It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 90 [1], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 09:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

31% (01:18) correct 69% (01:25) wrong based on 225 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A)Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
B)Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C)Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D)The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E)Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.

Please share reasons for your choice
_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 90 [1], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 15:52
A

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 16:39
A) This is just wrong, password and physical safety cannot be compared like that. Passwords protects against e-attacks and physical againgst dito.
B) Not mentioned in the text
C) Correct, the text mentions that their intel could be valuable to competitors and foreign govt.
D) No clear support in the text
E) Not mentioned at all.
_________________

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:14
IMO D

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 210

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2011, 21:54
It's actually B. I disagree with this answer choice though.

My own answer is A. For inference CRs, one needs to stick to the premises stated without introducing new data to those premises. A does the trick, B does not because it introduces new info.

charleshsu0952 wrote:
IMO D

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 863

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2011, 23:20
not only .... but also ------> this means "password" aint enough. hence A.

All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

A)Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 123

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 01:39
OA is B
_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 187

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 05:16
Very difficult. I chose B, but it seems "true but not relevant" to me. If answer choice C didn't mention the hackers, it would be my choice.

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 187

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 05:19
I think that an answer choice can introduce new info in inference questions when these new infos are completely validated by the premises, as it is with B.

USCTrojan2006 wrote:
It's actually B. I disagree with this answer choice though.

My own answer is A. For inference CRs, one needs to stick to the premises stated without introducing new data to those premises. A does the trick, B does not because it introduces new info.

charleshsu0952 wrote:
IMO D

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 210

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 20:34
Hmm, you're right. I just read Powerscore on the Must Be True Topic.

I had my choices narrowed down to B and A, but picked A.


miguelmick wrote:
I think that an answer choice can introduce new info in inference questions when these new infos are completely validated by the premises, as it is with B.

USCTrojan2006 wrote:
It's actually B. I disagree with this answer choice though.

My own answer is A. For inference CRs, one needs to stick to the premises stated without introducing new data to those premises. A does the trick, B does not because it introduces new info.

charleshsu0952 wrote:
IMO D

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Still Struggling
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 132

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 8

Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2011, 07:23
i m not sure if everything's clear to me..
can somebody pls explain in detail???
_________________

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR : Competitive Edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2011, 12:44
A) sounds right. What is the source?
_________________

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 17

In order to keep the competitive edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 12:25
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.
If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A. Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
B. Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C. Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D. The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E. Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2014
Posts: 35

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 204

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 22:14
jaskarn singh wrote:
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.
If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A. Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
B. Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C. Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D. The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E. Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.



Think its D by POE - not very sure though - OA please!

A - too strong - not mentioned if passwords are "inadequate"
B - again too strong - "not allowed to discuss"
C - cannot infer if we have a high "monetary value" because the argument talks about maintaining a competitive edge
regd research and innovation.
E - "must" attend classes to learn to use latest software? - too strong again!

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 204

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2015
Posts: 121

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

Re: In order to keep the competitive edge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 02:49
I might be wrong but something tells me it might actually be B
I honestly can't think of D as an option coz there is literally nothing said about COMPANY's money being spent on security (it is suggested that employees themselves fix their stuff).
The reason B might be correct is because if its not true, then the security measures are simply futile.

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3452

Kudos [?]: 9761 [0], given: 1238

Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 07:11

Kudos [?]: 9761 [0], given: 1238

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 40

Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 06:34
This one is unclear to me. I'm looking for an inference, i.e. something that must be true. I can sort of accept B as an answer, but I'm not sure why.

Any thought?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 40

SVP
SVP
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1860

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 2406

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 21:12
A is the answer.

the question is made based on a question from gmatclub test. Nevertheless, this question has been slightly modified.
The original question is as followed:
A. The company should install more effective anti-virus software.
B. Using passwords is not the only security measure recommended for the employees
The correct answer for that question is B.

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 2406

Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2018, 21:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.