It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 09:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:51) correct 44% (00:59) wrong based on 77 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 09:55
D. I believe it is the correct idiom. I cannot think of another reason.

spriya wrote:
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 10:04
spriya wrote:

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

I will go with C "in contrast with". Any reason why this shouldnt be true?
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 10:10
nmohindru wrote:
spriya wrote:

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

one advantage of ..... is that the contact [is effected cont over a board] rathar than at a seriers

one advantage of ..... is that the contact [is effected cont over a board] in contrast with a seriers

Contact at a series of regularly spaced points is better that with a series of regularly spaced points

Hope this help!
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 10:12
rao_1857 wrote:
nmohindru wrote:
spriya wrote:

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

one advantage of ..... is that the contact [is effected cont over a board] rathar than at a seriers

one advantage of ..... is that the contact [is effected cont over a board] in contrast with a seriers

Contact at a series of regularly spaced points is better that with a series of regularly spaced points

Hope this help!

yes this does help
rather than at :
here i believe at plays an important role effected over....rather than at a series of

OA is D

cheers
Its Now Or Never

4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
spriya wrote:

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

instead of --used for replacement
I want coffe instead of tea .
rather than -- used to preference.

A)
= ...advantage of X over Y is that the contact.. is effected continously "over a broad surface" (O) instead of
"a series of regulary spaced points..." (S)
O and S are not parallel. also "instead of" is incorrec here.

D) ...advantage of X over Y is that the contact.. is effected continously "over a broad surface" (O) rather than
"at a series of regulary spaced points..." (S)
O and S are ll... and also rather than makes sense here.

correct me if i am wrong

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
x2suresh wrote:
spriya wrote:

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

instead of --used for replacement
I want coffe instead of tea .
rather than -- used to preference.

A)
= ...advantage of X over Y is that the contact.. is effected continously "over a broad surface" (O) instead of
"a series of regulary spaced points..." (S)
O and S are not parallel. also "instead of" is incorrec here.

D) ...advantage of X over Y is that the contact.. is effected continously "over a broad surface" (O) rather than
"at a series of regulary spaced points..." (S)
O and S are ll... and also rather than makes sense here.

correct me if i am wrong

thanks for the example.
now im clear about this

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 11:17
Any idea what is significance of comma after bonding ? doesn't it breaks the flow of sentence ?

Thanks.
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 00:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
this is not a prallelism question. this is purely a meaning based question.

option A misses out the preposition at, which is necessary to describe where the bonding is affected. ‘is effected continuously over a broad surface rather than (at) a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between’. We need something to pin point a location which can only be done by ‘over’, ‘on’, ‘in’ and ‘at’.

'and hence the bonding, is a non-essential modifier in the midddle.

In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, [strike]and hence the bonding,[/strike] is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 02:39
I selected B because it brings in a contrast. Why is B wrong. I believe its making more sense by meaning and its parallel too. Please some one throw some light on this [58 sec]

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 22:51
"in contrast to " is the correct idiom.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 11:01
D :)
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 12:55
good question. my pick is D too.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 03:24
roshanaslam wrote:
this is not a prallelism question. this is purely a meaning based question.

option A misses out the preposition at, which is necessary to describe where the bonding is affected. ‘is effected continuously over a broad surface rather than (at) a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between’. We need something to pin point a location which can only be done by ‘over’, ‘on’, ‘in’ and ‘at’.

'and hence the bonding, is a non-essential modifier in the midddle.

In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, [strike]and hence the bonding,[/strike] is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

Wonderful Explanation, thanks! Kudo to you.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the
bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.
(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

Source --> OG 10

I understood
A - Wrong, Because a contrast is needed in this sentence so instead of is not appropriate
C - Wrong, In contrast with -- Unidiomatic
E - Wrong, Being not correct

Now i am confused between Option B and D, I feel Option B could have also been helpful in reflecting the contrast and thus the right answer.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 02:44
From the GMAT point of view, I think the important Idioms are: 'Instead of' and 'rather than'. The Idioms 'In contrast to' and 'As opposed to' are not as important as the former in GMAT. This distinction would have been unnecessary, but for the fact that meanings of 3 out of the 4 idioms above are fairly similar. So strictly from the GMAT POV, I would chose 'Rather than' if I knew for sure 'Instead of' is incorrect AC.

Taking the sentence out of the GMAT Context I would definitely prefer B - 'As opposed to' over 'Rather than at'.

If an expert can shed some light over the usage then it will be really helpfull.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 02:54
One more reason that I think goes in favour of D is Parallelism.

Sentence:
In metalwork one advantage [strike]of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding[/strike] is that the contact[strike], and hence the bonding,[/strike] is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series [strike]of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between[/strike].

I have struck out all the Middle Men.
Now to maintain the Parallelism, the correct structure should be:
Phrase starting with Preposition < Idiom > Phrase starting with preposition.
Option A: Does not maintain the above structure as 'Instead of' is the preposition and hence the phrase does not start with a preposition
Option B: Same problem structure is not maintained because 'As opposed to' entirely is the idiom.
Option C: Same problem structure is not maintained because 'In contrast to' entirely is the idiom.
Option D: CORRECT - The structure is perfectly maintained as 'Rather Than' is the idiom and hence the next Phrase begins with the preposition 'At'

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 11:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Aside the fact that the big boss always prefers rather than over instead of, beyond GMAT too I will rather not like to use expressions such as opposed to and as against in issues of comparison. In my opinion and as per custom, you can use as against or as opposed to when you are opposed to or against something materially or conceptually. The element of dislike or repudiation should be innate in such contexts. For example, when I say that I am opposed to smoking either within office or in the public or when state that I am against public display of affection, I am meaning to say that I just don’t like them. But you can not use the same expressions to say tha admission in business schools this year has been nearly 150 thousand as opposed to or as against 100 thousands last year as if the relevant years are fighting between themselves. In these cases. proper diction requires to say that admission in business schools has been nearly 150 thousand this year in comparison to ( or as compared to or in contrast to blah, blah )100 thousand last year. Have I made my point?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2011, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact,
and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series
of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.
(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2011, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E is out "being"
B is awkward out
C - "in contrast with" is used to compare like things. It is inappropriate in this context
A - instead of cannot be used to compare clauses

D remains.

Moreover the comparison is

bonding is effected continuously over a broad surface rather than at a series of regularly spaced points

whichscore wrote:
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact,
and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series
of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.
(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at
Re: In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2011, 06:22

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ]