It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 279 [1], given: 2

Reviews Badge
In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2012, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (01:45) correct 34% (03:05) wrong based on 331 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice typically produce antibodies that destroy the virus by binding to proteins on its surface. Mice infected with a herpesvirus generally develop keratitis, a degenerative disease affecting part of the eye. Since proteins on the surface of cells in this part of the eye closely resemble those on the herpesvirus surface, scientists hypothesize that these cases of keratitis are caused by antibodies to herpesvirus.

Which of the following, if true, gives the greatest additional support to the scientists’ hypothesis?

A. Other types of virus have surface proteins that closely resemble proteins found in various organs of mice.
B. There are mice that are unable to form antibodies in response to herpes infections, and these mice contract herpes at roughly the same rate as other mice.
C. Mice that are infected with a herpesvirus but do not develop keratitis produce as many antibodies as infected mice that do develop keratitis.
D. There are mice that are unable to form antibodies in response to herpes infections, and these mice survive these infections without ever developing keratitis.
E. Mice that have never been infected with a herpesvirus can sometimes develop keratitis.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 279 [1], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [2], given: 283

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
kingb wrote:
In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice typically produce antibodies that destroy the virus by binding to proteins on its surface. Mice infected with a herpesvirus generally develop keratitis, a degenerative disease affecting part of the eye. Since proteins on the surface of cells in this part of the eye closely resemble those on the herpesvirus surface, scientists hypothesize that these cases of keratitis are caused by antibodies to herpesvirus.

Which of the following, if true, gives the greatest additional support to the scientists’ hypothesis?

A. Other types of virus have surface proteins that closely resemble proteins found in various organs of mice.
B. There are mice that are unable to form antibodies in response to herpes infections, and these mice contract herpes at roughly the same rate as other mice.
C. Mice that are infected with a herpesvirus but do not develop keratitis produce as many antibodies as infected mice that do develop keratitis.
D. There are mice that are unable to form antibodies in response to herpes infections, and these mice survive these infections without ever developing keratitis.
E. Mice that have never been infected with a herpesvirus can sometimes develop keratitis.

Nice question. Here goes my understanding in a dramatic and hopefully in a comprehensible way:

1. Virus attacks the mice.
2. The mice fights back using its soldiers(antibodies) to destroy the crew of enemy (proteins of the virus).
3. This time Herpesvirus attacked mice. Assume that herpesvirus is a strong enemy whose soldiers (proteins) coincidentally look like the people(proteins) on the surface of a part of mice eye.
4. The soldiers of mice(antibodies), unable to identify the difference, also attacked his own people ( proteins on that part of the eye) by binding with them and thus causing keratitis.

Scientists hypothesize that keratitis in such cases is caused by the soldiers (antibodies) of the mice that were sent to attack the virus. You are asked to support this.
option D says-
There are mice that did not send its soldiers(antibodies) to fight herpes and such mice did not develop keratitis after surviving the invasion by Herpes. - This clearly shows that Keratisis was caused by the soldiers (antibodies) of the mice in the earlier case when the mice had actually sent antibodies to fight herpes. When the mice sent no soldiers to fight, there was no keratitis.

Hope it brought Thor into your mind. (Bahubali for Indians) :)
Have fun with CRs.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [2], given: 283

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 50

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2012, 07:21
Its a causal argument: Cause: developing antibodies--------> Effect: Keratitis
Option D strengthen the argument by showing No Cause-No effect.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 50

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 18:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 59

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 22:15
I have a simple query. I understand the no cause no effect situation.
My understanding - Antibodies bind on proteins (found on antibodies' surface) to destroy viruses. Similar proteins are found on the surface of herpesvirus. Herpesvirus leads to keratitis. Thus Antibodies cause keratitis.
Now, when the function of the antibodies is to destroy the virus as given in the question, therefore, they are only reducing the chances of keratitis by fighting herpesvirus. Therefore, how can they cause keratitis? They lead to lower cases of keratitis.

Lets see it this way - More herpes more keratitis. Antibodies fight herpes. Thus, less chance of keratitis.

Kindly help...

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 02:04
TaN1213 wrote:
kingb wrote:

Nice question. Here goes my understanding in a dramatic and hopefully in a comprehensible way:

2. The mice fights back using its soldiers(antibodies) to destroy the crew of enemy (proteins of the virus).
3. This time Herpesvirus attacked mice. Assume that herpesvirus is a strong enemy whose soldiers (proteins) coincidentally look like the people(proteins) on the surface of a part of mice eye.
4. The soldiers of mice(antibodies), unable to identify the difference, also attacked his own people ( proteins on that part of the eye) by binding with them and thus causing keratitis.

Scientists hypothesize that keratitis in such cases is caused by the soldiers (antibodies) of the mice that were sent to attack the virus. You are asked to support this.
option D says-
There are mice that did not send its soldiers(antibodies) to fight herpes and such mice did not develop keratitis after surviving the invasion by Herpes. - This clearly shows that Keratisis was caused by the soldiers (antibodies) of the mice in the earlier case when the mice had actually sent antibodies to fight herpes. When the mice sent no soldiers to fight, there was no keratitis.

Have fun with CRs.

Excellent explanation -------
Now i believe i am able to understand conclusion to some extent-------------------------
Kudos given-----------------------
in the form of Mjolnir!--------------------

Over & out!

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 283

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 11:32
talismaaniac wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
kingb wrote:

option D says-

Have fun with CRs.

Excellent explanation -------
Now i believe i am able to understand conclusion to some extent-------------------------
Kudos given-----------------------
in the form of Mjolnir!--------------------

Over & out!

Glad I could help. :-) Mjolnir :p

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 283

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1865 [0], given: 446

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 14:54
Quote:

talismaaniac wrote:
I have a simple query. I understand the no cause no effect situation.
My understanding - Antibodies bind on proteins (found on antibodies' surface) to destroy viruses. Similar proteins are found on the surface of herpesvirus. Herpesvirus leads to keratitis. Thus Antibodies cause keratitis.
Now, when the function of the antibodies is to destroy the virus as given in the question, therefore, they are only reducing the chances of keratitis by fighting herpesvirus. Therefore, how can they cause keratitis? They lead to lower cases of keratitis.

Lets see it this way - More herpes more keratitis. Antibodies fight herpes. Thus, less chance of keratitis.

Kindly help...

The first red flag is that this analysis contradicts information given in the passage: "Mice infected with a herpesvirus generally develop keratitis." So we KNOW that mice infected with herpesvirus generally develop keratitis, and we have to support a hypothesis explaining WHY that happens.

Let's think about the cycle:

• A mouse gets infected with herpesvirus.
  • Antibodies are produced to fight the infection.
  • WHILE the antibodies are fighting the infection, they are also destroying the cells in the eye (CAUSING keratitis).
  • MAYBE the antibodies successfully eliminate the herpesvirus (or maybe not... we don't know whether the antibodies will win the fight). In that case, the antibodies would no longer be produced. Regardless, the keratitis has ALREADY developed by that point. Maybe the keratitis would then go away too, but we don't know (or care) about that. All that matters is that the antibodies caused the keratitis in the first place.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1865 [0], given: 446

Re: In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 14:54

In response to viral infection, the immune systems of mice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap