It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1795 [0], given: 289

In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 11:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:02) correct 21% (00:54) wrong based on 70 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied the direction of gas flow associated with stars, they were astonished to find much of the gas moving outward from the star, when it was expected for most of it to move inward toward the star.

it was expected for most of it to move inward toward the star
it was expected that most of it should move inward toward the star
most of it was expected to move inward toward the star
most of its inward flow toward the star was expected
there was an expectation most of it would move in an inward pattern toward the star

OE
[Reveal] Spoiler:
This sentence uses the passive voice, which we usually want to eliminate on Sentence Correction questions. A quick scan reveals that choices (A), (B), (C) and (D) all use passive voice. Even though (E) does not, it uses an awkward "there was" construction and is wordy, so we eliminate (E), We now need to choose the best answer from those remaining. While this sentence could clearly be constructed more effectively using the active voice, that will not help you if it is not one of the answer choices given. Remember that on Sentence Correction questions you must choose the best answer that is given; do not waste time thinking of ways to improve upon the answer choices you're given.
Idiomatically, "X was/is expected to Y" is correct. (C) is the only choice that respects this idiomatic construction.
(A) and (B) use the incorrect "it was expected for X to Y" and "it was expected that X should Y" respectively, so we eliminate them. That leaves (C) and (D).
(D) distorts the meaning and function of the word "most". In the original sentence, "most" refers to the gas. In (D), "most" seems to refer to the flow of the gas. That is a distortion. (C) keeps the proper meaning of "most" and uses the proper construction and is therefore correct.

Hi, I want to know what makes wrong choices wrong, please. I also feel right answer choice is awkward, especially the way it says "most of it".
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1795 [0], given: 289

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 35

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Research (Telecommunications)
Re: In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
goodyear2013 wrote:
In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied the direction of gas flow associated with stars, they were astonished to find much of the gas moving outward from the star, when it was expected for most of it to move inward toward the star.

it was expected for most of it to move inward toward the star
it was expected that most of it should move inward toward the star
most of it was expected to move inward toward the star
most of its inward flow toward the star was expected
there was an expectation most of it would move in an inward pattern toward the star

Hi,

a. "It" is ambiguous
b. same as a.
c. correct
d. "most of its inward flow" , awkward. One way of looking at it is , if the inward flow is already known, then what is most signifying?
e. "expectation that" is the correct idiom.

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 35

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 04:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Re: In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2017, 04:48

In the 1970's, when astronomers first empirically studied

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap