Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [11]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the 1980s computer books’ sales accounted for approximately 4% of [#permalink]
IMO E.

which- modifying profit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: In the 1980s computer books’ sales accounted for approximately 4% of [#permalink]
My answer would be A.

A) publishing company; in the 2000s this proportion increased to 40%. - Correct Choice.
B) publishing company; in the 2000s they increased by 40%. - Changes the meaning
C) publishing company, in the 2000s they increased to 40%. - Pronoun Error
D) publishing company; increasing to 40% in the 2000s. - use of ; requires an independent clause - the clause here does not have a subject
E) publishing company, which increased to 40% in the 2000s. - Which incorrectly modifies the publishing company
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vercules wrote:
In the 1980s computer books’ sales accounted for approximately 4% of operating profits of a typical publishing company; in the 2000s this proportion increased to 40%.

A) publishing company; in the 2000s this proportion increased to 40%.

Correct. The use of semicolon the first sentence is correct as it connects two closely related clauses. The comparison made is also contextually and grammatically correct. “In the 1980s” is correctly compared with “in the 2000s” and both are grammatically parallel. The use of “this proportion” unambiguously refers to the proportion of “computer books sales” in the first part of the sentence.

B) publishing company; in the 2000s they increased by 40%.

This answer choice contains two errors. First, the phrase “increased by 40%” incorrectly changes the meaning of the original sentence, implying that “40%” indicates the relative magnitude of the increase rather than the new proportion of “advertising revenues” in the structure of “operating profits.” Second, the pronoun “they” is ambiguous and does not have a clear antecedent and could refer to either “operating profits” or “computer books’ sales.”

C) publishing company, in the 2000s they increased to 40%.

The comma is incorrectly used to join two independent clauses, thus making the sentence run-on. rather than with a semicolon or with a connecting conjunction. Further, the pronoun “they” lacks a clear antecedent and could be interpreted to refer either “operating profits” or “computer books’ sales.”

D) publishing company; increasing to 40% in the 2000s.

This answer choice incorrectly uses a semicolon to connect two clauses, only one of which can stand alone. The phrase “increasing to 40% in the 1980s” is not an independent clause and cannot follow the semicolon. Furthermore, by moving the time reference “in the 2000s” from the beginning of the second clause to the end, this answer choice violates parallelism with the non-underlined portion of the sentence that begins with another time reference “In the 1980s.”

E) publishing company, which increased to 40% in the 2000s

“Which” is used incorrectly; clauses introduced by the relative pronoun “which” can refer only to the immediately preceding noun. In this case, the relative pronoun “which” refers to “a typical book publishing company,” thus illogically suggesting that “a typical book publishing company” was the subject of the increase. Finally, by moving the time reference “in the 2000s” from the beginning of the second clause to the end, this answer choice does not maintain parallel structure with the non-underlined portion of the sentence that begins with the time reference “In the 1980s.”

Vercules
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
I somewhere read in this forum that prepositional phrases can exist between a noun and a noun modifier such as "which". In this context i would like to know why is answer "E" wrong. Since,which is preceded by a prepositional phrase.

Here is the question:
In the 1980s computer books’ sales accounted for approximately 4% of operating profits of a typical publishing company; in the 2000s this proportion increased to 40%.
A.publishing company; in the 2000s this proportion increased to 40%.
B.publishing company; in the 2000s they increased by 40%.
C.publishing company, in the 2000s they increased to 40%.
D.publishing company; increasing to 40% in the 2000s.
E.publishing company, which increased to 40% in the 2000s.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
mshrek wrote:
I somewhere read in this forum that prepositional phrases can exist between a noun and a noun modifier such as "which". In this context i would like to know why is answer "E" wrong. Since,which is preceded by a prepositional phrase.

Here is the question:

Hi,
"which" in option E is modifying "company" not "proportion". Noun modifiers modify the closest noun.
So, the correct option is A.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
aniteshgmat1101 wrote:
mshrek wrote:

Here is the question:

Hi,
"which" in option E is modifying "company" not "proportion". Noun modifiers modify the closest noun.
So, the correct option is A.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.

Hi ,
Here is the link i was referring to : our-understanding-was-that-she-would-continue-to-cover-the-104891.html
Can you please have a look at it and still say that "E" is incorrect only for the reason mentioned by you.
I had the same thought process as you are having untill i came across that link :shock: :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanx for providing the link.
The question mentioned in the link:
"Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family."

In this sentence "which" is modifying a group of costs, which it follows. So, the use of which is correct here since Noun is the all of the costs. Confusion could have happened if any of the options had "all of which".
Hence here also "which" is referring to the closest set of noun. You can evaluate both the questions and see the difference in use of "which" and the meaning change.

Hope this helped.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
mshrek wrote:

Here is the question:

Merging Similar topics, Please read the detailed explanation given above.

Also please read the forum rules before posting any questions. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
shouldn't we use plural i.e "they" to refer to sales.
the use of singular "this", is doubtful as even if it is referring to sales or operating profits, it should be plural in both cases.
So, how is A correct as this should refer to something singular and we dont have any singular antecedent in the sentence.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the 1980s computer books sales accounted for approximately 4% of [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the 1980s computer books sales accounted for approximately 4% of [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts