Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Geometryx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [7]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [4]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = [#permalink]
Something it's not quite right here.

I'm also stuck with the last calculation.

STEP 1
180-2x + y = 180
2x = y OK I KNOW HOW TO FIND THIS

STEP 2
Then I convert Y to become 2X
<AOB = x
<ABO = 2x
<BAO = x + (180-4x)-----Why I add x to 180-4x because that's how I think we get a straight line of 180 degree

therefore:
x + 2x + x + (180-4x) = 180
then I get 180 = 180

PLEASE HELP ME. TOTALLY STUCK
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
blendercroix wrote:
Something it's not quite right here.

I'm also stuck with the last calculation.

STEP 1
180-2x + y = 180
2x = y OK I KNOW HOW TO FIND THIS

STEP 2
Then I convert Y to become 2X
<AOB = x
<ABO = 2x
<BAO = x + (180-4x)-----Why I add x to 180-4x because that's how I think we get a straight line of 180 degree

therefore:
x + 2x + x + (180-4x) = 180
then I get 180 = 180

PLEASE HELP ME. TOTALLY STUCK

After step 2,
<BAO = <ABO
x + 180 - 4x = 2x
x = 36

The reason your third step doesn't work is because you used the property of total sum of triangle = 180 to get the relations. Now you are putting the relations back in sum of triangles is 180. You cannot get a value for x in this case. You need to put the relations in another property to arrive at a new conclusion (value of x).
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [2]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Attached is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 7.34.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 7.34.09 PM.png [ 241.73 KiB | Viewed 29021 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
In the figure attached, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = AB. What is the value of x (in degrees)?

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

In the figure, you see (180 - 2x) + y = 180 (straight angle) so 2x = y

Also, the moment you see the circle and its two radii, mark them equal and the corresponding angles equal. (the red angle = blue angle)
x + 180 - 2y = y
5x = 180 (from above, y = 2x)
x = 36

good explanation but I am not understand (the red angle=blue angle )?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mkumar26 wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
In the figure attached, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = AB. What is the value of x (in degrees)?

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

Also, the moment you see the circle and its two radii, mark them equal and the corresponding angles equal. (the red angle = blue angle)
x + 180 - 2y = y
x = 36

good explanation but I am not understand (the red angle=blue angle )?

OA and OB are radii of the same circle so they will be equal. So in triangle OAB, angle OAB = OBA ie. red angle = blue angle (in my diagram)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
[quote="VeritasPrepKarishma"]
Hi,

if OC = AC = AB, then how come the three angles are not equal? (it's illustrated as x, y, and y in your diagram versus all y's)

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
modernx wrote:
Hi,

if OC = AC = AB, then how come the three angles are not equal? (it's illustrated as x, y, and y in your diagram versus all y's)

Thanks

When two sides of a triangle are equal, the angles opposite them are equal. OC and AC form triangle OAC. The angles opposite to these two will be equal angle AOC = OAC. But we can't say what the measure of the equal angles is.

While AC and BC form triangle ABC. Angles opposite these will be equal angle BAC = CBA. But we can't say what the measure of the equal angles is.

Note that just because the triangles share a side AC, it doesn't mean the opposite angles will all be of the same measure. They are angles in different triangles. The length of the side does not give the angle.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
tonebeeze wrote:

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

x + 180 - 2y = y
x = 36

VeritasPrepKarishma hello :)

cant understand the logic behind this (180 - 2x) + y = 180 (straight angle) so 2x = y

if you are deducting 2x from 180 then why are you adding y ? there are 2x and 2y right and how 2x = y :?

why triangle OAB an isosceles and not an equilateral :?

please explain:)

have a great wekkend :)
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:

a. 40
b. 36
c. 34
d. 32
e. 30

A small diagram helps:
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

x + 180 - 2y = y
x = 36

VeritasPrepKarishma hello :)

cant understand the logic behind this (180 - 2x) + y = 180 (straight angle) so 2x = y

if you are deducting 2x from 180 then why are you adding y ? there are 2x and 2y right and how 2x = y :?

why triangle OAB an isosceles and not an equilateral :?

please explain:)

have a great wekkend :)

In triangle OAC, OC = AC
That is why angle COA = angle OAC = x
So angle OCA = 180 - x - x = 180 - 2x

Also AC = BC, so in triangle ACB,
angle ACB = angle CBA = y

Angles OCA and ACB form a straight angle so
180 - 2x + y = 180

In triangle OAB, OA = OB = radius of the circle. But these are not equal to AB (so not equilateral)
Note that AB is actually equal to OC (and AC). OC is less than the radius of the circle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
If you would like a video explanation

https://gmatquantum.com/official-guides ... nt-review/

From GMAT Quantum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

Attachment:
Untitled.png
In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = AB. What is the value of x ?

(A) 40
(B) 36
(C) 34
(0) 32
(E) 30

Since OC = AC, ∆AOC is an isosceles triangle, which means ∠OAC is also x°

Since all 3 angles in ∆AOC must add to 180°, we can conclude that ∠OCA = (180-2x)°

Since angles on a LINE must add to 180°, we can conclude that ∠ACB = 2x°

Since AC = AB, ∆ACB is an isosceles triangle, which means ∠CBA is also 2x°

Finally, since OA and OB are radii of the same circle, we know that ∆OAB is an isosceles triangle, which means ∠OABis also 2x°

At this point, we can see that the 3 angles ∆OAB are x°, 2x° and 2x°
Since the angles in a triangle must add to 180°, we can write: x° + 2x° + 2x° = 180°
Simplify: 5x = 180
Solve: x = 36

Answer: B

RELATED VIDEO FROM OUR COURSE

@brentprepnow cant we arrive at Angle ACB= 2x using external angle equals sum of opp interior angles?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29924 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GMATaxe001 wrote:

@brentprepnow cant we arrive at Angle ACB= 2x using external angle equals sum of opp interior angles?

We can definitely use that property to find angle ACB.
That said, many/most students aren't aware of the external angle property. So I don't use it in my solutions.

Cheers,
Brent
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = [#permalink]
OFFICIAL GMAT EXPLANATION

Consider the figure above, where DB is a diameter of the circle with center O and AD is a chord. Since OC = AC, ΔOCA is isosceles and so the base angles, ∠AOC and ∠OAC, have the same degree measure. The measure of ∠AOC is given as x°, so the measure of ∠OAC is x°. Since AC = AB, ΔCAB is isosceles and so the base angles, ∠ACB and ∠ABC, have the same degree measure. The measure of each is marked as y°. Likewise, since OD and OA are radii of the circle, OD = OA, and ΔDOA is isosceles with base angles, ∠ADO and ∠DAO, each measuring z°. Each of the following statements is true:

i. The measure of ∠CAB is 180 − 2y since the sum of the measures of the angles of ΔCAB is 180.
ii. ∠DAB is a right angle (because DB is a diameter of the circle) and so z + x + (180 − 2y) = 90, or, equivalently, 2y − x − z = 90.
iii. z + 90 + y = 180 since the sum of the measures of the angles of right triangle ΔDAB is 180, or, equivalently, z = 90 − y.
iv. x = 2z because the measure of exterior angle ∠AOC to ΔAOD is the sum of the measures of the two opposite interior angles, ∠ODA and ∠OAD.
v. y = 2x because the measure of exterior angle ∠ACB to ΔOCA is the sum of the measures of the two opposite interior angles, ∠COA and ∠CAO.

Multiplying the final equation in (iii) by 2 gives 2z = 180 − 2y. But, x = 2z in (iv), so x = 180 − 2y. Finally, the sum of the measures of the angles of ΔCAB is 180 and so y + y + x = 180. Then from (v), 2x + 2x + x = 180, 5x = 180, and x = 36.
Attachments

PS02389_f002.png
PS02389_f002.png [ 6.19 KiB | Viewed 4284 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, point O is the center of the circle and OC = AC = AB. What is the value of x ?

(A) 40
(B) 36
(C) 34
(0) 32
(E) 30

Attachment:
The attachment Untitled.png is no longer available

Another approach:

Since, AC = AB, Angle ACB = ABC;
Also, since OC = AC, Angle AOC = Angle OAC = x

Angle ACB is the external Angle to Triangle AOC at C. Therefore, Ange ACB = 2(Angle AOC) = 2*x =2x
Since Angle ACB = Angle ABC, Angle ABC = 2x

Now extend the radius OB to M, making it the diameter (Illustrated in the attached image)

In Triangle MAB, Angle MAB = 90 (Angle in a semi circle)
Also, Angle AMB = x/2 (Angle subtended at the arc is half the angle subtended at the centre)
Also, for Triangle MAB,
Angle MAB + Angle AMB + Angle MBA = 180 (Interior angles of a triangle)
i.e. 90 + x/2 + 2x = 180
or, 5x/2 = 90
or, x = 36

Therefore, (B) is the correct answer
This is an indirect method. In Hindi this approach would be called "Olte haath se seedha kaan pakadna" (Holding right ear with left hand). But if it hits you at the right time, it works :)
Attachments

Circle Question Answer_Format.jpg
Circle Question Answer_Format.jpg [ 40.98 KiB | Viewed 3887 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
BrainLab wrote:
the measure of the exterior angle is equal to the sum of the two non-adjacent angles of the triangle --> Angle ACB=2x
OA=OB => 180-4x+x=2x; X=36°

KarishmaB

I found it to be more intuitive to have angle CAB = 180-4x as the user indicated above. However, I tried solving for x using the angles for the whole larger triangle combined so angles
COA + OAB + CBA
In other words, I did x + 180-4x + 2x + x and then set it equal to 180 because that is all that the whole triangle can equal. However, everything canceled out. Why doesn't this work? Thank you for your help :)
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
BrainLab wrote:
the measure of the exterior angle is equal to the sum of the two non-adjacent angles of the triangle --> Angle ACB=2x
OA=OB => 180-4x+x=2x; X=36°

KarishmaB

I found it to be more intuitive to have angle CAB = 180-4x as the user indicated above. However, I tried solving for x using the angles for the whole larger triangle combined so angles
COA + OAB + CBA
In other words, I did x + 180-4x + 2x + x and then set it equal to 180 because that is all that the whole triangle can equal. However, everything canceled out. Why doesn't this work? Thank you for your help :)

Take a simpler example:
Say in a triangle, two angles are x and 2x. Now if we find that the third angle is also x, we can find the value of x using x + 2x + x = 180.
But if we ignore that and say that the third angle is (180 - 3x), can we use
x + 2x + (180 - 3x) = 180 ?
No, we have already utilised this property of sum of angles before.
In our original question too, the values are such that we can utilise this property once to get the value of x.
We must identify that angle CAB is also x and not use 180 - 4x.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 40
(B) 36
(C) 34
(0) 32
(E) 30

Attachment:
Untitled.png

OC=AC
Hence,Angle AOC=x=Angle OAC
Angle ACB=Angle AOC + Angle OAC(As per the rule)=2x
AC=AB(Given)
Hence,Angle ACB=Angle ABC=2x
OA=OB(radius of the same circle)
Hence,AOB is an isosceles triangle.
Angle OAB=Angle OBA(2x)
Angle OAB =Angle OAC(x)+Angle CAB(180-4x)
Hence,
2x=x+180-4x
5x=180
x=36

Option B
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts