Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Geometryx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23856 [251]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [66]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [13]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on [#permalink]
Bunuel - As we know CE=AC=5 so AD=2r=AC+CD=6, can this be an alternative way to confirm that statement#2 is sufficient?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dienekes wrote:
Bunuel - As we know CE=AC=5 so AD=2r=AC+CD=6, can this be an alternative way to confirm that statement#2 is sufficient?

Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bunuel, are there any similar problems to this one?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ergenekon wrote:
Bunuel, are there any similar problems to this one?

We can consider this question as shaded region problem. Check other Shaded Region Problems in our Special Questions Directory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In this question Why are we considering C towards left of D its not stated in the question that its in left of D its shown but not stated. C is given that its lie on the same line and its center of larger circle, But what if the C is towards right of D. Then we can not solve this question using only statement 2.

Should the diagram be considered as concrete not flexible?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Parth Monga wrote:
In this question Why are we considering C towards left of D its not stated in the question that its in left of D its shown but not stated. C is given that its lie on the same line and its center of larger circle, But what if the C is towards right of D. Then we can not solve this question using only statement 2.

Should the diagram be considered as concrete not flexible?

OG13, page 272:
A figure accompanying a data sufficiency problem will conform to the information given in the question but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
Lines shown as straight can be assumed to be straight and lines that appear jagged can also be assumed to be straight.
You may assume that the positions of points, angles, regions, and so forth exist in the order shown and that angle measures are greater than zero degrees.
All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

OG13, page 150:
Figures: A figure accompanying a problem solving question is intended to provide information useful in solving the problem. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Hope it helps.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Walkabout wrote:

In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on both circles, B is the center of the smaller circle, C is the center of the larger circle, D is on the smaller circle, and E is on the larger circle. What is the area of the region inside the larger circle and outside the smaller circle?

(1) AB = 3 and BC = 2
(2) CD = 1 and DE = 4

Attachment:
Two circles.png

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We are given a large circle that wholly contains a smaller circle. the area outside the small circle that is inside the large circle. If we can determine either the radius or the diameter of each circle, we will be able to determine the area inside the large circle that is outside the small circle.

Statement One Alone:

From statement one, we see that the radius AB of the small circle is 3. And since BC = 2, we add this to the length of AB= 3 to get AC = 2 + 3 = 5, the radius of the larger circle.

Statement one alone is sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

We know that CE is the radius of the larger circle, Since CD = 1 and DE = 4, we see that CE = 1 + 4 = 5.

We know that CE = AC = 5 since C is the center of the larger circle. We are given that CD = 1, and we know that AC + CD = AD is the diameter of the smaller circle. Thus, by substitution, we know that AD = 5 + 1 = 6, and this is the diameter of the smaller circle.

Statement two is also sufficient.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Walkabout wrote:

In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on both circles, B is the center of the smaller circle, C is the center of the larger circle, D is on the smaller circle, and E is on the larger circle. What is the area of the region inside the larger circle and outside the smaller circle?

(1) AB = 3 and BC = 2
(2) CD = 1 and DE = 4

Attachment:
Two circles.png

Solve the Official Questions more productively

Click here for Timed Sectional Tests with Video solutions of each question
Also explore Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option D

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Question:In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, and E lie on a line. A is on both circles, B is the center of the smaller circle, C is the center of the larger circle, D is on the smaller circle, and E is on the larger circle. What is the area of the region inside the larger circle and outside the smaller circle?

(1) AB = 3 and BC = 2
(2) CD = 1 and DE = 4

A question like this may seem to feel like easy and on reading it usually students end up marking option A as answer! Simply because the right side of our brain could easily decode statement 1 but NOT statement 2.
A GMAT Geometry question like this needs a very wide but precise perspective and inference making skills.If you haven’t got it right and hence scrolling through the answers lets break this down for you in 3 simple steps or GMAT Track of thoughts.

:idea: GMAT Track of Thought 1
What do I have from the Question stem? :think:

Do I have the center mentioned in the question? Yes I do! B is the CENTER of the smaller circle, C is the CENTER of the larger circle.

Points A,D,E are just points on the circumferences of the larger and smaller circles respectively.

What do I need to answer?
The area of the region inside the larger circle and outside the smaller circle. Let me shade it.

:idea: GMAT Track of Thought 2

To answer the question stem what variables or constants I need?

The shaded area is the difference between the areas of the larger circle with centre C and the smaller circle with centre B. Let me mark the radiuses of the larger and smaller circle as R and r respectively.

So I would need to know :)
∏\(R^2\) - ∏\(r^2\) and since ∏ is a constant I need the difference between \(R^2 \)and \(r^2 \)or the values of R and r individually so that the difference could be found.

:idea: GMAT Track of Thought 3

What do I have from statement 1? :dazed
AB=3 & BC =2
AB=3 provides me with the value of “r”. :)

I need R which is dependent on centre C. Since BC=2, I can add AB and BC to have AC.
So AC=3+2=5
I would do so since AC is the radius of the larger circle and gives me exactly the value of‘R’!

So I have r = 3 and R = 5.

This is sufficient.
I can eliminate B,C,E answer choices right away.

:idea: GMAT Track of Thought 4

What do I have from statement 2?
CD = 1 and DE = 4
Its observed that CD and DE added gives me CE which is the radius of the larger circle.
So I have CD + DE = 1 + 4 = 5= CE as R.

Now how do I think for ‘r’? :oops:
Here is where my observation and logical skills need to work in tandem. Let me see. I have to be careful to not intermix data from statement 1 here. May be redrawing the figures is a good idea to avoid this error!

Since CE = 5 AC also is 5 (R).Diameter of the larger circle = 2 * 5 = 10.Doesnt help!

Since CD =1 , AD = 5 +1 =6 Bam! Doesn’t help yet!

Lets think harder. :angry:

Well AD is the diameter of the smaller circle(visual skills)
This implies AD = 2*r
 6 = 2*r or r = 3 Bingo! :cool:

So I have the values of R & r from statement 2 also and hence it is sufficient to answer the question stem.
Eliminate A and mark answer option D as the correct answer to this question.

:idea: PS-If this question was a miss for you try to absorb the takeaway and practice more questions(official) that challenges your visual and logical skills. May be pick up some Advanced 700 questions from Geometry after you have mastered the Intermediate.

Devmitra Sen
GMAT Mentor
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts