It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [1], given: 105

Re: In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 17:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
qlx wrote:
Mike I thought " Demand" always requires a subjunctive hence I chose B.Does that mean that " Demand " like many other verbs can take both the infinitive and subjunctive.Does " Demand " fall in the same category as "ask" , " Beg", "Require", urge etc etc , these can take both the subjunctive and the infinitive. Can you assist? Thanks.

Dear qlx,
I'm happy to respond. :-) The verb "demand" can take a "that" clause in the subjunctive. It can not take the infinitive, and that is not the case in this sentence. In addition to more exotic structures, the verb "demand" can have just an ordinary noun as its direct object.
They demand food.
They demand equal pay for equal work.
They demand a free hour of service.

Here's the OA of this particular sentence:
In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand from those in power the right to practice their particular religion without restriction.
What do the minority groups demand? "the right" (a simple noun)
What right? "the right to practice their particular religion without restriction"
The direct object of the verb "demand" is just the ordinary noun "the right." Here, the infinitive phrase is acting as a noun modifier: it is tell us which right, what kind of right, has been demanded. That's a little exotic. Only a few nouns (right, power, capacity, ability, etc.) idiomatically take the infinitive as a modifier. The idiom involving the infinitive attaches it to the noun, not to the verb. This is very important to understand.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 38

In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 05:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
qlx wrote:
Mike I thought " Demand" always requires a subjunctive hence I chose B.Does that mean that " Demand " like many other verbs can take both the infinitive and subjunctive.Does " Demand " fall in the same category as "ask" , " Beg", "Require", urge etc etc , these can take both the subjunctive and the infinitive. Can you assist? Thanks.

Dear qlx,
I'm happy to respond. :-) The verb "demand" can take a "that" clause in the subjunctive. It can not take the infinitive, and that is not the case in this sentence. In addition to more exotic structures, the verb "demand" can have just an ordinary noun as its direct object.
They demand food.
They demand equal pay for equal work.
They demand a free hour of service.

Here's the OA of this particular sentence:
In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand from those in power the right to practice their particular religion without restriction.
What do the minority groups demand? "the right" (a simple noun)
What right? "the right to practice their particular religion without restriction"
The direct object of the verb "demand" is just the ordinary noun "the right." Here, the infinitive phrase is acting as a noun modifier: it is tell us which right, what kind of right, has been demanded. That's a little exotic. Only a few nouns (right, power, capacity, ability, etc.) idiomatically take the infinitive as a modifier. The idiom involving the infinitive attaches it to the noun, not to the verb. This is very important to understand.

Dear Mike,
Thank you so much for clearing that up, yes what you have explained makes complete sense.
I was do blindly dedicated to the opinion that the verb " Demand " always requires a subjunctive that I chose B even though " The right of practicing " seemed awkward in B.
In fact this is something new.

I know SC is not so black and white as Maths is . But what about the rest of the verbs that have been classified as " Common verbs that take ONLY the command subjunctive "
Demand, dictate,insist, mandate, propose,recommend,request,stipulate, suggest.

1) Apart from demand can other subjunctive verbs also take the direct object?

The mayor proposed power to the minorities. Is this construction correct? Here "Power" is the noun and " to the minorities " is the infinitive modifier.The infinitive idiom attaches to the noun " power" and not to the verb "proposed".

of course the subjunctive construction " The Mayor proposed that power be given to the Minorities " seems better.

2)Also can you share any link where the complete list of such nouns that take infinitive as a modifier is given, such as right, power, capacity, ability,etc .Thanks.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 17:03
qlx wrote:
Dear Mike,
Thank you so much for clearing that up, yes what you have explained makes complete sense.
I was do blindly dedicated to the opinion that the verb " Demand " always requires a subjunctive that I chose B even though " The right of practicing " seemed awkward in B.

I know SC is not so black and white as Maths is . But what about the rest of the verbs that have been classified as " Common verbs that take ONLY the command subjunctive "

The mayor proposed power to the minorities. Is this construction correct? Here "Power" is the noun and " to the minorities " is the infinitive modifier.The infinitive idiom attaches to the noun " power" and not to the verb "proposed".

of course the subjunctive construction " The Mayor proposed that power be given to the Minorities " seems better.

2)Also can you share any link where the complete list of such nouns that take infinitive as a modifier is given, such as right, power, capacity, ability,etc .Thanks.

Dear qlx,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The word "mandate" is used sometimes as a noun, but its use as a verb is quite rare in modern English. I will say, as a general rule, that just about any verb that can take a clause as a direct object can also take a simple noun as a direct object.

I demand respect.
I dictate the terms of the surrender.
I insist on respect.
(notice the idiomatic preposition "on" here)
I propose a truce.
I recommend my best friend for the job.
I request some figgy pudding.
I stipulate three new conditions on the sale.
I suggest a change in the plan.

Now, the construction you suggested is awkward:
The mayor proposed greater political power to the minorities.
Your solution, using a "that" clause with the subjunctive, is one possible improvement. Another would be:
The mayor proposed greater political power for the minorities

I suggested a few common nouns that take an infinitive, but I don't have anything like a complete list available. I would says, we get into a tricky region, because in many cases, an idiomatic infinitive might be conflated with an infinitive of purpose, which any verb might take:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/the-infin ... orrection/

I would say, rather than worry about compiling complete lists of grammatical things, it is far far more important to read, to cultivate a daily habit of hard sophisticated reading.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-im ... bal-score/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 09:58
mikemcgarry wrote:
qlx wrote:
Dear Mike,

Dear qlx,

The word "mandate" is used sometimes as a noun, but its use as a verb is quite rare in modern English. I will say, as a general rule, that just about any verb that can take a clause as a direct object can also take a simple noun as a direct object.

I demand respect.
I dictate the terms of the surrender.
I insist on respect.
(notice the idiomatic preposition "on" here)
I propose a truce.
I recommend my best friend for the job.
I request some figgy pudding.
I stipulate three new conditions on the sale.
I suggest a change in the plan.

Now, the construction you suggested is awkward:
The mayor proposed greater political power to the minorities.
Your solution, using a "that" clause with the subjunctive, is one possible improvement. Another would be:
The mayor proposed greater political power for the minorities

I suggested a few common nouns that take an infinitive, but I don't have anything like a complete list available. I would says, we get into a tricky region, because in many cases, an idiomatic infinitive might be conflated with an infinitive of purpose, which any verb might take:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/the-infin ... orrection/

I would say, rather than worry about compiling complete lists of grammatical things, it is far far more important to read, to cultivate a daily habit of hard sophisticated reading.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-im ... bal-score/

Dear Mike,
Thank you once again for clearing this up.
Yes whatever you have explained makes complete sense. From now on I am not going to blindly go for the subjunctive construction if there is a bossy verb involved.

Yes here my attempt to use mandate as a noun
The Syrian refugees were welcomed only after they promised to adhere to the mandate of the Host country.
The recent elections gave the new political party a clear mandate.

I have tried to use " Mandate " as a noun in both the cases.
I have also tried to use Mandate in two different meanings in both the sentences.
Let me know if I have succeeded.
Thanks.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
qlx wrote:
Dear Mike,
Thank you once again for clearing this up.
Yes whatever you have explained makes complete sense. From now on I am not going to blindly go for the subjunctive construction if there is a bossy verb involved.

Yes here my attempt to use mandate as a noun
The Syrian refugees were welcomed only after they promised to adhere to the mandate of the Host country.
The recent elections gave the new political party a clear mandate.

I have tried to use " Mandate " as a noun in both the cases.
I have also tried to use Mandate in two different meanings in both the sentences.
Let me know if I have succeeded.
Thanks.

Dear qlx,

I would say your second sentence,
"The recent elections gave the new political party a clear mandate."
is perfectly natural, and 9 out of 10 times that the word "mandate" is used, it is used exactly in this sense---some politician or party claiming a "mandate" after an election. Politicians love to do that sort of thing.
The first sentence,
"The Syrian refugees were welcomed only after they promised to adhere to the mandate of the Host country."
is fine. This idea would not typically be expressed in this way, at least in the newspapers, but that's fine. These aren't really two different meanings. The word "mandate" has the root meaning of "a command." In some ways, it is a very one-dimensional word: it has a relatively narrow scope of meanings. Every usage implies some kind of command---the commands of the host country in your first sentence, and the commands of the electorate in the second.

What is much more rare, almost archaic, is using mandate not as a noun, which occurs now and then, but as a verb.
The courts mandated a moratorium on the activities of the agency cited for harassment.
It's sometimes used in legal proceedings, because the courts often use a great deal of archaic language for whatever reason. This is not a usage one typically sees in the newspaper.

I would hazard a guess that one could sit for 20 GMATs and never once see the word "mandate." It's a relatively rare word, especially compared to some of the other "bossy" words.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 04:37
gmacvik wrote:
In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand from the people in power that they have the right to practice their particular religion without restriction.

A) from the people in power that they have the right to practice
B) that the people in power give them the right of practicing
C) to have the right, from the ones in power, to practice
D) the right, from those in power, of practicing
E) from those in power the right to practice

@e-gmat
The use of demand requires "that". The OA does not follow this usage. So I had eliminated (E) and marked (A) as the answer.

Could you please clarify my confusion?

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sahilmshah92 wrote:
gmacvik wrote:
In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand from the people in power that they have the right to practice their particular religion without restriction.

@e-gmat
The use of demand requires "that". The OA does not follow this usage. So I had eliminated (E) and marked (A) as the answer.

Could you please clarify my confusion?

"Demand" does no necessarily take a command subjunctive (in which case "demand that" would be necessary) -"demand X from Y" or reversing the position of direct object and indirect object, "demand from Y X" is also correct.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 326

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 11:28

Can anyone explain the solution to this question.

Kudos are welcome, in case u liked the question :)

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Last edited by Vyshak on 28 Oct 2016, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Please search before posting.

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 326

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 07:58
A. No. Idiom. The correct idiom is either "demand from x the right to y" or "demand the right to y from x." "That they have" is idiomatically incorrect.

B. No. Idiom. The idiom should be "right to practice."

C. No. Redundancy. "Demand to have the right" is a redundant way to say "demand the right."

D. No. Idiom. The correct idiom is either "demand from x the right to y" or "demand the right to y from x." "Of practicing" is incorrect.

E. Yes. Idiom. The correct idiom is either "demand from x the right to y" or "demand the right to y from x."

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 09:57

This is a tricky one and here I am trying to explain it with 4 hours of sleep. :D Let's begin!

"demand X that Y" is in subjunctive form. Usually in this form, action Y is demanded to be performed by X. This sentence is implying that the minority groups demand the authorities to (have the right) practice the authorities' religion! This obviously isn't the meaning of the sentence.
"right to practice" is more idiomatic than "the right of practicing"

3 problems:
1) the right to practice is split by "from the ones in power"
2) "Ones in power" is more arbitrary than "those in power".
3) Redundancy: "demand to have the right" vs " demand the right"

Note: This is NOT an official problem. GMAT doesn't like arbitrary pronouns unless they is used to make the sentence sounds better such as: "It's raining cats and dogs today but don't worry the GMAT doesn't test you on the aforementioned idiom."

Same problem as (B)
The only choice left!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: B

Insanity at its finest.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 09:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

In most social systems, minority groups eventually demand

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap