Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4585 [106]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [12]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8806 [9]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [3]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress bu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Poorvasha wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you please help with question 1 and 9 ?
Skywalker18 wrote:
AjiteshArun , mikemcgarry ,daagh ,egmat , GMATNinja , sayantanc2k , RonPurewal , other experts -- can you please help with Question 1(primary purpose) ?
The OP says that this is a GMATPrep question, but I don't like the OA (C). I'd much rather go for option D.

In the current OA, C, we have
JarvisR wrote:
defending a revolutionary theory about the causes of earthquakes and methods of predicting them
I can understand the revolutionary (for the time) and possibly the theory bit (for Wadati’s work suggested that deep events occur in areas... where one crustal plate is forced under another and descends into the mantle), but there is no defense (defending), and no mention whatsoever of anything supporting "predicting them".

Option D says
JarvisR wrote:
discussing evidence for the existence of deep events and the conditions that allow them to occur
This option looks much better. Here we have evidence, not a theory. Evidence fits much better with Kiyoo Wadati convincingly demonstrated their existence. The whole thing, evidence for deep events, is well supported by that such deep events do occur has been accepted only since 1927, when the seismologist Kiyoo Wadati convincingly demonstrated their existence. The rest of it (the conditions that allow them to occur) also seems to work with how the passage discusses how these earthquakes are possible even though "rock is so ductile".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress bu [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello GMATNinja , Skywalker18 , AjiteshArun

Can you explain the below question?
Quote:
The passage supports which of the following statements about the relationship between the epicenter and the focus of an earthquake?
(A) P waves originate at the focus and S waves originate at the epicenter.
(B) In deep events the epicenter and the focus are reversed.
(C) In shallow events the epicenter and the focus coincide.
(D) In both deep and shallow events the focus lies beneath the epicenter.
(E) The epicenter is in the crust, whereas the focus is in the mantle.

According to me , the answer should be C but the OA is D

the passage mentions the below lines
Quote:
the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.

In shallow events --> focus and epicenter are very close
in deep events --> the focus and epicenter are very far

Hence i selected C. Kindly let me know where i am going wrong
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [9]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Quote:
the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.

(C) In shallow events, the epicenter and the focus coincide.

They overlap, perfectly. Nowhere in the passage is mentioned this kind of overlapping

(D) In both deep and shallow events, the focus lies beneath the epicenter.

The green part of the sentence implies that in both kind of events (shallow and deep) the focus and the epicenter are still one on top of the other. They could be a little shifted as circles (if we wanna imagine this way).

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
carcass why is the answer to question 1 (C) defending a revolutionary theory about the causes of earthquakes and methods of predicting them
and not (D) discussing evidence for the existence of deep events and the conditions that allow them to occur

Nowhere does the author discuss anything about predicting earthquakes. D is a better fit? Please clarify.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Quote:
For most earthquakes, Wadati discovered, the interval was quite short near the epicenter, the point on the surface where shaking is strongest. For a few events, however, the delay was long even at the epicenter.Wadati saw a similar pattern when he analyzed data on the intensity of shaking.

Quote:
The question remained: how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture? Wadati’s work suggested that deep events occur in areas (now called Wadati-Benioff zones) where one crustal plate is forced under another and descends into the mantle.

The red part is a new approach related to his discoveries.

Hope this helps.

Ask for further assistance

Regards
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
Fact 1

Quote:
Wadati relied on a time difference between the arrival of primary (P) waves and the slower secondary (S) waves. Because P and S waves travel at different but fairly constant speeds, the interval between their arrivals increases in proportion to the distance from the earthquake focus, or rupture point.

Fact 2

Quote:
Both the P-S intervals and the intensity patterns suggested two kinds of earthquakes: the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.

C says that the waves are distant from focus, which is not true. What is true is that their arrivals difference increases in proportion to the distance from the earthquake focus.

If the EQ is shallow then the difference could be really tiny if no difference at all, if the EQ is deep then the difference is remarkable.

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Hi carcass,

Quote:
C says that the waves are distant from focus, which is not true. What is true is that their arrivals difference increases in proportion to the distance from the earthquake focus.

If the EQ is shallow then the difference could be really tiny if no difference at all, if the EQ is deep then the difference is remarkable.

Not sure where C told that waves are distant from focus, it is just saying that the 'focus is distant' which is supposed to be true in case of deep events. The same is mentioned in following:
Quote:
two kinds of earthquakes: the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.

As per my understanding option A as well as C are saying one and the same thing, if deep event then focus is distant and if focus is distant thet means deep event. I am confused in this.
PLease correct me if my understanding is wrong or if i missed out any point.
TIA :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
3. It can be inferred from the passage that if the S waves from an earthquake arrive at a given location long after the P waves, which of the following must be true?

(A) The earthquake was a deep event.
(B) The earthquake was a shallow event.
(C) The earthquake focus was distant.
(D) The earthquake focus was nearby.
(E) The earthquake had a low peak intensity.

(A) The earthquake was a deep event.

Because P and S waves travel at different but fairly constant speeds, the interval between their arrivals increases in proportion to the distance from the earthquake focus, or rupture point.

This is because the EQ is deep in the crust.

(C) The earthquake focus was distant.

This actually means NOT deep in terms of profundity but in terms of distance on a flat plan or distance. I.E. the focus happens in Tokio and the arrival point of the waves is in Osaka. Point A to B not as point A over B.

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Oh got your point now.
I did not notice that. It was mentioned just in the same para:
Quote:
Instead of comparing the arrival times of seismic waves at different locations, as earlier researchers had done.

Thanks a lot carcass
Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos