goes to US.

Clearly in the underlined quote, we have the reason as to why Argentina became leading exporter ie. How it became the leading exporter..Since it presents a reasoning for the preceeding clause " In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey," Use of Verbing is better suited instead of prepositional phrase "with".

so A, B and C are ruled out

For option D Lets study the option after putting it in answer choice and removing the verb-ing modifer

"In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey,selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets,and almost half of it goes

The Sentence becomes "In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey and almost half of it goes to the US"

The word "and" means it should connect the first verb of this sentence "has become" with another verb which is not there. Note that goes ----is verb for it (Honey)

and Hence Option D is incorrect.

So Correct answer has to be E.

I marked D initially but on analyzing later, E looked the best.

Hope it helps :)

Mridul

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 847 [3], given: 724

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 10:15
Clear E as it correctly uses verb-ing modifier to modify the previous clause and is followed by a prepositional phrase which is correctly used. Also here verb-ing modifier supplies the causation which explains how argentina has become largest exporter.

D uses and which distorts the meaning

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 34

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2014, 21:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2014, 08:00

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17042 [2], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17042 [2], given: 1963

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 21:56
Answer should be E.

"Selling" rightly modifies the preceeding clause.

"selling" and "going" look parallel and in D "it" lacks a proper antecedent.

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 17:58
souvik101990 wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes

A. 'half of which' should be followed by a working verb rather than a participial

B. 'that' is redundant. There is no need to make make the last part parallel to the main clause

C. Two with that followe each other are awkward. The structure after second 'with' is what GMAT doesn't like: preposition + noun + participial. 'markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year' changes the intended meaning.

D. it has no logical referent! Again it not necessary to make the main clause and last part parallel, as they are not of the same importance

E. Correct!

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 08:31

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 03:23

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 20:35
[quote="duttarupam"]In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey,
with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the
United States.

this is a hard one
in the pattern
main clause+with+noun+noun modifier
with phrase works as an adverb modifying the main clause.
so, in B we need "and with allmost..." so that B can be grammatical
in C , we need "and with almost" so that C can be grammatical
writen in B and C, the last phrases ( with almost... and "and almost..." ) have no headword to modify

very hard to know why B and C are wrong.

in the test room, we can not analyse like this, very hard one

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 07:44
Which is always used as clause.In this case there is no verb of which ,so it is wrong.

There is no antecedent for it, so it is ruled out.

Same as B

Same as B

<With almost half going> is a subgroup modifier modifying tons. So it is only justified answer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 14:23
duttarupam wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey,
with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the
United States.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

What is wrong with A ?

Answer E cannot be correct since "With" is neither a conjugation nor a subordinator, hence E is wrong.

Any expert's thought?

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 06:08
from E, the OA, we can know that "noun+noun modifier" can modify the full preceding clause or a preceding "doing". though this pattern is rare, it is accepted by gmat standard.

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 12:07
thangvietnam wrote:
from E, the OA, we can know that "noun+noun modifier" can modify the full preceding clause or a preceding "doing". though this pattern is rare, it is accepted by gmat standard.

a "noun + noun modifier" start with a noun :)

I still have a problem with the use of "with".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 13:37
Did Argentina become world's leading exporter with the sale or with 90,000 tons. NO
Eliminate A, B, and C.
D is not parallel.

E.

Request kudos from fellow Gmatclub members :)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 11:20
duttarupam wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey,
United States.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

'with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going' is the detail on how Argentina has become the leader.

Sentence is written in the present perfect tense.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going. 'Sold' in the past tense doesn't coincide with the tense used in the sentence.

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes 'almost half of it' is a fragment

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going 'with almost half of it going' is not connected with proper conjunction with th previous sentence

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes. Argentina has become leader by doing something. -ing is needed rather then simple present 'goes'

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going selling and going are parallel.

D is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 03:28
Hi Expert,

I have a query in this question from GMAT Prep - Practice Exam 3.

Question

My Analysis

Meaning - Argentina has become the leading exporter by selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Half of the honey exported goes to US.

It should be a verb+ing modifier because it tells how Argentina has become leading exporter.

So A,B,C are eliminated.

Option choice D - Sentence Structure - Independent Clause, Modifier and Independent Clause
Meaning of the sentence implies half of the (honey exported) goes to US. So there is no Logical Antecedent for it.
So D is eliminated.

Option choice E is the correct answer.

I had difficulty in understanding the meaning of correct answer choice E.

with almost half going to US
. This is a prepositional phrase modifier. What this modifier is modifying?

I face difficulty in solving the problems with sentence Structure as below:
Independent Clause, First Modifier, Second Modifier.

But GMAT loves to load a sentence with modifiers, so I should also start loving it :) .

I have come across three sentences from official sources with such sentence structure.

1. Source GMAT prep - Practice Exam 3 - First as mentioned above

2. Source GMAT prep - In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling other stars. In this sentence the modifier circling other stars modifies 80 massive planets.

3. Source mba.com - GMAT practice question of the day - Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business more than $100 billion a year. Relative pronoun modifier which already cost business more than $100 billion a year modifies the effects.

Now I tried to understand the role played by Second modifier in all the thee sentences. My understanding is as below:

1. Kindly help me understand what does prepositional phrase modifies?

2. Second modifier modifies the noun in the clause

3. Second modifier modifies the noun in the First modifier

Is there any general rule or method to deal with questions with sentence structure as Independent Clause, First Modifier, Second Modifier. or it is only question specific?

Just to mention, in my quest I also came across a post on BTG in this thread by egmat expert http://www.beatthegmat.com/comma-with-expert-please-explain-t85064.html

Thanks

Sahil

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 22:56

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 03:07
Dhairya275 wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost of it that goes

Help Please !!

in A,
which is wrong . which must be in a relative clause. we do not have any clause.
in B
"it" has no referent
in C
" with almost..." has no main clause to modify
in D
"almost half of it..." is a clause which paralel to main clause. this paralellism is not logic.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 07:25
exactly why OPTION D is wrong? To me, AND us acting as a coordinating conjunction. It is introducing the clause ALMOST HALF OF IT.... Is the pronoun IT incorrect?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 79

Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2016, 07:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap