GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Sep 2013, 20:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

52% (00:59) correct 48% (01:05) wrong based on 510 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush ordered an invasion of Afghanistan in order to remove the Taliban from power, destroy the al-Qaeda terrorist organization, and capture Osama bin Laden.

A)responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush
B)the devastation of the attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers occurred and, responding, President Bush
C)because of the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush responded and
D)in response to the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush
E)New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers were devastatingly attacked, and the response was that President Bush

Originally posted by guygmat on 19 Jun 2011, 09:20.
Last edited by pqhai on 19 Sep 2013, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Rename the topic.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Modifier SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 10:20
@ guygmat
The title says it is a modifier problem. Can I know whether the problem is a dangling modifier or a misplaced modifier in choice A?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2012, 23:17
hey what's d problem with A..is it that too many possesives..

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 01:11
@daag-there is no modifier error in this question .
@rajeev-the only reason why A is wrong in the sentence is because it uses a subordinate adjective clause starting with -ing .Whenever we can avoid the '-ing' form and the idea can be conveyed in a better and concise way try to avoid -ing.But check twice before you omit the option with -ing,cause it might be the best among the worst options at times .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2012, 02:40
Go with "A", but after i have read the explanation of saikarthikreddy it makes more sense. Great tip to remember.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jan 2012, 09:38
saikarthikreddy wrote:
@rajeev-the only reason why A is wrong in the sentence is because it uses a subordinate adjective clause starting with -ing .Whenever we can avoid the '-ing' form and the idea can be conveyed in a better and concise way try to avoid -ing.But check twice before you omit the option with -ing,cause it might be the best among the worst options at times .

Buddy, i disagree with u on the usage of verb+ ing..i think this form of modifier is used more often than any other form of modifier( be it relative clause or past participle or adjective). There are numerous examples(even in OG 12 n verbal 2) to prove that verb +ing modifiers are correct rather i haven't come across a single explanation that says the use of Verb + ing modifier is not correct or not preferred..
IMO the mistake in choice A is the phrase New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers . It is possessive with possessive which is making the sentence awkward.
I think the prepositional phrase in D and the Verb+ ing modifier in A are both correct usage, the problem lies in what is following them.
Do correct me if i am wrong.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Originally posted by rajeevrks27 on 30 Jan 2012, 04:06.
Last edited by rajeevrks27 on 30 Jan 2012, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-04-2013

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 12:38
I really don't get why A is not the best choice. It conveys the meaning and is more concise than D!!!! Also it doesn't add "part" in the sentense which can make it wordier.

Plz smo can help
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 12:59
I think grammatically both are A and D are right, however according to me the awkwardness comes when you see the attack on.It would be much better if we write attack on something which is direct like TWIN TOWER here to make it more concise.Remember GMAT asks you to check the shorter and concise one if everything is right grammatically.
9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 18:24
spreen wrote:
I really don't get why A is not the best choice. It conveys the meaning and is more concise than D!!!! Also it doesn't add "part" in the sentense which can make it wordier.

Plz smo can help

Hi spreen.

D is better than A because of the phrase "in response to". The difference between "in response to" and "responding to" is:
- in response to: means you response to something that is done. In this question, the devastating attack on the Twin Towers is done. Thus, "in response to" is better than "responding to".
- responding to: means you response to something that is still happening at the time of your action.

Similar grammars: "in accordance with" vs. "according to".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-04-2013

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 01:18
pqhai wrote:
spreen wrote:

Plz smo can help

Hi spreen.

D is better than A because of the phrase "in response to". The difference between "in response to" and "responding to" is:
- in response to: means you response to something that is done. In this question, the devastating attack on the Twin Towers is done. Thus, "in response to" is better than "responding to".
- responding to: means you response to something that is still happening at the time of your action.

Similar grammars: "in accordance with" vs. "according to".

Hope it helps.

thank you. That make more sens to me :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Re: In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 15:34
guygmat wrote:
In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush ordered an invasion of Afghanistan in order to remove the Taliban from power, destroy the al-Qaeda terrorist organization, and capture Osama bin Laden.

A)responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush
B)the devastation of the attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers occurred and, responding, President Bush
C)because of the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush responded and
D)in response to the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush
E)New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers were devastatingly attacked, and the response was that President Bush

There is difference in meaning of responding and to respond.
"responding to the devastating attack " What a funny phrase. A eliminated

B, C and E are awkward and ungrametical.
D is correct as "In respons to a attack " It is feasible . One can respond to an action. Correct choice.
Thnx to e-gmat for free pdf.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: 1440 Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE: Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 04:05
Option D looks great as long as you see it individually. However, as soon as you put it back into the sentence, the start looks awkward.

Consider it once again.
In October 2001, in response to the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush ordered an invasion of ...
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 13:42
in response to the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush

Twin Towers ,part of New York’s World Trade Center... is this correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 00:22
@sayantanc2k,@chetan2u
I don't understand what's the problem in A.
is it the Phrase New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers Or any other factor.
Please provide your insights.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 09:53
goforgmat wrote:
@sayantanc2k,@chetan2u
I don't understand what's the problem in A.
is it the Phrase New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers Or any other factor.
Please provide your insights.

Yes, you are right - "in response to" and "responding to" both are alright.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 07:14

--> wordy and awkward.

--> correct.

--> wordy and awkward.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Re: In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 07:14

In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap