Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [41]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [20]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
mun23 wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
TO MUN23
though i picked A but i somehow don't like the question and i doubt if the correct option A is correct . i feel that A is run on .honestly i picked A only on the basis of comparison for only in A comparison is good

i will tell u why A is seeming to me as run on

In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

the two portion that i have marked ,one in bold and the other one in italics ,are two independent clauses joined by comma

plz cite the source

Hi aditya
source is gmat prep question pack

Mun,
Always ask yourself one question . Whether the result is caused by the subject or the action did by the subject. Here emperor penguins did not reduce the rate . It is the huddling act that did the rate reduction.

With this options C, D, & E are ruled out.

In option B it is given as their rate which is wrong.

Option A) is right.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for -- Correct, but I do not like use of so that in this context I would prefer such that instead. I feel Penguins dont know how much percentage energy they will save they just do so because they feel good.
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with -- when compared is not right.
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with -- winner of most awkward gmat prep options.
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to -- nearest nouns are nests or groups plural -- but verb reduces is singular
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than -- same as D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend [#permalink]
Kudos
hfbamafan wrote:

(A) thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
CORRECT. The cause effect relationship is also well maintained.
so that here implies -- "with the result that"
What does "it" refers to here?? it refers to "the rate"

(B) thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
lower should be followed by than AND not when compared with
'the rate at which they burn energy' is better than 'their rate of burning energy'
also, wrong comparison at the end, rate is compared with the isolated birds
Usage of "until" does not seem logical!

(C) and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
wordy choice. Also, the intended meaning is lost by USING "AND" as now the CAUSE and EFFECT relation is lost. INCORRECT.
as compared to what it would be with -- extremely wordy
WHAT does "it" refers to here? its "the rate" again.

(D) which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
usage of "which" is INCORRECT as it is referring to "groups"
who is comparing them to? not logical
also, wrong comparison at the end, rate is compared with the isolated birds

(E) which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than
usage of "which" is INCORRECT as it is referring to "groups"
also, wrong comparison at the end, male emperor penguins are compared with the isolated birds -- this is not the intended comparison!

POINT TO NOTE what "which" is referring to in options D and E:
In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, which thereby reduces [color=#ed1c24]the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than isolated birds.

Here, emperor penguins huddle in groups, "in groups" is referring back to the verb huddle. So, "which" here can refer to "groups" only and nothing else.[/color]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Bookmarks
Sorry I don't understand your q? y reasoning below

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with isolated birds wrong comparison
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to Same as B wrong comparison
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than Same as B wrong comparison
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
In option B I believe lower when compared to is wrong , it should always be a than with lower.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
mailnavin1 wrote:
Sorry I don't understand your q? y reasoning below

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with isolated birds wrong comparison
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to Same as B wrong comparison
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than Same as B wrong comparison

Sorry I just got confused starting a clause in a comparison by "thereby"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM

B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than

Need detail explanation of every answer option

Originally posted by mun23 on 09 Mar 2013, 03:25.
Last edited by mun23 on 09 Mar 2013, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
TO MUN23
though i picked A but i somehow don't like the question and i doubt if the correct option A is correct . i feel that A is run on .honestly i picked A only on the basis of comparison for only in A comparison is good

the two portion that i have marked ,one in bold and the other one in italics ,are two independent clauses joined by comma

plz cite the source
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
CORRECT
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
"until" is not properly used, "when compared with" is unidiomatic (it should be "compared to")
"thereby " is misplaced, the comparison is not logic: "they burn" and "it would be"
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than
which refers to "groups", wrong

whats the difference between thereby reducing and they thereby reduce?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
TO MUN23

plz cite the source

Hi aditya
source is gmat prep question pack
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 1169
GPA: 3.2
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In option D and E , which is modifes groups . it is incorrect.

In option C" and "coordinate conjunction used.
it must be used two combine two independent clauses but not for modifier before.
would be for is idiomatic , would be with is unidiomatic.

In option B lower used but not followed by than.

It is one of the key marker if we want take away in sentence correction such as lower, greater,more, taller and higher must
followed by than most no of times.

If we see some other compartives , for instance, superior, inferior , exterior and interior should follow with preposition "to."

Apart form this , we use compared to for similar items. compared with for two different items.
so it is also wrong in B.

So option A is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
Send PM
Psiva00734 wrote:
Apart form this , we use compared to for similar items. compared with for two different items.
so it is also wrong in B.

So option A is correct.

This is incorrect. Its the other way around.
compare with - similar things
compare to - unlike things

+Kudos if this helped :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for - correct
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with - lower and compared- redundant
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with - wrong comparison due to use of with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to - them cant refer to rate
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than - rate compared with birds
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Pratishtha21 wrote:
A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for - correct
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with - lower and compared- redundant
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with - wrong comparison due to use of with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to - them cant refer to rate
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than - rate compared with birds

Your Explanation for B is wrong.lower and compared are not redundant at all.The problematic thing is the referrant for "their" which could be nests too.plus "compared with isolated birds"is problematic.The rates should be compared.We cant compare rate of burning energy with isolated birds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
hawkeye1234 wrote:
Pratishtha21 wrote:

Your Explanation for B is wrong.lower and compared are not redundant at all.The problematic thing is the referrant for "their" which could be nests too.plus "compared with isolated birds"is problematic.The rates should be compared.We cant compare rate of burning energy with isolated birds.

Thanks for your input Hawkeye!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
VeritasKarishma egmat GMATNinja please help with option A,B, and C why B and C and C are incorrect
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts