It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 203

Kudos [?]: 436 [9], given: 46

Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2013, 10:12
9
This post received
KUDOS
15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:22) correct 41% (01:23) wrong based on 1161 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A) Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.

(B) The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.

(C) The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.

(D) District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.

(E) School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 23 Sep 2017, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 436 [9], given: 46

10 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3355

Kudos [?]: 9075 [10], given: 1154

Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2013, 13:22
10
This post received
KUDOS
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition.

Ok a fact

Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award.

Another fact

Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted.

the rate is stable over the years

It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Conclusion

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.

free time. I diidn't see anything about free time in the stimulus

(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.

Population is larger in one district rather in another. is not the point

(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.

More students is not the point

(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.

This is the assumption. It explains why the rate is constant over the year and why in one district is always higher. Thanks to the female population in high school


(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.

Ecouragement in pursuing science is not the point

D is the assumption unstated in the stimulus
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9075 [10], given: 1154

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 8

Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 10:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
the assumpiton when there is a comarision of numbers/%age should be that of the overall counts to be equal , so that the comparision is justifyable. In option D it sats tat D1 does not have fewer all- male schools than D2 , which means that there is a possibility that there are more boy schools than girls which inturn means that there are fewer girls to be considered in D1 and that makes comparisions by percentage onconclusive , since fewer the number more vavriant the changes in the pecentage values.

Please explain the answer in more detail

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 8

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1077

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 70

Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 12:38
carcass wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition.

Ok a fact

Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award.

Another fact

Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted.

the rate is stable over the years

It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Conclusion

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.

free time. I diidn't see anything about free time in the stimulus

(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.

Population is larger in one district rather in another. is not the point

(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.

More students is not the point

(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.

This is the assumption. It explains why the rate is constant over the year and why in one district is always higher. Thanks to the female population in high school


(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.

Ecouragement in pursuing science is not the point

D is the assumption unstated in the stimulus


I do not think that your point of elimination of fr E is correct. Infact its clearly stated in the conclusion that schools in district 1 do a better job at encouraging.......So how can we infer that encouragement of girls is not the point. i think you should have touched the point of a vague term ie...School...the discussion is about "High School"...and E suggests "Schools"......So that must be point of elimination.

Consider kudos If my post helps!!

Archit

Last edited by Archit143 on 23 May 2013, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 70

8 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1127

Kudos [?]: 3480 [8], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 15:05
8
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mun23 wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.

Need detail explanation................


Frankly, all explanations above are really good. This question is NOT EASY at all. If you don't read it carefully, you may pick right answer by using POE, but I bet you did not understand deeply the idea that the GMAT makers want to convey in the question.

First of all, this is assumption question regarding percentage, specifically, defender assumption (if you're interested, read Power Score CR Bible).
The most important thing here is that you must show absolute value is different from percentage value. That's the KEY.

Let examine the question:

Premise: D1 has 80% high schools earned award
Premise: D2 has 63% high schools earned award.
Conclusion: D does better than does D2 of encouraging girls to pursue science.

We have two different cases here:

(1) DIFFERENT ABSOLUTE VALUES: D1 & D2 have different the number of schools.
(2) SAME ABSOLUTE VALUES: D1 & D2 have the same number of high school; This is the case in the question.


For case (1): the number of schools in D1 & that of D2 are different.

The conclusion above is correct only if The number of high schools in D1 is not fewer than that of D2. If No, the conclusion is broken.
For instance, if D1 has 100 high schools, 80% = 80 schools had award. But D2 has more, 200 high schools for example, 63% = 126 schools had award. Yeah, we cannot say D1 did better job than did D2. So the conclusion is not hold.
But this case is TOO OBVIOUS and normally not considered in hard GMAT question.


For case (2): the number of schools in D1 & that of D2 are the same.

Let assume: The number of high schools = the number of NON-GIRL schools (all-male) + the number of GIRL INCLUDED schools.
So, we only can conclude D1 did better job if its number of Girl included schools is EQUAL or SMALLER than that of D2. If NO, review the example in case 1 above.
It also mean THE NUMBER OF NON-Girl SCHOOLS (all-male) OF D1 IS NOT FEWER THAN THAT OF D2.

That's exactly what answer D says.

Hope it's clear.

Regards.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3480 [8], given: 123

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1436

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 04:07
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
Free time is no where linked to the science exposition
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
Overal population does not guarantee a higher female ration in District 1
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
Total studends do not guarantee a higher female ration in District 1
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
Correct. This is directly related to the number of female students, stating that the number of girls students are same in both districts
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.
Not related
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 330

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 291

Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 05:33
The second one is a trap. The one thing I have learned about cracking GMAT questions is that one really needs to have an eagle's eye view on things. U miss a word and that is all that is required to miss an answer. :). It might sound silly but training your mind to focus really sharp is equally important.

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 291

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Posts: 143

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2014, 18:55
pqhai wrote:
mun23 wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.

Need detail explanation................


Frankly, all explanations above are really good. This question is NOT EASY at all. If you don't read it carefully, you may pick right answer by using POE, but I bet you did not understand deeply the idea that the GMAT makers want to convey in the question.

First of all, this is assumption question regarding percentage, specifically, defender assumption (if you're interested, read Power Score CR Bible).
The most important thing here is that you must show absolute value is different from percentage value. That's the KEY.

Let examine the question:

Premise: D1 has 80% high schools earned award
Premise: D2 has 63% high schools earned award.
Conclusion: D does better than does D2 of encouraging girls to pursue science.

We have two different cases here:

(1) DIFFERENT ABSOLUTE VALUES: D1 & D2 have different the number of schools.
(2) SAME ABSOLUTE VALUES: D1 & D2 have the same number of high school; This is the case in the question.


For case (1): the number of schools in D1 & that of D2 are different.

The conclusion above is correct only if The number of high schools in D1 is not fewer than that of D2. If No, the conclusion is broken.
For instance, if D1 has 100 high schools, 80% = 80 schools had award. But D2 has more, 200 high schools for example, 63% = 126 schools had award. Yeah, we cannot say D1 did better job than did D2. So the conclusion is not hold.
But this case is TOO OBVIOUS and normally not considered in hard GMAT question.


For case (2): the number of schools in D1 & that of D2 are the same.

Let assume: The number of high schools = the number of NON-GIRL schools (all-male) + the number of GIRL INCLUDED schools.
So, we only can conclude D1 did better job if its number of Girl included schools is EQUAL or SMALLER than that of D2. If NO, review the example in case 1 above.
It also mean THE NUMBER OF NON-Girl SCHOOLS (all-male) OF D1 IS NOT FEWER THAN THAT OF D2.

That's exactly what answer D says.

Hope it's clear.

Regards.


Hi,
I have absolutely understood ur explanation but have a doubt regarding the model of assumption. In Powerscore CR, it is mentioned that whenever we see a new piece of information in the conclusion for assumption questions, they are generally supporter assumption models. In this question "encouraging girls" sounded like a new info based on which I chose D as it fills the gap in between.
Please help!

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Posts: 143

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2014, 20:05
pqhai wrote:
mun23 wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.

Need detail explanation................


Frankly, all explanations above are really good. This question is NOT EASY at all. If you don't read it carefully, you may pick right answer by using POE, but I bet you did not understand deeply the idea that the GMAT makers want to convey in the question.

First of all, this is assumption question regarding percentage, specifically, defender assumption (if you're interested, read Power Score CR Bible).
The most important thing here is that you must show absolute value is different from percentage value. That's the KEY.

Let examine the question:

Premise: D1 has 80% high schools earned award
Premise: D2 has 63% high schools earned award.
Conclusion: D does better than does D2 of encouraging girls to pursue science.

We have two different cases here:

(1) DIFFERENT ABSOLUTE VALUES: D1 & D2 have different the number of schools.
(2) SAME ABSOLUTE VALUES: D1 & D2 have the same number of high school; This is the case in the question.


For case (1): the number of schools in D1 & that of D2 are different.

The conclusion above is correct only if The number of high schools in D1 is not fewer than that of D2. If No, the conclusion is broken.
For instance, if D1 has 100 high schools, 80% = 80 schools had award. But D2 has more, 200 high schools for example, 63% = 126 schools had award. Yeah, we cannot say D1 did better job than did D2. So the conclusion is not hold.
But this case is TOO OBVIOUS and normally not considered in hard GMAT question.


For case (2): the number of schools in D1 & that of D2 are the same.

Let assume: The number of high schools = the number of NON-GIRL schools (all-male) + the number of GIRL INCLUDED schools.
So, we only can conclude D1 did better job if its number of Girl included schools is EQUAL or SMALLER than that of D2. If NO, review the example in case 1 above.
It also mean THE NUMBER OF NON-Girl SCHOOLS (all-male) OF D1 IS NOT FEWER THAN THAT OF D2.

That's exactly what answer D says.

Hope it's clear.

Regards.


Hi,
I have absolutely understood ur explanation but have a doubt regarding the model of assumption. In Powerscore CR, it is mentioned that whenever we see a new piece of information in the conclusion for assumption questions, they are generally supporter assumption models. In this question "encouraging girls" sounded like a new info based on which I chose D as it fills the gap in between.
Please help!

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Queens MBA Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 194

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2015, 07:09
mun23 wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.


Argument analysis :
P : Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted

Conclusion : that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2

Pre-thinking :
when you give the verdict based on percentage analysis. basically we assumed that Numbers are comparable. Say X attendance is 80% and Y attendance is 50 % we cannot say, if X attended for more days as compared to Y because X's 80% might be calculated against 10 - which mean 8 days and Y's against 100 which mean 50 days. or vice versa.

Keeping above line of though in view. We can say
Author must have assumed that school going girl population is comparable in both the districts D1 and D2

POE
(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
Out of scope (OFS) - Incorrect

(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
Incorrect - Misleading, In exam we may fall for this. But overall population is not discussed in argument.

(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
Incorrect - Average High school population is not considered in argument. Argument is based on girls population

(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
Correct : Matches pre thinking. talks about girls population

(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.
Incorrect : nice fact to know but does not relate with argument.

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 238

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 23:28
carcass wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition.

Ok a fact

Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award.

Another fact

Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted.

the rate is stable over the years

It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Conclusion

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.

free time. I diidn't see anything about free time in the stimulus

(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.

Population is larger in one district rather in another. is not the point

(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.

More students is not the point

(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.

This is the assumption. It explains why the rate is constant over the year and why in one district is always higher. Thanks to the female population in high school


(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.

Ecouragement in pursuing science is not the point

D is the assumption unstated in the stimulus


Hi,

I have query regarding option E

as argument is saying d1 school is doing better job then D2.

so cant we say there is no other source that is working for D1 school kids.

E is saying that there is no other source i.e. schools are only responsible for this.

Please clarify this.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 74

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 96

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 08:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
The assumption should be about the number of female high school students in both district. Only option D that talks about gender.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 96

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 48

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 309

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 01:52
mun23 wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.


A - free time is irrelevant
B - Since the conclusion compares percentages, the actual population does not matter.
C - The average no of students in the class does not matter, as long as 10 girls are sent from the classes being compared.
D - This is correct, the demographic of District 1 and District 2 with respect to all boys school are different, this should be a reason other than "better job by school" to either support or refute the conclusion. Try negation test and the argument falls apart.
E - Even if the school is a secondary source of encouragement, then also the argument stands.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 309

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2015
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Location: Singapore
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 04:02
mun23 wrote:
In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Science” award for a given year if at least ten of its female students participate in that year's state science exposition. Last year, 80 percent of all high schools in Cantville's District 1 earned this award, while only 63 percent of all high schools in the city's District 2 earned the same award. Furthermore, these percentages have remained at or near those respective levels throughout the entire twelve years since the award was instituted. It is clear, then, that the high schools in District 1 do a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2.

Which of the following is assumed in the argument above?

(A)Students in District 1 have more free time to pursue science projects than do students in District 2.
(B)The overall population of District 1 is not substantially larger than that of District 2.
(C)The average high school in in District 2 does not have more students than does the average high school in District 1.
(D)District 1 does not have significantly fewer all-male high schools than does District 2.
(E)School is the primary source of encouragement for students' pursuit of science.


1. This is a PoS question. And exemplifies why the GMAT is in so many ways a flawed test.

2. The argument is that "District 1 [does] a better job of encouraging girls to pursue science than do the high schools in District 2".

3. Much of the rationale used to dismiss A-C can actually be used to dismiss D as well. Talking about all-male schools is bringing in an entirely new piece of information and an entirely new dimension to the question not at all discussed in the prompt.
3.a. GMAT is an American test. In the US, single gender schools are EXTRAORDINARILY rare. I can't state that enough. They are even rarer among public schools - ones that would organized into districts. In fact, I can not think of a single public district in the entire US that even has a single gender schools.
On the basis of these two facts, I would regard say D is incorrect.

4. The correct answer in CR Argument usually talks directly about what the argument is concerned with. Given that the argument is about "encouraging girls to pursuee science", and that E is the only answer choice discussing encouragement and pursuit of science, makes it a very a strong candidate to be the right answer. Afterall, every Asian who great attending US high schools knows that the encouragement to pursue science does NOT come from school. It comes from parents. E speaks directly to the fact that encouragement to pursue science might come from outside school.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie   [#permalink] 22 May 2017, 04:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the city of Cantville, a high school earns the “Young Women in Scie

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.