It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [2], given: 1273

Premium Member
In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:02) correct 54% (00:59) wrong based on 472 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with different personalities, occupations, and temperaments weigh the evidence of a murder case to establish the guilt or innocence of the defendant.

A) personalities, occupations, and temperaments weigh the evidence
B) personalities, occupations, and temperaments weigh the evidential
C) occupations, personalities, and temperaments, weighs evidence
D) personality types and occupations weighs evidently
E) temperaments, personality styles, and occupations weighs the evidence
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Mahmud6 on 29 Aug 2017, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined properly

Kudos [?]: 17 [2], given: 1273

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 10:47
I did not understand what was wrong with ans choice C? Can anybody please explain?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

D

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 115

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 11:12
Priyancee wrote:
Is the answer E ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Yes the Answer is E.

To attempt the question with timer, click on the Play button. after that click on a choice that you think is correct. and then the choice that gets green color is correct.

Every choice gets a percentage depending on the number of takers.

If you want to see an answer choice without attempting on timer or just by stopping the timer then click on [Reveal] to check the correct choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 115

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 11:20
Hi,
Shouldn't the answer have the word different. In Answer E that is missing.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Top Contributor
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2302 [4], given: 501

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Arunavamunshi1988, the main issue with (C) is that there's no need for the comma after "temperaments" -- though I can't think of any GMAT questions that ever really test the comma in that way. So don't worry about it too much.

The missing article in (C) is also a minor problem -- since we're talking about the specific evidence of the murder case, it should probably be "the evidence of a murder case" instead of just "evidence of a murder case." But I'm hard-pressed to think of many real GMAT questions that test that specific issue in that specific way, either.

And "different" shouldn't be underlined, fwiw. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2302 [4], given: 501

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8578 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 00:43
Top Contributor
But what is the need or significance of the changed word order in the list at whim and fancy? Are the word order and the meaning absurd in the original to warrant a change? Any logic?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8578 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 02:08
In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with different personalities, occupations, and temperaments weigh the evidence of a murder case to establish the guilt or innocence of the defendant.

jury..weighs.

CORRECT.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 35

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 03:33
Top Contributor

While jury is collective subject and needs a singular verb weighs.
adjectives like evidential, adverbs like evidently change the intended meaning of the sentence as is in case of options B and D.
comma remains the sole spoilsport in option C..........changing the structure.
redundant phrase personality styles surprisingly standsout as the correct answer choice.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 03:54
Can anyone explain how E is the OA? Shouldn't the main point be that the jury is composed of different kinds of American men? That is missing in E, isn't it?
Moreover, can't the subject be American men and not the jury. That would imply that the original sentence is correct?
Kindly help in understanding this.

Hit +1 Kudos If you like my post! :)

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 03:55
I feel "different" should not be part of the underlined section. I feel its a typo since option A does not contain "different".

Without different, we will read the portion as --> a jury made up of American men with temperaments, personality styles, and occupations.

The essence is jury is made up of people with different characteristics.

Jury is singular and hence we need singular verb. Options A and B are out.

Comma issue in option C.

In option D, it should be evidence and not evidently.

Option E seems to be the best choice

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 140

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2302 [0], given: 501

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 14:05
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
From Daagh:

Quote:
But what is the need or significance of the changed word order in the list at whim and fancy? Are the word order and the meaning absurd in the original to warrant a change? Any logic?

Nope, I don't see any real logic to the the changed word order of the list. Looks like a random thing that the question-writers did to distract us, but just rearranging the list doesn't do anything to the meaning of the sentence. And I can't think of any official GMAT questions that do the same sort of thing. Seems really, really arbitrary to me.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |

Kudos [?]: 2302 [0], given: 501

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 03:54

D) personality types and occupations weighs evidently missing temperaments and evidently is wrong
E) temperaments, personality styles, and occupations weighs the evidence correct

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 05:37
Hi guys,

Can someone clarify why it's weighs vs. weigh? I studied the MGMAT sentence correction book, and it says when we have 'a group of workers' this is plural. But, if we have 'the group of workers', this is singular. Given 'a jury', why is jury singular?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Twelve Angry Men is a great movie, one which I highly recommend (Family Guy did a parity of it as well).

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2302 [1], given: 501

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nightblade354 wrote:
Hi guys,

Can someone clarify why it's weighs vs. weigh? I studied the MGMAT sentence correction book, and it says when we have 'a group of workers' this is plural. But, if we have 'the group of workers', this is singular. Given 'a jury', why is jury singular?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Twelve Angry Men is a great movie, one which I highly recommend (Family Guy did a parity of it as well).

Collective nouns -- such as "jury" or "army" or "band" -- are generally singular, even though we know that they might represent multiple people. So all of these are correct:

• A band of Mongolian guitarists IS playing at Red Rocks Amphitheater tonight.
  • An army of ants IS attacking my picnic right now.
  • A jury of 12 citizens IS listening to the defense attorney's closing arguments.

"Group" is a funny case, though -- it can be either singular or plural, depending on the situation, and grammar experts don't always agree on the nuances of how to use it. The short version is that "group" is generally singular if its members are acting in tandem ("the group of test-takers IS planning an assault on GMAC headquarters"), but plural if the individuality of the members is emphasized ("the group of grammar experts ARE arguing about collective nouns right now"). This gets messy.

But don't lose sleep over those messy cases! The GMAT generally stays far away from anything that is even vaguely controversial among grammar and style experts. Sure, you'll see a few collective nouns on the GMAT, but they'll generally be very clearly singular. I can't think of any official questions that require you to strain any brain cells worrying about whether "group" or "jury" might somehow be plural. So don't worry about this too much -- and in this particular question, "jury" is unambiguously singular.

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Kudos [?]: 2302 [1], given: 501

Manager
Manager
G

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 06:16
GMATNinja wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your help!

Collective nouns -- such as "jury" or "army" or "band" -- are generally singular, even though we know that they might represent multiple people. So all of these are correct:

• A band of Mongolian guitarists IS playing at Red Rocks Amphitheater tonight.
  • An army of ants IS attacking my picnic right now.
  • A jury of 12 citizens IS listening to the defense attorney's closing arguments.

"Group" is a funny case, though -- it can be either singular or plural, depending on the situation, and grammar experts don't always agree on the nuances of how to use it. The short version is that "group" is generally singular if its members are acting in tandem ("the group of test-takers IS planning an assault on GMAC headquarters"), but plural if the individuality of the members is emphasized ("the group of grammar experts ARE arguing about collective nouns right now"). This gets messy.

But don't lose sleep over those messy cases! The GMAT generally stays far away from anything that is even vaguely controversial among grammar and style experts. Sure, you'll see a few collective nouns on the GMAT, but they'll generally be very clearly singular. I can't think of any official questions that require you to strain any brain cells worrying about whether "group" or "jury" might somehow be plural. So don't worry about this too much -- and in this particular question, "jury" is unambiguously singular.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, GMATNinja! This makes perfect sense, and I see where I went wrong. I guess I over thought the example in MGMAT.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Re: In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2017, 06:16

In the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, a jury made up of American men with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap