It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 726 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 07:43
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Ok per your analysis what is verb in D? Is it non-run-on sentence per your analysis?

In D and E , I don't find any subject verb problem.

But remember, GMAC usually prefers sentences which are

1. in Active form
2. Clear and short(meaning Not Awkward)

Both D and E are in passive form while we have an answer choice in active form which is not incorrect grammatically and logically. Hence, A is preferred over D and E.

Also, E has 'where' and as per GMAC rules, where is used only for Places.

Always find the BEST answer out of those given, if not 100% accurate.

o, A is the BEST answer choice out of 5 given

V21 ---> V40!

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7626 [0], given: 362

WE: Education (Education)
Re: In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 21:37
Top Contributor
D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well

D’s most serious problem arises the redundancy of two adverbs namely consequently and therefore. In addition, the use of the subordinate conjunction since and the adverb ‘consequently’ is jarring. Furthermore, one can notice some weird structure in D. While in C, the proceeds is a verb meaning follows’ in D, because the verb -are protected- is placed next to the word ‘proceeds’, proceeds tends to become a plural noun meaning --the resultant products or outcome--. The correct way of presenting the structure would have been to set off the modifier part-- from which new growth proceeds – within a pair of commas as follows. - since the buds, from which new growth proceeds, are protected by a thick layer needle ….

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7626 [0], given: 362

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 06:21
Divyadisha wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the buds form which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles, protects the buds form which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well
B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires
D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well
E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

OG 2017 New Question

There are two types of modifiers in the sentence- 'which' and 'where'

Where can only refer to place and not to thing. Hence 'where' can not refer to buds. B and E are out.

C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires. 'withstand relatively well any forest fires' must be 'withstand forest fires relatively well '
D) In some types of pine tree,since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well. run on sentence

A is the answer

Hi Divyadisha,

The problem with option C is with the verb " protect", we dont have sub verb agreement. since, a thick layer of needles is used, the verb should be singular, hence "protects".

Please elaborate: how "withstand forest fires relatively well" be different from" withstand relatively well any forest fires". i know, the second option doesnt sound correct.

Regards.

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 06:24
daagh wrote:

D’s most serious problem arises the redundancy of two adverbs namely consequently and therefore. In addition, the use of the subordinate conjunction since and the adverb ‘consequently’ is jarring. Furthermore, one can notice some weird structure in D. While in C, the proceeds is a verb meaning follows’ in D, because the verb -are protected- is placed next to the word ‘proceeds’, proceeds tends to become a plural noun meaning --the resultant products or outcome--. The correct way of presenting the structure would have been to set off the modifier part-- from which new growth proceeds – within a pair of commas as follows. - since the buds, from which new growth proceeds, are protected by a thick layer needle ….

Sir, Please elaborate why option C is wrong. is subject verb error the only error. Are both the constructions : "withstand forest fires relatively well" and " withstand relatively well any forest fires", correct? i know, the second option doesnt sound correct.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 08:13
AbdurRakib wrote:
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well
B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires
E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

OG 2017 New Question(Book Question: 739)

A) seems fine
B) POE SVA issue [a thick...] singular subject must agree with a singular verb [protects] not [protect]
C) POE Same issue as B
D) POE Since, consequently, therefore - makes the sentence very redundant.
E) POE [where from new growth happens] should be which because buds are not a place [relatively well as a result] sounds a lot more redundant than [relatively well]

My GMAT Journey From 550 - 740

My application debrief to Kellogg '19

My MBA Blog

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 51

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 17

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well

Correct
-- Use of where is wrong
-- A thick layer(Singular)..... Protect(Plural) SV number agreement error
-- Therefore is redundant
-- use of where is wrong.

Am i correct , pls comment

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 17

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 11:00
AbdurRakib wrote:

I think this is a rather decent questions because I initially disregarded option A only to come back and realize it is the best option.

Reasons:

A - Thought the semi colon was awkward at first but came to realize that 1) it is grammatically correct because the clause that follows in an independent clause 2) the ending of the sentence is very elegant

B - Changes the meaning. the original sentence states that the growth of the needs is a consequence not the reason why they grow

C - The ending of the sentence they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires is incredibly awkward

D - D is even more awkward than C

E - What is the antecedent for they? very ambiguous. Also the ending easily as a result gives me nightmares.

Hope this helps. I know it helps me personally by writing out my explanations.

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 94

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 20:52

Absolutely correct.
problem #1: GMAT preserves the where for real places, so here its usage is incorrect.
problem #2: "so that" must be use for intention or purpose. here withstanding the forest fire is not intention or purpose of thick layer of needles;
subject verb agreement problem.
consequently and therefore are redundant.
again problem of where and the independent clause of the sentence is wordy.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 94

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 06:45
Divyadisha wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the buds form which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles, protects the buds form which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well

OG 2017 New Question

There are two types of modifiers in the sentence- 'which' and 'where'

Where can only refer to place and not to thing. Hence 'where' can not refer to buds. B and E are out.

C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires. 'withstand relatively well any forest fires' must be 'withstand forest fires relatively well '
D) In some types of pine tree,since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well. run on sentence

A is the answer

i agree that answer is A but i think there is some typing error as it should be - " in some types of pine trees instead of types of pine tree

else insted of they it should be used in sentence after semi colon.

do let me know if i am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 07:54

option C D E are out
a thick layer is singular hence require the singular verb protects .C eliminated
consequently they can therefore .Redundant.D eliminated
are able to and as a result is also redundant.E eliminated

In B
where refers to the bud which is wrong it can only refer to the places ,location

A wins

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 14:18
i thought consequently was a transition word and thus it needs to be ;consequently, i guess maybe i just shouldnt focus on that? what am i missing?

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 14:19
i thought consequently was a transition word and thus it needs to be ;consequently, i guess maybe i just shouldnt focus on that? what am i missing?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 222

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 03:08

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 222

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Insead Sept '17
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 21:03
I saw the "well" is moving around.
Can explain what's wrong with "withstand forest fires relatively well" and "withstand relatively well forest fires).
I thought "well" is an adjective, modifying the word forest fire.
Relatively is adverb, modifying well.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1381 [0], given: 380

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:31
RUSDI wrote:
I saw the "well" is moving around.
Can explain what's wrong with "withstand forest fires relatively well" and "withstand relatively well forest fires).
I thought "well" is an adjective, modifying the word forest fire.
Relatively is adverb, modifying well.

"Well" is an adverb here, modifying the verb phrase "withstand forest fires." "Well" is always an adverb, unless we're talking about health. (Example: "After a long struggle with hemorrhoids, Mike is well again." "Well" is an adjective in this case, describing Mike -- but you're very unlikely to see this usage on the GMAT.) Here's another example that gets into the difference between "good" (an adjective) and "well" (usually an adverb): https://gmatclub.com/forum/on-the-tourn ... 21371.html

In this question, the placement of "well" is clearer when it comes after "forest fires." In A, B, and D, it's clear that "well" modifies the entire phrase "withstand forest fires"; in C, it's a little bit less clear, because it's harder to figure out what, exactly, the pine trees withstand.

But the placement of "well" really isn't a big deal, to be honest. Notice that there's really no good reason to care about the placement of "well" in this question. C is the only answer choice that puts the word "well" in an awkward location, but C also has a terrible subject-verb error. So the placement of "well" really isn't the deciding factor.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1381 [0], given: 380

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Economics, Marketing
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 12:14

Meaning of the sentence:
In some types of pine tree there is a layer of needles that protects the buds, which is where the growth of the tree continue, due to this protection of the buds the tree is able to resist forest fires somewhat well.

1. Clauses connection
Independent clause connection - [color=#00a651];
OK

2. SV agreement
Thick layer vs protects Ok
Growth vs proceeds Ok
They(some types) vs Are able Ok

3. Modifiers
in some types of trees - Ok
the buds vs which - Ok[/color]

Meaning change:
1 - Needle layer vs Layer of needle
2 - ;consequently vs so they can withstand forest fires
The sentence makes it sound that the layer was created in order to protect the tree from fire, however as per sentence one, this is only a consequence.

Redudancy

FROM + WHERE

Verb agreement:
1 - Thick layer(singular) vs protect(Plural)

Needle Layer again!
Redundancy
Since+Consequently + therefore

Wordy
1.Because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles
2.are able relatively easily as a result

Meaning change
Relatively easily vs relatively well

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 12:32
1. A thick layer is Singular
Verb- Proctects
Subject- A thick layer

2. From which and From where

Bud is a item or part of plant and not a place
So From which is correct

3. Look for Redundancy

Correct answer is A

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 111

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Erasmus '18
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 03:39
Hi,

Is it correct use "from which" instead of "from where" to modifies "buds"?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 111

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 04:47
brightandamen wrote:
Hi,

Is it correct use "from which" instead of "from where" to modifies "buds"?

Hi brightandamen ,

GMAT is very strict with the use of 'where'.

'Where' MUST always be used to refer to physical places.

Hence, where usage in this sentence is 100% incorrect.

V21 ---> V40!

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 158

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 16:10
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG2017, SC739, P696

The subject is "a thick layer" therefore the verb must be singular- "protects." Why? In order to have consistency we could have

A thick layer of sponge protects
A thicker layer of grass protects
A thicker layer of fences protects

A is fine

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 158

Re: In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2017, 16:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap