GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 01:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:31) correct 65% (01:19) wrong based on 287 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is, and this concept is being taught by design schools throughout the world.

A. as originality is, and this concept is being taught by design schools throughout the world

B. as originality is, and throughout the world, this concept is being taught by design schools

C. as originality, and design schools teach this concept throughout the world

D. as originality is, and throughout the world design schools teach this concept

E. than originality is, and throughout the world design schools teach this concept

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168
Re: In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 02:28
This is a tough one. I chose (A) only because I find that "this concept" connects well with the previous clause, and the use of continuous tense portrays vivid image and emphasizes the importance of "this concept". That said, I want to find fault with other options.

(B) Maybe there should be a comma before "throughout"?
(C) I like continuous tense better. I think both "originality" and "originality is" are okay.
(D) Commas again?
(E) This is definitely wrong. "More ... than" but "as ... as".
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 04:20
Top Contributor
Bunuel
Could you kindly edit the underlining? " As important" shouldn't be underlined I suppose.
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 04:22
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 04:53
Top Contributor
Quote:
In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is, and this concept is being taught by design schools throughout the world.

A. as originality is, and this concept is being taught by design schools throughout the world

B. as originality is, and throughout the world, this concept is being taught by design schools

D. as originality is, and throughout the world design schools teach this concept

E. than originality is, and throughout the world design schools teach this concept

WE can drop A and B for their passiveness and E for the ungrammatical ‘as important than”.

Between C and D:

C---The verb ‘is’ follows originality. Is that required? The comparison here is between two nouns such as functionality and originality and it is not a comparison between what functionality is and what originality is. IMO, the first ‘is’ adequately functions as a linking verb between functionality and originality; the second ‘is’ redundant and unnecessary. On the score, C is adequate and C should not be eliminated for missing the second verb.
Example: I am as tall as my brother ( not as my brother is)

However, C faulters on logical word order. The phrase ‘though the world” should modify the noun ‘design schools’ and not ‘this concept’ as in C; this is a phenomenal error.

However, in the case of D, the wrong word order has been rectified. WE can ignore the use of the second verb ‘is’ as passable as it does not interfere with the overall meaning.

D is the answer
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 08:31
E is out.
correct comparison form is as ... as
A and B used wrong tense. we use present simple tense to express regular pattern. using continuous tense here is wrong.
In C, usage of modifier is vague. throughout the world modifies preceding noun.
Answer choice D removes misplaced modifier miss that made in C. D is right answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 09:07
Bunuel wrote:

E is out as we need "as" for parallel comparison.

In B and C, "is being taught" a present continuous is not warranted. a verb "teach" in simple present tense suffices as this presents a fact.

In D, throughout the world design schools does not seem to have a good structure as we don't understand the exact subject of the verb "teach". It would have been better if there were a comma before design schools.

I would go with C as I feel throughout the world is acting as an adverb and is conveying that design schools teach the concept throughout the world (in many places) and the sentence is much more concise than others.

Answer - C
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 01:49

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This answer choice is stylistically flawed. Using the passive form (is being taught) creates redundancy. Since there is another grammatically correct answer choice that does not use the passive form, it is preferable to this one.

This answer choice repeats the original Stylistic flaw. Using the passive form (is being taught) creates redundancy. Since there is another grammatically correct answer choice that does not use the passive form, it is preferable to this one.

Although this answer choice eliminates the original Stylistic error by changing the sentence from passive to active, it is stylistically flawed as it omits the verb is from the second half of the Comparative structure.

Since there's another answer choice that corrects the original mistake but preserves the verb is, it is preferable to this one. Look for it!

This answer choice eliminates the original Stylistic error by changing the sentence from passive to active. It also includes a verb in the second half of the Comparative structure.

Although this answer choice eliminates the original Stylistic error by changing the sentence from passive to active, it is illogical and grammatically incorrect. As cannot be complemented by than because as indicates a similarity or equality between the two things compared whereas than indicates a difference between them.

What helps us identify this question as a Comparative question as well as identify the mistake is the following Stop Sign: Like, unlike, than, as

P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 07:22
I disagree that (C) is incorrect because "throughout the world" is placed badly. One can replace "throughout the world" with a simpler construction "across the World" or "everywhere" and the sentence is just fine. Options (C) and (D) are equally fine. In fact, "is" in (D) is clearly redundant.

In my opinion, this is a poorly built 3rd party question.

IanStewart generis thoughts?
GMAT Tutor
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 10:01
mykrasovski wrote:
In my opinion, this is a poorly built 3rd party question.

IanStewart generis thoughts?

Yes, I agree. There's no issue with modifier placement - "throughout the world" describes where "design schools teach this concept", and can go before or after that phrase and modify it correctly. It's an 'adverbial phrase' - it describes where the teaching happens. It doesn't modify "design school" or "concept" depending on its placement, as one reply above claims. So modifier placement is not a criterion you can use to choose between C and D.

The 'Official Explanation' claims a second "is" is required in the comparison in the first half of the sentence, and that's just not true. In well-written English that second "is" would almost always be omitted. So that's no reason to prefer D either.

You can also justify using a passive construction in this sentence, since the focus of the sentence is on the "concept" itself, and that it is taught everywhere. The focus is not really on who teaches the concept. It's a (rare) circumstance where a passive construction can be preferable to an active one. It's perfectly correct to say "Legislation was passed last year that bans smoking in restaurants" when you're trying to highlight what the legislation itself accomplished. You could instead say "Legislators passed a law last year that bans smoking in restaurants". Now the sentence is active, but the emphasis has shifted from the "legislation" itself to the "legislators" who enacted it. If you don't care who actually passed the law, and thus have no reason to mention "legislators" at all, the passive version of this sentence is preferable to the active one. If instead you are trying to highlight the accomplishments of legislators, the active version is better than the passive one. They have different shades of meaning. In the sentence in this question, where the emphasis is on the "concept" and not on "design schools", it seems to me the passive constructions of answers A and B might better convey (what I see as) the intended meaning than the active constructions in C and D. A and B are not decisively worse at any rate.

I should add, though, that passive writing is very bad writing most of the time. "The philosophy class was taught by me" is a convoluted and unclear way of saying "I taught the philosophy class". In real life and in GMAT SC, in most cases you should prefer active writing. The exception I'm discussing in the paragraph above isn't relevant very often, either in real life writing or on the GMAT.

Anyway, I think you can easily justify several answer choices here, and there is no answer that is clearly correct. But no matter what criteria you use, I don't see how the "OA" could possibly be the best answer choice, so I don't think it's a good question at all.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 08:40
Took me 1:56 to get the right answer. This is indeed a tough one.

Let's go over the answer choices.

There are numerous posts and article as to the problem with the use of the word being in SC. I tend to look at it now in terms of redundancy. Could the SC work without it? Yes, it could. So it's out. I think the first part as originality is, though technically parallel could also easily be made more concise dropping the is

Similar in many ways to A and therefore wrong. The is and the being are just red flags to take on board. I don't think this works either ,this. Three red flags.

This was my second best choice, I think. If you read this closely, though, you get to understand the subtle change in meaning. Is the concept taught globally or are design schools teaching the concept globally? Is the concept taught by numerous schools all over the world or are a few design schools going across the world teaching it?

The is is still an eye-sore; but the rest of the sentence makes more sense. It just makes more logical sense with what the overall meaning of the sentence is trying to convey: that all over the world a certain concept is being taught by design schools.

The only clear freebie elimination. The idiom we are looking for is as important as. This one's out before it started.
Re: In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2020, 08:40

In the design process, functionality is as important as originality is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics