Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [26]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [19]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618920 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal serv [#permalink]
Bookmarks
E - Who is referring to email? postal services.. and they are doing it in the present. so present tense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal serv [#permalink]
Kudos
I think E is the best option.

B,C,D can be eliminated due to their use of 'about'.

Between A & E, I choose E becasuse 'Referring to' is parallel to 'are being limited'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Why is anxiety "about" wrong? You can't have anxiety "about" an upcoming exam? Is it "over" or "regarding" or something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
NewSc2 wrote:
Why is anxiety "about" wrong? You can't have anxiety "about" an upcoming exam? Is it "over" or "regarding" or something?

- expressed anxiety about their prospects ...
- expressed anxiety that their prospects ...
=> the use of about here distorts meaning. if you read the sentence with about it sounds like the postal services were not anxious because their prospects...
If I'll use your example "anxious about the exam" I can transfer it to "anxious that the exam will be hard"
you can see that the two sentences mean two different things. in the first you are probably anxious because the exam date is nearing or something like that. In the second you are anxious because you think that the exam will be hard and not because anything else.
Hope that helps..
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3946 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
IMO, E.

"about" is a preposition, so it can be followed only by a noun. In this case, we have a clause.

If I am right, I think I deserve kudos. 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
kichha51 wrote:
Whats wrong with "A" ?

In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.

1) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
2) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
3) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
4) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
5) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

think it may be tense problem- either it could be have expressed or simply express. Look at 2 things- current popularity of electronic mail and are being limited.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Chetangupta wrote:
kichha51 wrote:
Whats wrong with "A" ?

In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.

1) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
2) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
3) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
4) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
5) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

think it may be tense problem- either it could be have expressed or simply express. Look at 2 things- current popularity of electronic mail and are being limited.

ALSO, (somebody please correct me if I am wrong) I think a participle modifier "Referring .... " is preferred over a prepositional modifier "In reference to" for the noun "postal services".
eg. "According to ...." is preferred over "In accordance to/with ..."
eg. "Regarding ...." is preferred over "In regard to/with"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
First of all a few concepts:

This is a generalization observed by the postal people. . Use of present tense ‘express' is the most proper way of describing the verb. So choices that use ‘expressed. i.e., A, B, and D are out.

In C the use of ‘when referring to’ restricts the meaning to the narrow timing of reference, or even whenever the reference is made to. A generalization is however broader than that and hence the use of 'referring to' is more appropriate.
That makes E the choice.

(A)In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
(B)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(C)When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
(D)With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(E)Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that.

When you use a preposition such as ‘about’, you should follow it up with a noun or noun phrase (without a working verb). In B, C and D, the preposition ‘about’ is followed by a full clause ‘their prospects for remaining profitable are being limited by their antiquated business model.’ This is grammatically in correct.

On the contrary, E uses a proper subordinate connector ‘that ‘to introduce the subordinate clause. Hence E is grammatically correct.

Interestingly, here is a similar 1000 SC version. Q. N0. 397

397. In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that their prospects for being hired and promoted are being stunted by their habit.
(A) In reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety that
(B) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(C) When referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety about
(D) With reference to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently expressed anxiety about
(E) Referring to the current hostility toward smoking, smokers frequently express anxiety that

Needless to say, the answer choice is E here also.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
(B) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
(E) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

The critical difference between B and E is:

'B' uses ‘about’, which is a preposition. A preposition can only be followed by a noun/ pronoun or noun phrase and not a verbed clause. However, what you have after about is a verbed clause. This is grammatically wrong. So one can confidently remove B, C and D for using 'about' before a clause.

On the contrary E uses 'that', which is a subordinate conjunction and what follows conjunction must be a verbed clause. That is what we have in E.

In gist, what decides the correctness after 'about' or 'that is what follows these critical words. We can use 'about' and still make B correct as under.
Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about their prospects for being profitable becoming limited by their antiquated business model.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Send PM
raghavakumar85 wrote:

* (A) In reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety that
* (B) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
* (C) When referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety about
* (D) With reference to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently expressed anxiety about
* (E) Referring to the current popularity of electronic mail, postal services frequently express anxiety that

OA After Discussion!

I might sound dumb in asking this question but how can postal services express anxiety?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'postal services' means , people concerned with postal services.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts