It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1850 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 05:06
@dasa2013: Follow posting guidelines.

Guidelines:
rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

Specific instructions:
1) If you are posting a question then subject of your post must be first sentence of question.
2) Follow general format of presenting answer choices.
3) Post any doubt under spoiler or in a new post right below your posted question.
4) Underline your SC questions.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1850 [0], given: 229

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9054 [0], given: 335

Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 07:24
dasa2013 wrote:
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.
(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

[Reveal] Spoiler: Error Analysis:
Error Analysis:

in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
and
partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

There sentence has parallel construction error , non underline portion after and starts with partly , so the underline portion also start with partly.
and in this case connect 2 clause in the sentence.

A- As discussed above
B- same parallel issue
C- change the meaning acquiring now tries to modify steers and purpose is lost here
D- should be change the meaning
E- Seems correct but the issue here is first half of the and is not clause. "partly to acquire certain characteristics in their
steers" where second part is "partly because crossbreeding {subject} is {verb} said to provide hybrid vigor

Hi dasa2013,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

You have a doubt that confuses a lot of people who solve this question. You have understood the meaning of the sentence well. There are two reasons why the cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding:

a. to acquire certain characteristics in their steers and
b. to provide hybrid vigor.

However, the second reason is not a sure condition. It is believed that crossbreeding provides hybrid vigor to cattle. Hence, it is not possible that these two reason can be written in perfect identical parallel structures. The word "partly" before both the reasons are enough to make the two reasons parallel.

A thing to note here is that this is a very one of its kind questions and such usages are not very common on GMAT.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9054 [0], given: 335

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 51

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 12:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goodyear2013 wrote:
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreading, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreading is said to provide hybrid vigor.

A. in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
B. in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
C. partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
D. partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
E. partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

I think D is preferred to E because D is more parallel than E.
The structure of D is " partly because <clause > and partly because <clause> " >> More parallel.
Whereas the structure of E is "partly <phrase> and partly because <clause>" >>> Not parallel.

However i feel D is more awkward than E, yet definitely more grammatical than E .
Please help me out with this understanding.
I think it would be great if some gmat expert replies to this thread.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 51

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 174 [1], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
goodyear2013 wrote:
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreading, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreading is said to provide hybrid vigor.

A. in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
B. in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
C. partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
D. partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
E. partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

The question was well explained here: in-recent-years-cattle-breeders-have-increasingly-used-89000.html#p672188

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 174 [1], given: 148

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3480 [1], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jitendra wrote:
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should
acquire certain characteristics
and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

Hello. I saw a lot of debates between D and E. Here is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong. Parallelism problem.

Wrong. D has meaning problem. Logically, cattle breeders use crossbreeding TO acquire good characteristics in their steers. Their current steers, living animals, CAN'T acquire anything.
For example, is your dog able to acquire good characteristics from other dogs. Absolutely NOT, how can a living dog acquire characteristics form other dogs? you can only acquire good characteristics in your dog TO create a new kind of dog that has good characteristics as those of your dog. Thus, D can't be correct.

Correct.

Hope it helps

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3480 [1], given: 123

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 368

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 07:10
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding INDEPENDENT CLAUSE,
After comma I was looking for a dependent clause and I in my opinion I do not see any dependent clause in option E.
Can somebody please clear my doubt ?

Thanks in Advance

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 368

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2014, 05:23
partly x, and partly y....x and y should be parallel.

x and y use verbs to acquire and to provide..in E

all others are not parallel !

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2015, 14:13
I've solved it this way:
(A) in part... NOT PARALLEL (IT MUST BE PARTLY)
(B) in part... NOT PARALLEL (IT MUST BE PARTLY)
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics WRONG --> Sentences with because structure have following meaning: Because (cause) 1st...., 2nd Effect ( several homes burned down, because of the gas explosion.)
Reverse Logic: Steers have acquired certain characteristics, because of crossbreeding.
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers --> SHOULD changes the meaning, Crosbreeders WANT that their steers .....
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers - CORRECT

Experts please comment.
Thanks

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 200

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1059 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 22:19

Two issues:
1) in part vs partly -> maintain the same structure as these two reasons are parallel.
2) that -> that can be used a pronoun or introducing a subordinate clause and not for a reason.
Remotely "in that" can be used but I guess mostly even that is not preferred.

(B)in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
Two issues:
1) same issue as above.
2) The "crossbreeding" is used for some reasons - one of them is that their steers acquires characteristics. We need an intent to show that and we require to + verb .Besides, other part also have to + verb (to + provide)

Plainly, the meaning comes as if their steers acquire certain characteristics by themselves which is not the case.

"Should be" is not parallel to "to verb" (to provide) and also it is stressing on a point which I think doesn't add any value.

(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers ->
Here we can repeat "crossbreeding is said (ellipses - which is not repeated)". Once we add that phrase, it looks perfect
"partly crossbreeding is said to acquire certain characteristics in their steers"
perfectly parallel to the second part as well. - Hence correct

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Last edited by kinjiGC on 09 Jul 2015, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1059 [0], given: 548

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 07:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 40

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 10:29
MrSobe17 wrote:
hiteshsahni wrote:
I have never read such a use of the word 'acquire' anywhere other than in this question's option E.

'to acquire certain characteristics 'in' their steers'

If I say 'He wants to acquire confidence'. That is obviously correct. Because 'to acquire' means 'to obtain' or 'to get'.
But if I say 'He wants to acquire confidence in his friend'. Is this usage of 'acquire' correct?

That is why I ruled out E. Can someone help please?

Same here couple of years later.

Anyone?

Many thanks,
Jay

Perhaps the use is uncommon, but maybe because people don't commonly read about breeding steer for certain characteristics! More importantly, all the other options were grammatically incorrect:

(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics Wrong, not parallel
(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers Wrong, not parallel
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics Awkward wording, ing verb is inferior to the infinitive
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers Introduces unnecessary subjunctive
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers Correct

Making up rules is a real thing for SC; I do it all the time. But in the case of E, it's parallel, the verb is set up correctly, and the breeders are acquiring [something], which is a correct usage.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 04:57

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5506 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 06:39
EBITDA wrote:

A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

Could someone please tell me:

- Why should I discard B, C and D?
- Why is E correct?

E is definitely the most concise and straigthforward construction.

Thank you.

Hi,
You have been advised earlier too to search a topic before posting. Please be careful about this. If you do not find your query satisfied in the earlier posts in thread, you can post your query in the same thread

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5506 [0], given: 112

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 11:43

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Schools: Stanford '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 09:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question displays why sometimes blindly following formulaic rules for SC can sometimes distract / confuse etc (a trap that i myself have fallen into many times especially at the middle stage of study). I have now incorporated "meaning" as a SC category when answering questions in order to overcome this stumbling block

Step 1 - Read sentence
Step 2 - Quick scan of answers - no clear split (use of their / its would be an obvious one) so lets re-read and paraphrase sentance

- Farmers have increasingly used crossbreeding - both for the purpose of giving their steers certain chartacteristics and because crossbreeding => vigour
- Distil... The farmers choose crossbreeding ... why? so that steers gain certain characteristcs

Step 3. Therefore C/D eliminated ... the farmers choose crossbreeding to give steers characteristics, not as a result of steers acquiring characteristics
Step 4. A / B eliminated as in part is not parrallel to partly
= E

There are many other approaches but this for me is the quickest way to approach meaning questions ... 1. analyse 2.understand 3.choose answers that agree on meaning 4. Identify grammatical/parralelism problems 5. Eliminate 6. Choose

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 12:59
Agree with hiteshsahni, though E follows parallelism, it gives an awkward meaning....Experts pls comment.

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 97

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 05:29
parallelism ,,,,i picked D,,,

No OA provided,,,kindly update the OA experts

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 97

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 05:44
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

What an annoying question! I was asked to take this on by private message, and I see why it's bothered so many of you. Let's discuss

204. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should
acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

The thing to remember about PARALLELISM (which is the issue here) is that it is ALL about the parallel markers. You're more concerned with the single word that comes after the parallel marker. From there, things get iffy. The parallel marker here is AND, and the word after it is PARTLY. That's your parallelism. You gotta have another "partly".

PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and the "should". This isn't about what "should" happen. The breeders do it SO THAT the steer will acquire certain characteristics.

PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and an odd idiom. You don't do something "for the acquisition" of something else, but "in order to acquire" something else.

PROBLEM: They don't do it "because of their steers acquiring..." that sounds like they crossbreed AFTER the steers have acquired the characteristics. But they do it IN ORDER that the steers might acquire the characteristics.

PROBLEM: I know we all want this one because it says "partly because" and doesn't sound as bad as C, but the "should" is still a meaning issue. There's no question of SHOULD here. The issue is meaning. The breeders crossbreed because they WANT something to happen.

ANSWER: Yes, I know it isn't as parallel as we'd like. It would be nice to say "partly to X" and "partly to Y" OR "partly because of X" and "partly because of Y". But we don't get that option. This is still parallel enough (with the two "partly"s), and from there it's all about meaning.

Tough one! Hope that helps.

-tommy

Hi. I hace a small doubt here.
Option E goes like this.
partly---(followed by a phrase) and partly--(followd by a clause)
I always thought parallel elements should have the same structure. Can you please explain where I am going wrong ?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 07:56
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

What an annoying question! I was asked to take this on by private message, and I see why it's bothered so many of you. Let's discuss

204. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should
acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

The thing to remember about PARALLELISM (which is the issue here) is that it is ALL about the parallel markers. You're more concerned with the single word that comes after the parallel marker. From there, things get iffy. The parallel marker here is AND, and the word after it is PARTLY. That's your parallelism. You gotta have another "partly".

PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and the "should". This isn't about what "should" happen. The breeders do it SO THAT the steer will acquire certain characteristics.

PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and an odd idiom. You don't do something "for the acquisition" of something else, but "in order to acquire" something else.

PROBLEM: They don't do it "because of their steers acquiring..." that sounds like they crossbreed AFTER the steers have acquired the characteristics. But they do it IN ORDER that the steers might acquire the characteristics.

PROBLEM: I know we all want this one because it says "partly because" and doesn't sound as bad as C, but the "should" is still a meaning issue. There's no question of SHOULD here. The issue is meaning. The breeders crossbreed because they WANT something to happen.

ANSWER: Yes, I know it isn't as parallel as we'd like. It would be nice to say "partly to X" and "partly to Y" OR "partly because of X" and "partly because of Y". But we don't get that option. This is still parallel enough (with the two "partly"s), and from there it's all about meaning.

Tough one! Hope that helps.

-tommy

Really amazing, Tommy. Appreciate it!!

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 20:48
rohansherry wrote:

A. "In part" is not parallel.
B. "In part" is not parallel.
C. "Because of their steers" is not parallel to "is said to provide hybrid vigor."
D. "Should be acquired by their steers" is not parallel to "is said to provide hybrid vigor."
E. Correct.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 21

Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding,   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 20:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap