GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 22:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 10:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

46% (01:29) correct 54% (01:25) wrong based on 376 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A)Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
B)Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C)Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D)The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E)Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.

Please share reasons for your choice

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Re: CR : Competitive Edge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 17:39
A) This is just wrong, password and physical safety cannot be compared like that. Passwords protects against e-attacks and physical againgst dito.
B) Not mentioned in the text
C) Correct, the text mentions that their intel could be valuable to competitors and foreign govt.
D) No clear support in the text
E) Not mentioned at all.

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2011, 22:54
It's actually B. I disagree with this answer choice though.

My own answer is A. For inference CRs, one needs to stick to the premises stated without introducing new data to those premises. A does the trick, B does not because it introduces new info.

charleshsu0952 wrote:
IMO D
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 00:20
not only .... but also ------> this means "password" aint enough. hence A.

All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

A)Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 06:16
Very difficult. I chose B, but it seems "true but not relevant" to me. If answer choice C didn't mention the hackers, it would be my choice.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 06:19
I think that an answer choice can introduce new info in inference questions when these new infos are completely validated by the premises, as it is with B.

USCTrojan2006 wrote:

My own answer is A. For inference CRs, one needs to stick to the premises stated without introducing new data to those premises. A does the trick, B does not because it introduces new info.

charleshsu0952 wrote:
IMO D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 21:34
Hmm, you're right. I just read Powerscore on the Must Be True Topic.

I had my choices narrowed down to B and A, but picked A.

miguelmick wrote:
I think that an answer choice can introduce new info in inference questions when these new infos are completely validated by the premises, as it is with B.

USCTrojan2006 wrote:

charleshsu0952 wrote:
IMO D
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2011, 08:23
i m not sure if everything's clear to me..
can somebody pls explain in detail???

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Manager
Manager
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:44
A) sounds right. What is the source?

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Intern
Intern
In order to keep the competitive edge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 13:25
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.
If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A. Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
B. Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C. Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D. The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E. Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 23:14
jaskarn singh wrote:

A. Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
B. Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C. Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
D. The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
E. Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software.

Think its D by POE - not very sure though - OA please!

A - too strong - not mentioned if passwords are "inadequate"
B - again too strong - "not allowed to discuss"
C - cannot infer if we have a high "monetary value" because the argument talks about maintaining a competitive edge
regd research and innovation.
E - "must" attend classes to learn to use latest software? - too strong again!
Manager
Manager
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 03:49
I might be wrong but something tells me it might actually be B
I honestly can't think of D as an option coz there is literally nothing said about COMPANY's money being spent on security (it is suggested that employees themselves fix their stuff).
The reason B might be correct is because if its not true, then the security measures are simply futile.
Board of Directors
P
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 08:11
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 07:34
This one is unclear to me. I'm looking for an inference, i.e. something that must be true. I can sort of accept B as an answer, but I'm not sure why.

Any thought?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 22:12
A is the answer.

the question is made based on a question from gmatclub test. Nevertheless, this question has been slightly modified.
The original question is as followed:
A. The company should install more effective anti-virus software.
B. Using passwords is not the only security measure recommended for the employees
The correct answer for that question is B.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 16:17

B)Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
C)Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.

IS THE OA D????@Mikegarry
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 06:13
maddy2u wrote:

Please share reasons for your choice

I chose C. The passage says "could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike." The answer choice is directly related to that part of the passage.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our &nbs [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 06:13

In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap