It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 03:31
souvik101990 wrote:
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots. Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X. Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

Which of the following, if true, justifies the airline’s conclusion?

A. The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.

B. It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport.

C. There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.

D. Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.

E. Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.

Hi Souvik,

I marked E as the answer but it is wrong. Please explain how A is the answer.

Thanks & Regards
Rajat Mahan
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 03:50
souvik101990 wrote:
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots. Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X. Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

D. Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.

E. Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.

souvik101990, Please check the answer it is E not A.
find below link for reference
in-response-to-years-of-increasing-congestion-at-airport-x-98146.html

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 19:40
souvik101990 wrote:

A cannot be the correct answer. OA is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Re: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 21:16
thevenus wrote:
A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
Airlines people are saying that the new diversion will harm business but , if this diversion is making less congestion then more customers will travel,Contender.
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second
airport.
Doesn't matter but indeed a contender because passengers who are from country A will not have major problem even if they are not landing at X.
(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.
The prime idea of involving Y is to reduce the congestion at X so, even if Y has fewer runways ,it is doing its job well in reducing the congestion by some level.Doesn't make any sense because we have been asked to refute the conclusion which says that the business will decrease because of the diversion.
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the
final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
Actually it's strengthening the conclusion that the airline people will loose business.(we have to refute it)
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight
connections they offer at airport X.
But what if they will face congestion and their flights will be delayed?NO!

(A) is the reasonable answer.

My question here is, that if the customers prefer less congested airport and if the above measure is an attempt to reduce the congestion, then the business should go up because of that, right?
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V28
GPA: 2.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 12:56
This question has baffled me for some time now ...
I cannot understand how OA is A...
It has to be E because of the above said reasons and also of the point in the argument that states ' lost business'
Someday i wish the author of this qxn clears the fog around this question...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 06:28
Guys I think E should be the answer.
Lost business means losing customers
Loss in business would be reduction in profit and others factors.
So here its lost business. So we should find an option that gives a hint of customers choosing one flight over other . so flights who cannot land on X loses customers. Hence lost buisness.
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
#Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 21:12
E seems to be correct ; please change the OA :|

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 02:56
Request an expert , to clear the confusion on following points:
1. Was the question correct?
2. Is the OA (which unfortunately is A!!) correct?

Eagerly waiting for experts advices
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 04:13
IMO, E should be correct. Here's the reasoning:

I am a traveler form continent A. I need to fly to continent B. I usually choose say, 'GoFly' airways.

What happens now-
I take a GoFly flight and reach airport X, and from there, 'GoFly' offers many convenient connecting flights to Continent B. Overall, a smooth journey. At the end- I love GoFly and will definitely come back! :)

What will happen after the change-
I will take a GoFly plane to reach airport Y, and i will have to struggle for connecting flights because GoFly does not provide connecting flights from there. Either i will have to wait for hours or will have to take a cab to airport X and take a flight from there. Overall a painful journey. At the end- I hate GoFly and will not choose it again! :(

As a result, business lost for GoFly.

Does this make sense?

Please let me know if im wrong

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 11:20
Whats correct OA
Some links mention A and some E
Although I also voted for E

But if its A somebody please explain how its A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 11:20
Whats correct OA
Some links mention A and some E
Although I also voted for E

But if its A somebody please explain how its A
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.62
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 07:45
IMO E is the correct answer not A.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 11:48
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 06:16
Can a moderator adjust the answer? I've seen this question before and know the one on here is wrong.

Justification for it to not be A: If the customer prefer the airports to not be congested they will get their preference. The airports will have fewer flights into them now that they are split. This would cause more customers to want to fly into these airports and increase business.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 21:36
It has to be E! A does not make any sense. Please edit the post.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 09:56

What is confusing me and I believe from the earlier posts , it is confusing others too is the term Äirline's conclusion".
According to my understanding , Airlines conclusion as underlined is that they will loose business in which case I believe E will strengthen the stand.

However if we look at the answer here which is A- it resonates with the first line of the question ïn response to years of increasing congestion". So does the question mean strengthen the stand taken by the government? Please clarify
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 16:32
A is correct: 'would be rerouted to nearby airport Y' means the airport Y is already having its own arriving flights from other countries, and this decision will result in more congestion in airport Y.

A: The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports: means all the customers=>if all the customers avoid travelling... therefore it will result in business loss.
A is a better choice than D and E as these two choices state MANY customer and Many travelers and not ALL.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 21:49
ANSWER IS (E)

WHY?
The airlines are mad that they will LOSE BUSINESS. Let's LOOK for an answer that means the airlines will LOSE BUSINESS AS A RESULT OF THIS CHANGE, NOT NECESSARILY INCREASE COSTS. THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE SEPARATE QUESTION.

A - The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.. Sure, the customers prefer it, but all flyers from continent B are in the same boat as they were before, so we have to assume they wouldn't care. All flyers from continent A don't have a choice but to go to airport Y...Are they going to now travel by boat just because the new airport is a 30 minute drive from the old one? NO. REMEMBER: These people are coming from another CONTINENT, on LONG FLIGHTS. WRONG ANSWER.

B - It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport. Again, like A, are flyers really going to care about a 5 minute flight difference on their 8+ hour airline flight? NO. WRONG ANSWER.

C - There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.POSSIBLY. If airlines are forced to land their planes at Airport Y, but there are few customers there flying out of Airport Y, then planes will leave with many empty seats. If X was the HUB airport, and now airlines are forced to switched to Y, flyers will need to become aware of the switch. The airlines aren't going to have all the same customers flocking to airport Y as they had flocking to airport X. HOWEVER, the airlines could always fly their jets from within the continent over to airport X. Though this would INCREASE COSTS, it WOULD NOT NECESSARILY REDUCE BUSINESS. REMEMBER, the question asks about reduced BUSINESS. WRONG ANSWER.

D - Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.No effect on business. People aren't going to choose to travel by plane instead of boat or car just because the better transport links. This is just a perk for travelers coming from continent AWRONG ANSWER.

E - Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.The governmental switch affects ALL AIRLINES from CONTINENT A, not just SOME. SO, ALL TRAVELERS from Continent A are FORCED to deal with the switch. Again, people aren't going to hop on a train with their family now because of the switch. Besides, travelers still have the option to fly DIRECTLY from continent A to continent B, BUT THAT WOULD affect the companies' business, as this could increase COSTS OF FLYING TO THE CONSUMER (THINK: NONSTOP ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN 1+ STOPS)KEEP IT.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
inequality wrote:

(A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second
airport.
(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the
final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent
B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight
connections they offer at airport X.

IMO if the question was to justify Government's conclusion then answer would've been A. But for airline's conclusion, it is E.
Do we have an Expert's answer on this?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 18:12
IMO A.
Premise 1: Government decided to divide the "congestion" between X and Y airports.
Premise 2: Several airlines opposed this decision as they will loose business.
So the correct answer should say that government's decision will help in "not" loosing the business.
A says that :The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports. So, if the airports are congested, customers will not take airlines to travel and then airlines will loose business. So government's decision of dividing the congestion will intact the airline customers.
Re: #Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X   [#permalink] 06 May 2016, 18:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 45 posts ] 

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap