It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In testing for food allergies, a false positive result

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Re: In testing for food allergies, a false positive result [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 10:08
I'm not entirely clear why it cannot be A??

gmatter0913 wrote:
In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a person is said to be allergic to a particular food when, in fact, they are not allergic to that food. A false negative result indicates that a person is not allergic to the food when, in fact, they are. To most accurately determine food allergies, a physician should use the test that gives the smallest percentage of false negative results.

Which of the following, if true, most supports the recommendation that is given above?

A. Some food allergies cause reactions severe enough to be life-threatening.
B. None of the tests for food allergies have lasting side effects.
C. In diagnosing food allergies it is important to be as thorough as possible, since most people with one known food allergy have other undiscovered food allergies.
D. The proportion of tests that do not provide a clear result is the same for all tests of food allergies
E. All tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Kevin,

Upon further thinking, I understood the answer is E.

Because as follows..

Options B, C and D are clearly not relevant.

Option A: Small sample can give a life threatning reaction. The study is using False Negative approach that is patients who think they are allergic but in fact are not allergic. The word 'Some' plays a crucial role. This means there are some substance that do not give any life threatening reactions, and perhaps when tested in the False + method, the patient may not show allergic reaction (because the patient is not allergic.)

Option E: Using the False Negative theory: That is patient think he is not allergice but actually is allergic. Hence the physician can accurately test the sample. Purely because the patient is allergic, the patient will develop reaction and hence testing.

Hope this helps.

kelvind13 wrote:
I'm not entirely clear why it cannot be A??

gmatter0913 wrote:
In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a person is said to be allergic to a particular food when, in fact, they are not allergic to that food. A false negative result indicates that a person is not allergic to the food when, in fact, they are. To most accurately determine food allergies, a physician should use the test that gives the smallest percentage of false negative results.

Which of the following, if true, most supports the recommendation that is given above?

A. Some food allergies cause reactions severe enough to be life-threatening.
B. None of the tests for food allergies have lasting side effects.
C. In diagnosing food allergies it is important to be as thorough as possible, since most people with one known food allergy have other undiscovered food allergies.
D. The proportion of tests that do not provide a clear result is the same for all tests of food allergies
E. All tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 40 [1], given: 113

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2040 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In all CR questions like this, which recommend a certain 'policy' or 'approach', you must very clearly identify the goal of that policy or approach. The question says: "To most accurately determine food allergies a physician should use the test that gives the smallest percentage of false negative results." The red bit is all we care about in this question: using the test that is the most accurate. Any answer choice that is not about test accuracy is definitely wrong.

Using the test with the fewest false negatives sounds good if we want an accurate test, but what if that test has a lot of false positives? Then it might not be the most accurate test. But if all tests have the same proportion of false positives, the test with the fewest false negatives is the most accurate, which is why E is the correct answer.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2040 [1], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 14:17
souvik101990 wrote:
In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a person is said to be allergic to a particular food when, in fact, he is not allergic to that food. A false negative result indicates that a person is not allergic to the food when, in fact, he is. To most accurately determine food allergies, a physician should use the test that gives the smallest percentage of false negative results because _________________________

A. some food allergies cause reactions severe enough to be life-threatening
B. none of the tests for food allergies have lasting side effects
C. in diagnosing food allergies it is important to be as thorough as possible, since most people with one known food allergy have other undiscovered food allergies
D. the proportion of tests that do not provide a clear result is the same for all tests of food allergies
E. all tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results

The answer is clearly E. Imagine that a proportion of false positive results is 8 out of 10. Hence out of 10 people 8 are not allergic to food. Hence to maximize total number of people who are not allergic to food we should minimize number of people who are allergic to food. This is what stimulus says. Hope it is clear!

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 349

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Veritas Prep 10 Year Anniversary Promo Question #8 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 09:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 09:53
In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a person is said to be allergic to a particular food when, in fact, he is not allergic to that food. A false negative result indicates that a person is not allergic to the food when, in fact, he is. To most accurately determine food allergies, a physician should use the test that gives the smallest percentage of false negative results because _________________________

A. some food allergies cause reactions severe enough to be life-threatening..............OFS
B. none of the tests for food allergies have lasting side effects...............OFS
C. in diagnosing food allergies it is important to be as thorough as possible, since most people with one known food allergy have other undiscovered food allergies................OFS
D. the proportion of tests that do not provide a clear result is the same for all tests of food allergies............OFS
E. all tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results.............address why don't need to bother about this section of results

I misread the question and landed upon option C at first.
Then I realized that E is the correct answer after re-reading the question.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 11:14
I made a mistake by choosing A. Again I realized what my mistake was. Let us break down the premise and the conclusion
A test can give both false positive and false negative.
Conclusion - Selecting a test based purely on the min false negative will be the most accurate.
Here the argument is not about the impact of not doing so, but the objective is to purely get the most accurate test. The gap in the argument is well what if the most accurate test in terms of false negative scores poorly on false positive. The answer choice E addresses that and therefore is the right answer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 196

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 20:01
souvik101990 wrote:

C. in diagnosing food allergies it is important to be as thorough as possible, since most people with one known food allergy have other undiscovered food allergies
D. the proportion of tests that do not provide a clear result is the same for all tests of food allergies
E. all tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results

oh man...i got some food allergy and it is very frustrating to identify to which product you are actually allergic...
we need an answer choice that would make false negative better than false positive.
A is out right away
B side effects are out of scope
C this one seems to favour false positive - no
D basically says that false negative = false positive so no
E all tests have same proportion of false positive - thus, false positive is not a good option.

E for me.

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 21:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 02:53

Goal is to determine accurately food allergies.
Two types of tests are there :
1> that measure false positive results more than false -ve results
2> that measure false -ve results more than false +ve results

A physician should choose 1st one rather than 2nd to determine accurately food allergies. . Why?
Prethinking

1> Test that measure false positive results more than false -ve results, overall accuracy rate is more than the 2nd one.

A. Some food allergies cause reactions severe enough to be life-threatening. > doesn't answer our dilemma over +ve -Ve
B. None of the tests for food allergies have lasting side effects. same

E. All tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results > if all test have same false positive result, one variable down. only -ve we are left to.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a p [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 05:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 255

Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
Re: In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a p [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 06:02
Why is it E and not A?
Please elaborate

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 255

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a p [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 16:46
Please, specify the source of this question.

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Economics, Statistics
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 13:35
why is the answer not c and a some one can please throw some light on this one.. thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 13

Premium Member
In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a p [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nailin16 wrote:
Why is it E and not A?
Please elaborate

Posted from my mobile device

Between E & A , E is a shell game. It seems to be the right answer , but it is not.

Let me break down the argument.

Tests for allergies have 2 problems (errors)
1. False positive, which means the person is not allergic , but the test shows positive result.
2. False negative, which means the person is allergic , but the test shows negative results .

The conclusion says that, in order to determine food allergy , the doctor must depend on the 2nd point above.

- If some food allergies can become life-threatening, does that help to prove the conclusion . No, because the severity of the food allergy is simply out of scope of this argument.

- If there are two types of error of the test as stated above, and the percentage of errors of type 1 are same across all the test cases, then then type 2 is the determining factor.
Let's say for all the test cases 100 = 78 gives the right results + errors (22)
We know errors are of 2 types. As the percentage of one type of error is always same, the other type (2) becomes the determining factor.

This is quite a detailed analysis , which is not possible during the actual exam. I wrote all these only to make you understand.
Instead I relied more on negating the options out of A & E. Carefully reading the argument shows that A is out of scope.

Never give up !

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 13

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 09:20
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Top Contributor
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 605 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 16:10
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There are some great explanations on here for why E is correct, so kudos to everyone who has posted on that!

And then to fully answer the recurring of question of "why is it E and not A?" let me throw this out:

When you're working with a plan/strategy problem (as opposed to a classic "argument"), the goal/objective plays the role of the conclusion. And as always with Strengthen/Weaken, the specific conclusion is absolutely crucial! The same, then, is true of the objective. Here, look at what the objective is:

"To most accurately determine food allergies."

Choice A doesn't tell you why focusing on false negatives leads to increased accuracy. Choice A is all about safety/severity - it supports a different conclusion/objective, to be as safe as possible. Which...I like telling my classes when we do this one (and at least half of people pick A every time), if you pick A, you're a really good person and will be a really good parent. Of course any good person would want to minimize the number of false negatives, because if someone thinks that they're not allergic but it turns out that they are, then they may very well eat something that could seriously hurt or even kill them. So you should absolutely in your heart and soul want to pick A for humanitarian reasons...but the goal as stated in the argument isn't safety, it's accuracy. And if the tests that reduce false negatives by 1%, in turn, increase false positives by 50%, then you haven't prioritized accuracy.

So that's the problem with A. It:

-Doesn't deal with the specific conclusion/objective, so it's incorrect.

-Is really tempting because the objective it leads to is one that your mind should naturally gravitate toward.

-Teaches a great lesson. The precise language in the conclusion (or objective) is absolutely crucial, so make sure that you read it carefully.

One more note on A - we like to call the device behind A "selling the wrong answer" through "mental inertia." If you have an interest in or some knowledge of a CR topic, it's even more important to be extra careful when reading the prompt/conclusion/objective because on those topics it's easier for the testmaker to satisfy that "ah, I like this answer" reaction with a wrong answer, because what it's satisfying is more related to your opinion or recollection. So if the topic matter speaks to you, remind yourself to slow down just a bit more so that you don't chase an answer that "feels good" but doesn't directly answer the question.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 605 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 179

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Difficult strengthen problem. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 05:46
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

In testing for food allergies, a false positive result occurs when a person is said to be allergic to a particular food when, in fact, he is not allergic to that food. A false negative result indicates that a person is not allergic to the food when, in fact, he is. To most accurately determine food allergies, a physician should use the test that gives the smallest percentage of false negative results because _______________.

(A) some food allergies cause reactions severe enough to be life-threatening
(B) none of the tests for food allergies have lasting side effects
(C) in diagnosing food allergies it is important to be as thorough as possible, since most people with one known food allergy have other undiscovered food allergies
(D) the proportion of tests that do not provide a clear result is the same for all tests of food allergies
(E) all tests for food allergies have the same proportion of false positive results”

Last edited by broall on 07 Aug 2017, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Difficult strengthen problem. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 05:50
What would be the right methodology to untangle a critical reasoning question like this one?

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2040 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 06:41
This question is almost an exact copy of an old OG question:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-tests-for ... 37758.html

The official version would be the more worthwhile one to study, if only because it is better written.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2040 [0], given: 6

Re: In testing for food allergies, a false positive result   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 06:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 61 posts ] 

In testing for food allergies, a false positive result

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap