It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to properly evaluate a patient s state of mind and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants

Kudos [?]: 360 [1], given: 52

Schools: Columbia university
In order to properly evaluate a patient s state of mind and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2011, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (00:44) correct 21% (00:35) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery, a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure.

A)a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

B)the operating physician and the patient must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

C)the patient must spend a substantial amount of time with his or her operating physician, thus ensuring that he or she has been made fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure

D)the operating physician must spend a substantial amount of time with the patient, thus ensuring that the patient is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

E)the operating physician must ensure that he or she is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure by spending a substantial amount of time with the patient
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sky is the limit

Kudos [?]: 360 [1], given: 52

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1413 [0], given: 543

Re: In order to properly evaluate a patient s state of mind and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:07
stuck between B and D.. Can someone explain!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1413 [0], given: 543

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2330 [1], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:

In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery, a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure.

The subject of the first action ""In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery" is the the operating physician.
That first part refers to the the physician ONLY, in B however refers to both "the operating physician and the patient".
Also in B the subject of the second clause ", thus ensuring ..." is not clear. In E the structure is clearer : "(the physician ) thus ensuring that the patient", here the roles are well defined.

B)the operating physician and the patient must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

D)the operating physician must spend a substantial amount of time with the patient, thus ensuring that the patient is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 840 [0], given: 276

Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:22
fozzzy wrote:

Who is evaluating the patient's state of mind - Its the Physician
Who wants a informed consent prior to surgery - Again the Physician

In option B, it is not clear who wants whom to be fully awared of the consequences. But option D clearly makes this distinction. Thus it is correct

Hope this resolves your query
Express appreciation by pressing KUDOS button

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Kudos [?]: 840 [0], given: 276

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:38
I know A is wrong, but what is wrong in it, can somebody elaborate?
Also i believe that D alters the meaning, D says that the physician should spend time with the patient, whereas in the original sentence it is vice versa i.e. patient should spend time with physician ...

Some help needed.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 06 Jun 2013, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:

A)a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

The first part "In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery" requires a subject capable of evaluate ...

In A the subject, which is the noun(s) after the comma, is "a substantial period of time". This is logically wrong.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 840 [1], given: 276

Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ankurgupta03 wrote:

A)a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure - Option A introduces a classical misplace modifier error. Lets see how

Opening statement states that "In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery". You may ask yourself, who needs to evaluate a patient's state of mind. I hope the answer you will get will be "Physician". So Physician must come after the opening sentence. But in option A, it's not Physician but "Period of time" that comes after the opening sentence.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Fame
Express appreciation by pressing KUDOS button

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Kudos [?]: 840 [1], given: 276

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:47
Zarrolou wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:

The first part "In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery" requires a subject capable of evaluate ...

In A the subject, which is the noun(s) after the comma, is "a substantial period of time". This is logically wrong.

Hope it's clear

That made sense ... time cannot gain consent ... thanks :)

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

G

Kudos [?]: 1461 [0], given: 270

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 10:03
NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point
The topic will be sticky for 2 days from the date of posting

A) a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

B) the operating physician and the patient must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

C) the patient must spend a substantial amount of time with his or her operating physician, thus ensuring that he or she has been made fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure

D) the operating physician must spend a substantial amount of time with the patient, thus ensuring that the patient is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

E) the operating physician must ensure that he or she is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure by spending a substantial amount of time with the patient

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1461 [0], given: 270

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 82

GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
To understand, break the sentence - "In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery" - Who needs to gain an informed consent - the physician "
"a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure" -- patient needs to become fully aware of pros and cons of undergoing the surgery.
And the operating physician to ensure the patient is fully informed. This is clearly stated in Option D

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 82

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17046 [0], given: 1963

WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
SC Revision: In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 21:13

A. a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

B. the operating physician and the patient must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure

C. the patient must spend a substantial amount of time with his or her operating physician, thus ensuring that he or she has been made fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure

D. the operating physician must spend a substantial amount of time with the patient, thus ensuring that the patient is fully aware of the pros and cons of accepting the undergoing procedure

E. the operating physician must ensure that he or she is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure by spending a substantial amount of time with the patient

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17046 [0], given: 1963

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: SC Revision: In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 01:42
A. property taxes last year were raised by an eleven percent increase by the county government – property taxes --- misplaced modification

B. property taxes were raised by eleven percent last year by the county government --- same as A.

C. the county government raised property taxes by an eleven percent increase last year ---- raised and increase =redundancy

D. the county government last year raised by eleven percent property taxes --- the county government last year--- wrong word order

E. the county government raised property taxes by eleven percent last year--- correct choice

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: SC Revision: In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 02:16

Non Underline part says someone need to evaluate patient's state of mind prior to surgery.
Who can be that someone ? Physician - So, Physician is the star of the sentence.Not the patient

A. a substantial period of time must be spent with the operating physician by the patient to become fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure

- Its passive and star is patient.

B. the operating physician and the patient must spend a substantial amount of time together, thus ensuring full awareness of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure

- It does not focus on any of the parties AND therefore getting detached from the non underlined part

C. the patient must spend a substantial amount of time with his or her operating physician, thus ensuring that he or she has been made fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure

-It says patient is the Star and he needs to spend time. but No . Physician needs to spend time to gain the state of mind of the patient.
D. the operating physician must spend a substantial amount of time with the patient, thus ensuring that the patient is fully aware of the pros and cons of accepting the undergoing procedure

- CORRECT Choice. Does the right thing.

E. the operating physician must ensure that he or she is fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing a surgical procedure by spending a substantial amount of time with the patient

- he or she points to physician. and he does not need to spend time with patient to get aware of pros and cons.He already knows it. He needs to communicate the information to the patient

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 36

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 16:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Other, Other
SC Revision: In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 23:53
daagh wrote:
A. property taxes last year were raised by an eleven percent increase by the county government – property taxes --- misplaced modification

B. property taxes were raised by eleven percent last year by the county government --- same as A.

C. the county government raised property taxes by an eleven percent increase last year ---- raised and increase =redundancy

D. the county government last year raised by eleven percent property taxes --- the county government last year--- wrong word order

E. the county government raised property taxes by eleven percent last year--- correct choice

daagh, I am certain that your answer is incorrect. Please check the question again ;)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 337 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 03:58
souvik101990 wrote:

The sentence starts with "In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent prior to surgery"
Who needs to spend the time? - The physician. Hence we need physician as the subject after the non underlined part.

This straight away removes options A, B and C.
Coming to D and E.

Option E implies that the physician should be aware of the pros and cons. Incorrect.

Correct Option: D

Reach out to us at bondwithus@gmatify.com

Kudos [?]: 337 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 07:06
The sentence begins with the modifier “In order to properly evaluate a patient’s state of mind
and gain informed consent prior to surgery.” This modifier logically should apply to the
modified noun “the operating physician,” as it is the operating physician who must evaluate a
patient’s state of mind and gain informed consent. In other words, "in order to do X" most
properly expresses the intention of the subject of the sentence, and so the subject should be
"the operating physician." The original sentence is incorrect, as the modifier is incorrectly
followed by “a substantial period of time” as opposed to “the operating physician.”

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) In this sentence, the modifier is followed by the compound subject “the operating
physician and the patient.” This choice incorrectly suggests that it is both the operating
physician and the patient that must evaluate the patient’s state of mind and gain informed
consent, as opposed to the physician alone. Also, the final phrase in the sentence, "thus
ensuring full awareness..." does not clarify exactly “whose” full awareness is ensured (the
awareness must clearly be the “patient's”).

(C) This choice places “the patient” immediately after the initial modifier, illogically and
incorrectly suggesting that the patient him or herself will evaluate the patient’s state of
mind. In addition, the pronouns "he or she" are ambiguous; they could refer to the patient or
to the physician.

(D) CORRECT. This choice places the proper subject, “the operating physician,” adjacent to
the opening modifier. Additionally, it is 100% clear that the “patient” is to be made fully aware
of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure.

(E) This choice correctly uses “the operating physician” as the subject of the sentence,
resolving the modifier issue. However, the pronouns “he or she” incorrectly refer to “the
operating physician,” suggesting that it is the physician, rather than the patient, who must be
made fully aware of the pros and cons of undergoing the surgical procedure.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Re: In order to properly evaluate a patient s state of mind and   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2017, 07:06

In order to properly evaluate a patient s state of mind and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap