Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Parallelismx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
katesizon wrote:
Can it be correct to use the construction[ BOTH X or Y AND Z ], meaning two things?
thank you !

In theory, that construction would make sense in a sentence like this one:

"An Old Fashioned cocktail contains both lemon or orange rind and rye whiskey."

• The cocktail contains two things: rind and whiskey.
  • The "or" part tells us that we could have either of two different kinds of rind (lemon or orange).

Is this always wrong? Maybe not. But I think we can all agree that it's awfully confusing. You have to read the sentence a few times to be clear about what's happening.

I can't imagine seeing "BOTH X or Y AND Z" in a correct answer choice. Does that mean it's always wrong? Maybe not -- you always want to carefully consider the five unique options in front of you and think about what makes the most sense given the context of the specific question. It's not a great idea to try to boil GMAT SC down to a list of mechanical rules that can be applied blindly.

In this case, the "both X or Y and Z" construction in (B) is very confusing, and (D) is a much better option.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [1]

Send PM
Re: In many of the worlds regions, increasing pressure on water resources [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
Hi
[url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=AjiteshArun%5D%5Bb%5DAjiteshArun%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D
[url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja%5D%5Bb%5DGMATNinja%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D

The word "the" seems to be missing in the correct option D. Can you please help explain why this is not an issue? I have come across questions where an option was incorrect due to the absence of the word "the".

The absence or presence of an article (such as "the") will create only a very very subtle meaning difference, so it's usually not a major decision point in GMAT questions. Generally speaking, you’re better off focusing on more concrete issues instead.

But can you be more specific here? Where do you think the word "the" should be, and why?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources has resulted both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward.

A. both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward ----- 1. 'Both' has no locus-standi here. There are neither two lists nor just two factors. 2. Use of from for the factor in the list mars //ism.

B. both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern -- 1. Same reason as in A2, both … or is unidiomatic

C. from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward--- 1. 'and from' is and unparallel 2.' Future supply' and 'going forward' is unparallel.

D. from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern ----correct choice.

E. from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern -- 'and from' is unparallel.

Hi Daagh,

From X to Y is a correct idiom. Doesn't option D violate this idiom ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
daagh wrote:
kanthaliya

Yes; From X to Y is a correct idiom. But are we required to use the idiom every time we use either 'from' or 'to'? Can't we use from or to independently?

Thank you very much for the reply Daagh. I was under the impression that it has to be used only as From X to Y form.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Parallelism of "...expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution...."

Ensure that "from" is kept before the list or in every item of the list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources [#permalink]
Dear GMATNinja,

Could please help me with this one. My reasoning is as follows:

We can eliminate A and B based on incorrect usage of "Both + and". In C parallelism is violated i.e after "and" there is "also". To maintain parallelism there should be "from X, Y and From Z", so "also" is redundant. Generally, in GMAT I've seen that most answer choices with "and also" are wrong. So, I've developed a habit that when I see "and also", I cross it. Is it correct?

I'm confused between D and E. I think D violates the parallelism: "from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution". Shouldn't it be "from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution"?

In E, the word "expansion" triggers me that "expanding" is better. "Expansion of development" is not parallel to "changes in climate" and "pollution", since "Expansion of" is in different format. Is that correct? Also, "future concern" is redundant. But it maintains parallel structure: "From X, Y and from Y". How can I confidently eliminate E over D?

Last but no least, I can't quite understand the use of "so that" in the sentence. As far as I know, "so that" implies intention. For example: "Yesterday, I went to bed early, so that I can get up early in the morning". Here "so that" shows my intention of sleeping early. Am I correct?
But I can't catch the overall meaning of the sentence.

I would love to have your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
You have a very valid question to ask. One important thing when you read the statement is figuring out the right subject. Now, here in this case, you have "future supplies" and not just "supplies" as a subject. Future supplies can actually take both a singular and a plural verb. But since we have it in the non-underline part of the sentence, we have to believe what is a given.

Darselle wrote:
Can someone help me understand why " future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern" is a correct phase. Shouldn't it be "are concerns" instead ? I still got the right answer through parallelism but I want to understand the basic grammatical concept for application on different questions as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
MyGuruStefan wrote:
On a tricky sentence correction such as this one, begin by identifying the main subject, in this case "increasing pressure on water resources" and use it as a reference for all other subjects and verbs in the underlined portion. As written, the sentence states that "the future supply... is a concern". This singular subject is not parallel with the plural noun "water resources", so eliminate choice A as well as choice C that repeats this error. Choice E moves the modifying adjective "future" from before "supplies" to before "concern", thus changing the meaning of the sentence, so eliminate choice E. Lastly, choice B incorrectly uses the pairing modifier "both" with "and" as well as "or", which makes it unclear as to what the list of phenomena "increasing pressure on water resources" includes. The correct answer is D.

MyGuruStefan AjiteshArun daagh VeritasKarishma

I am not able to understand what the highlighted part means. Doesn't the question statement consists of two ICs joined by FANBOYS 'So' ?

Also the 'water resources' is a part of a prepositional phrase and how does it connects to/ impacts 'future supplies' in the 2nd IC?

If you can please help me with my above query?

Thanks
Saurabh
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sarjaria84 wrote:
MyGuruStefan wrote:
On a tricky sentence correction such as this one, begin by identifying the main subject, in this case "increasing pressure on water resources" and use it as a reference for all other subjects and verbs in the underlined portion. As written, the sentence states that "the future supply... is a concern". This singular subject is not parallel with the plural noun "water resources", so eliminate choice A as well as choice C that repeats this error. Choice E moves the modifying adjective "future" from before "supplies" to before "concern", thus changing the meaning of the sentence, so eliminate choice E. Lastly, choice B incorrectly uses the pairing modifier "both" with "and" as well as "or", which makes it unclear as to what the list of phenomena "increasing pressure on water resources" includes. The correct answer is D.

MyGuruStefan AjiteshArun daagh VeritasKarishma

I am not able to understand what the highlighted part means. Doesn't the question statement consists of two ICs joined by FANBOYS 'So' ?

Also the 'water resources' is a part of a prepositional phrase and how does it connects to/ impacts 'future supplies' in the 2nd IC?

If you can please help me with my above query?

Thanks
Saurabh

You cannot assume any outside knowledge from a sentence correction, so the only possible anteceding referent for "the supply" is the plural "water resources" even if it is part of a descriptor. I believe that should explain both of your questions, since basically as written "the supply" could refer to anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Hi experts,

Isn't 'future supply.... going forward' redundant in the same sentence and hence we should ignore (A) and (C) for this reason as well ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Parallelism

From xxxx,yyy to zzzz?

Please advise why the idiom "to" is not used in answer D?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources [#permalink]
sarphant123 wrote:

D. from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern
Best of All.

Hi Sir, so you are saying the idiom - "from.....to.." the "to" is not necessary? (i.e. We have products ranging from birthday cards to handcrafted jewellery.

OR

the "from expanding development" is a noun phrase?
If Yes, can we form a noun phrase with the word "from"? if i'm not wrong "from" is a preposition, only adjective can modify noun and only adverb/adjective can modify adjective
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
[quote="AbdurRakib"]In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources has resulted both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward.

A. both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward (both refers only two verbs or noun or phrase eg both A and B)

B. both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern (both refers only two verbs or noun or phrase eg both A and B)

C. from expanding development, changes in climate, and also from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward ( for the sake of parallelism you either use preposition common for all or use separately for each)

D. from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern

E. from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern (same as C)

Errors
both A and B
Parallelism while using A, B, and C
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
waihoe520 wrote:
Parallelism

From xxxx,yyy to zzzz?

Please advise why the idiom "to" is not used in answer D?

Thanks

There are certainly cases when "from... to" make sense. For example:

• "I drove from New York to Boston."
  • "The store sells everything from doughnuts to deep-fried candy bars." :-P

But in other cases "from" is used by itself to indicate the source of something. For example:

• "A strong odor emanated from the deep-fried candy bar." - What was the source of the odor? The deep-fried candy bar. :-P
  • "Her success resulted from years of hard work." - What was the source of her success? Years of hard work.

That's basically what we have in choice (D): X resulted from Y, where Y is a list of 3 things: 1) expanding development, 2) changes in climate, and 3) pollution.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GRE 1: Q167 V162
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
In many of the world’s regions, increasing pressure on water resources has resulted both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward.

Expanding development ,changes in climate, pollution - these three are part of the list - hence usage of Both ....and is incorrect.

A. both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward - incorrect

B. both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern - same error as above

C. from expanding development, changes in climate, [color=#ff0000]and also from[/color] pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward

D. from expanding development, changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern - looks good in every aspect

E. from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern - future needs to modify supplies not concern - hence wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: (S)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:

A. both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward

B. both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern

C. from expanding development, changes in climate, and also from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward

E. from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 270

Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Isn't the question statement and the correct answer choice little awkward in construction?

It seems like there was an deliberate increase in pressure on water resources in order to generate concern regarding water supply in arid areas in future. Actually the three factors, let say X, Y and Z increased pressure on water resources and therefore future supply is now a concern in some areas. I am confused about the use of so that. IMO it would make sense to use therefore / hence / thus in place of so that.

Please correct me if I am wrong and help me crossing 700 :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:

A. both from expanding development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a concern going forward

B. both from expanding development or changes in climate, and pollution, so that future supplies in some of the more arid areas are a concern

C. from expanding development, changes in climate, and also from pollution, so that the future supply in some of the more arid areas is a matter of concern going forward

E. from expansion of development, changes in climate, and from pollution, so that supplies in some of the more arid areas are a future concern

Both x and y is correct. But Both x and y for giving several reasons is not correct. A and B are eliminated.

and also from and from are not correct C and E are eliminated.

The correct answer is D.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts