Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [35]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [3]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [4]
Given Kudos: 144
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In many job areas the earnings of women are well below that of men in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 for D

A) well below that of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing
- Incorrect. Earnings of women is compared to Earnings of men. Hence, we need 'those' as Earnings is plural.

B) much below that of men's despite educational differences diminishing
- Incorrect. Same as A

C) much below men in spite of diminishing educational differences
- Incorrect. The comparison is flawed here, Earnings are compared to men.

D) well below those of men in spite of diminishing educational differences
- Corrects the error in A.

E) below men's despite their educational differences that are diminishing
- Incorrect. Unnecessary 'their',creating ambiguity, is used.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: In many job areas the earnings of women are well below that of men in [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 13: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

In many job areas, the earnings of women are well below that of men in spite of educational
differences that are diminishing
between the sexes.

A) well below that of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing

NOTE: For this question, BEST or EXCELLENT answers must include the meaning of this sentence.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

The sentence means that there are many fields where both men and women are working, but for the same job, women are paid less than their male counterparts even though the difference in their educational qualifications is diminishing.

We are comparing earnings of women to earnings of men. "The earnings of women" is plural. In A and B, that is incorrect for the same reason. Also in B, that of men's uses double possessive form.

C and E are comparing earnings of women with men which is illogical comparison.

Option D is free of the above errors and logically compares the earnings of women with earnings of men and hence should be the answer.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
generis wrote:
[textarea]

In many job areas, the earnings of women are well below that of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing between the sexes.

NOTE: For this question, BEST or EXCELLENT answers must include the meaning of this sentence.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This official explanation contains a lot of descriptors that I did not see in posts,
an omission about which I am glad.

I would let these descriptors be your last reasons for eliminating a choice:
wordy, awkward, and unclear.

If a test taker cannot explain why a sentence is "wordy," the option should not be discarded.
My additions are in blue text.

• In choice A, the pronoun that does not agree in number with its noun, earnings;
the pronoun that matches earnings is those[/color]
-- the phrasing is wordy
-- "wordy" is not an explanation. "wordy" is an assertion. WHY is a sentence wordy?
MikeScarn , for example, likes the stacked adjectives in one answer and dislikes the that clause in others.
His assessment is correct, a point I explain below.**

-- the phrasing does not convey the sense that diminishing the educational differences between the sexes
would be expected to narrow the gap in earnings.
I would be willing to entertain this assertion if we were told what (A) does convey.
As that assertion stands, I cannot make use of the argument.

• In choice B, that and the possessive men's are faulty
-- that is faulty because "earnings" are plural. As is the case in (A), the correct pronoun is those
-- possessive men's is faulty because it is part of the phrase OF men's.

The 's is redundant. To show whose earnings, use "those [earnings] of men" or "men's earnings."

Incorrect: those [earnings] of men's

-- the phrasing does not convey the sense that diminishing the educational differences between the sexes
I would be willing to entertain this assertion if we were told what (A) does convey.

-- much below is less idiomatic than well below
-- the sentence with (B) is awkward. Why?

• Choices C illogically compares the earnings of women to the word men rather than
to the parallel phrase the earnings of men

• In choice E
-- their seems to refer to earnings
-- men's is not parallel with of women, and
-- the phrasing is unclear.
Which phrasing? What is unclear? Why?

• Choice D is best
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, welcome to GMAT Club viitalik !
And MikeScarn , glad to see you wander this way.

In my first post, partly in red, I wrote that answers must include the meaning of the sentence.

In a separate post, I repeated the instructions.
If you failed to include the meaning of the sentence, you were ineligible for kudos.

daagh , I've been wanting to highlight a phrase I admire from the very first post of this series.

"I am removing E for its brazen fragmentation."

I laughed admiringly at your originality.
My thanks to you for serving up two perfectly pitched words.
(And many more than that in thousands of posts.)

Prateekj05 - the way you explained meaning set a good example.
You found a way to rearrange the words
and to include the word "job." Both of those choices conveyed the meaning in your own words.
You have one error, however, and the error is an easy one to make.
You mistook "men's" for "men."
The error in E is not the same as that in C.

MikeScarn,
Very well done.

Most posts are very good to excellent.
But . . .

Best post goes to MikeScarn
Thank you, all!

**Pretend that A has the correct pronoun, those. We'll set it next to correct answer D.

Option A: ... earnings of women are well below those of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing between the sexes.

Option D: . . .earnings of women are well below those of men in spite of diminishing educational differences between the sexes.

Is (D) better? Yes. "diminishing" as an adjective that precedes differences is more effective than the clause "that are diminishing."
1) in (D) fewer words have exactly the same meaning
2) (D) avoids two "are" verbs. I do not reject passive voice reflexively (automatically). But one inert (non-action) verb—"are"—is enough.
3) back-to-back adjectives leave the emphasis at the end of the sentence. That placement accords with the intention to highlight the gap.
(Emphasis in most English sentences comes at the end.)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
A reminder about BEST ANSWER or EXCELLENT ANSWER:
please include the meaning of the sentence in your answer

You may edit responses at any time until the official answer is revealed at 8:59 a.m. Pacific Standard Time on November 20.

Of course, you may decide that you want only to post analysis. Totally fine. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
The sentence aims to compare the salary of women and men in the first place.
Afterwards, the educational differences are compared.

Neither aspect of the sentences is trying to compare men to women in general, however, this exact wrong comparison (men to women) is the main issue that unites the wrong answer choices.

The only sentence that compares salary to salary and education to education is the one in AC D! :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The passage wants to highlight that thou women are bucking up and fast catching up men in educational standards. Still, women's salaries are not catching u as fast.

The important grammar point is to note is that the earnings are plurals and another plural pronoun must be used to match the plural.

In many job areas, the earnings of women are well below that of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing between the sexes.

A) well below that of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing -- it should be well below those of men

B) much below that of men's despite educational differences diminishing-- that of men's is redundant

C) much below men in spite of diminishing educational differences ---- comparison of below men is a bad comparison between earnings and men

D) well below those of men in spite of diminishing educational differences -- correct choice.

E) below men's despite their educational differences that are diminishing-- some ambiguity exists about the reference for 'their
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
generis wrote:
generis wrote:
[textarea]

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This official explanation contains a lot of descriptors that I did not see in posts,
an omission about which I am glad.

I would let these descriptors be your last reasons for eliminating a choice:
wordy, awkward, and unclear.

If a test taker cannot explain why a sentence is "wordy," the option should not be discarded.
My additions are in blue text.

• In choice A, the pronoun that does not agree in number with its noun, earnings;
the pronoun that matches earnings is those[/color]
-- the phrasing is wordy
-- "wordy" is not an explanation. "wordy" is an assertion. WHY is a sentence wordy?
MikeScarn , for example, likes the stacked adjectives in one answer and dislikes the that clause in others.
His assessment is correct, a point I explain below.**

• In choice B, that and the possessive men's are faulty
-- that is faulty because "earnings" are plural. As is the case in (A), the correct pronoun is those
-- possessive men's is faulty because it is part of the phrase OF men's.

The 's is redundant. To show whose earnings, use "those [earnings] of men" or "men's earnings."

Incorrect: those [earnings] of men's

-- much below is less idiomatic than well below
-- the sentence with (B) is awkward. Why?

• Choices C illogically compares the earnings of women to the word men rather than
to the parallel phrase the earnings of men

• In choice E
-- their seems to refer to earnings
-- men's is not parallel with of women, and
-- the phrasing is unclear.
Which phrasing? What is unclear? Why?

• Choice D is best
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, welcome to GMAT Club viitalik !
And MikeScarn , glad to see you wander this way.

In my first post, partly in red, I wrote that answers must include the meaning of the sentence.

In a separate post, I repeated the instructions.
If you failed to include the meaning of the sentence, you were ineligible for kudos.

daagh , I've been wanting to highlight a phrase I admire from the very first post of this series.

"I am removing E for its brazen fragmentation."

I laughed admiringly at your originality.
My thanks to you for serving up two perfectly pitched words.
(And many more than that in thousands of posts.)

Prateekj05 - the way you explained meaning set a good example.
You found a way to rearrange the words
and to include the word "job." Both of those choices conveyed the meaning in your own words.
You have one error, however, and the error is an easy one to make.
You mistook "men's" for "men."
The error in E is not the same as that in C.

MikeScarn,
Very well done.

Most posts are very good to excellent.
But . . .

Best post goes to MikeScarn
Thank you, all!

**Pretend that A has the correct pronoun, those. We'll set it next to correct answer D.

Option A: ... earnings of women are well below those of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing between the sexes.

Option D: . . .earnings of women are well below those of men in spite of diminishing educational differences between the sexes.

Is (D) better? Yes. "diminishing" as an adjective that precedes differences is more effective than the clause "that are diminishing."
1) in (D) fewer words have exactly the same meaning
2) (D) avoids two "are" verbs. I do not reject passive voice reflexively (automatically). But one inert (non-action) verb—"are"—is enough.
3) back-to-back adjectives leave the emphasis at the end of the sentence. That placement accords with the intention to highlight the gap.
(Emphasis in most English sentences comes at the end.)

I have a question. Can 'the' be used in such a manner to form a plural subject??
Isn't it that the is used for a specific thing.?

Any comments.. Please enlighten.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
The split is between that,those and men's - since earnings+women should be followed by Plural pronoun "those" and non possessive form of men.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Something that I would like to point out here regarding E. Aside from 'their', it's main issue is that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Read literally, the sentence is saying "educational differences that are diminishing BETWEEN THE SEXES. Try reading that out loud. Sounds terrible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

A) well below that of men in spite of educational differences that are diminishing -wrong pronoun

B) much below that of men's despite educational differences diminishing-wrong pronoun

C) much below men in spite of diminishing educational differences -improper comparison

D) well below those of men in spite of diminishing educational differences-right pronoun usage those has proper antecedent earnings

E) below men's despite their educational differences that are diminishing-wordy
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Even though it is an official question, should it not use "than"?
well below than those of men
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts