GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the hea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the hea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 11:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:29) correct 48% (01:36) wrong based on 427 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the headstrong defendant maintained that he was innocent and that he had never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim.

A. was innocent and that he had never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim

B. was innocent and that he has never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim

C. was innocent and has had no connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim

D. was innocent and that he had had no connection with the victim, personal or otherwise, never

E. had never had any connection with the victim, personal or otherwise, and that he is innocent

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the hea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 04:32
This passage, which entirely relates to past events, has no place for a present tense or a present perfect. A is correct

A. was innocent and that he had never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim --- The connection part relates to the period earlier than the trial and hence past perfect is correct. The best.

B. was innocent and that he has never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim – present perfect is shift of tense

C. was innocent and has had no connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim – present perfect problem

D. was innocent and that he had had no connection with the victim, personal or otherwise, never --- ‘never’ is an unnecessary intrusion; it is not clear what role it plays in an already completed clause.

E. had never had any connection with the victim, personal or otherwise, and that he is innocent – present tense is wrong

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re: In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the hea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 09:54
In Reported Speech, when the reporting verb is in the Past tense (maintained), all the following conjugated verbs should also be in the Past. So, A is the only correct answer choice.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 17:46
The correct anwer choice has the word "had" occuring twice one preceding never and one suceeding never. Please clarify whether such a usage is correct and can such a usage correct in say in analytical writing assessment?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:06
ashusona123, you're never going to find a simple rule that restricts how often you can use a word such as "had." There are plenty of cases in which it's appropriate to say "had had," or one of its negations: "had not had," "hadn't had," or (in this case) "had never had."

So what does "had had" mean? The first "had" is used to indicate past perfect as in "I had studied French for two years before I visited Senegal." The second had is simply the past tense of "have." The two words aren't really doing the same thing at all.

If we can say these things . . .

I had lived in the house . . .
I had eaten donuts . . .
I had been sick . . .

then I can say these:

I had had a hard time . . .
I had never had a good time at a horror movie . . .
etc.

(I'm using ". . ." because to use past perfect, we always need another past event that the past perfect event precedes. So these will only work if such an event is included in the sentence. Of course, this doesn't have to be true in real English writing, in which we typically produce more than one sentence at a time. :) )

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 02:43
reto wrote:
In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the headstrong defendant maintained that he was innocent and that he had never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim.

A. was innocent and that he had never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim

B. was innocent and that he has never had any connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim

C. was innocent and has had no connection, personal or otherwise, with the victim

D. was innocent and that he had had no connection with the victim, personal or otherwise, never

E. had never had any connection with the victim, personal or otherwise, and that he is innocent

if the main clause is in the past tense, the dependent clause normally is in the past tense unless you have a clear reason for using another tense in dependent clause.
maintained is in the past, so, was innocent and had had should be in the past. we have no reason for using "has" and "is" here. when dependent clause say about meaning which require different tense,normally present tense, we can use those tenses. use meaning/logic to decide wheather the different tenses are needed.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the hea &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 02:43

In the closing trial of a dramatic and shocking criminal saga, the hea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap