Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4040 [66]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [19]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [4]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink]
Kudos
emmak wrote:
Attachment:
1.jpg
In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points A, B, and C on the circle, given that minor arc (AB) is one-third of the total circumference and length (AB)=\(12\sqrt{3}\) , what is the radius of the circle?

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Guys I did this question with this approach, can you kindly evaluate the approach
\(AB= \frac{1}{3} Circumference\)
So,\(AB = \frac{2}{3}Pi* R\)
Also \(AB=12\sqrt{3}\)
Therefore, \(12\sqrt{3} = \frac{2}{3}Pi* R\)
Manipulating\(R = 12\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
emmak wrote:
In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points A, B, and C on the circle, given that minor arc (AB) is one-third of the total circumference and length (AB)=\(12\sqrt{3}\) , what is the radius of the circle?

\(\angle AOB = 120^{\circ}\)

So,

\(\angle\) ACB = \(60^{\circ}\)

So, the \(\triangle\) ABC is a 30, 60, 90 triangle and the sides are in the ratio 1 : \(\sqrt{3}\) : 2

or 12 : 12\(\sqrt{3}\) : 24

So, AC = 24 and hence AO = 12

Answer is A

How do you that
since \(\angle AOB = 120^{\circ}\)
so \(\angle\) ACB = \(60^{\circ}\) ?

:banana
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Good question. It tests three must know properties for the GMAT:

1. A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

According to the above, we have that ABC is a right triangle, with a right angle at B.

2. The Central Angle Theorem states that the measure of inscribed angle is always half the measure of the central angle.

According to the above, central angle AOB is twice inscribed angle ACB (notice that both subtend the same arc AB). Hence since AOB=120 degrees (third of 360 degrees), then ACB=60 degrees. So, we have that triangle ABC is 30°-60°-90° right triangle.

3. In a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° the sides are always in the ratio \(1 : \sqrt{3}: 2\).

Notice that the smallest side (1) is opposite the smallest angle (30°), and the longest side (2) is opposite the largest angle (90°).

Thus, \(AB:AC=\sqrt{3}: 2\) --> \(\frac{12\sqrt{3}}{AC}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\) --> AC=diameter=24 --> radius=12.

Answer: A.

For more on triangles check: math-triangles-87197.html
For more on circles check: math-circles-87957.html

Hope it helps.

I'm having trouble visualizing your 2nd point; could you draw a rough illustration of it? I'm familiar with the theorem, great illustration here: https://www.mathopenref.com/arccentralangletheorem.html, but I can't visualize it in this problem. I got the answer correct as the sqrt(3) tipped me off to a likely 30-60-90, but I'd like to learn a bit more from this problem
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618801 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

1. A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

According to the above, we have that ABC is a right triangle, with a right angle at B.

2. The Central Angle Theorem states that the measure of inscribed angle is always half the measure of the central angle.

According to the above, central angle AOB is twice inscribed angle ACB (notice that both subtend the same arc AB). Hence since AOB=120 degrees (third of 360 degrees), then ACB=60 degrees. So, we have that triangle ABC is 30°-60°-90° right triangle.

3. In a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° the sides are always in the ratio \(1 : \sqrt{3}: 2\).

Notice that the smallest side (1) is opposite the smallest angle (30°), and the longest side (2) is opposite the largest angle (90°).

Thus, \(AB:AC=\sqrt{3}: 2\) --> \(\frac{12\sqrt{3}}{AC}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\) --> AC=diameter=24 --> radius=12.

Hope it helps.

I'm having trouble visualizing your 2nd point; could you draw a rough illustration of it? I'm familiar with the theorem, great illustration here: https://www.mathopenref.com/arccentralangletheorem.html, but I can't visualize it in this problem. I got the answer correct as the sqrt(3) tipped me off to a likely 30-60-90, but I'd like to learn a bit more from this problem

Please, follow this link: math-circles-87957.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Do we just assume that AC is the diameter?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ok, assuming we know this is a right triangle because we know that the picture is accurate...

If the triangle is a right triangle, we know that angle B is the right angle. Furthermore, we are given that arc AB = 1/3 of the circle's circumference (i.e it = 120 degrees) This means that AOB, the central angle = 120 degrees and because AO and BO are radii, we know that triangle AOB is an isosceles triangle. We also know the angle measure of angle BOC which = 180 - 120 = 60. If angle AOB is the interior angle, it is twice the measure of the "exterior" angle ACB, so ACB = 60. Now we know that triangle BOC is equilateral. More importantly, we know that ABC is a 30:60:90 triangle. With this, we can find the measure of any given side knowing just the measure of one. The ratio of side lengths in a 30:60:90 is (x/2):(3/2*x):(x) in this case, x (the radius) = 12.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Please read here: in-the-figure-above-showing-circle-with-center-o-and-points-147885.html#p1187477

We did not assume that. AC passes through the center of the circle thus it's the diameter.

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Please read here: in-the-figure-above-showing-circle-with-center-o-and-points-147885.html#p1187477

We did not assume that. AC passes through the center of the circle thus it's the diameter.

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s side, then that triangle is a right triangle.

I understand the rule, but in other words, how do we know that the drawing isn't misleading and that AC passes above the center?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

I understand the rule, but in other words, how do we know that the drawing isn't misleading and that AC passes above the center?

OG13, page 150:
Figures: A figure accompanying a problem solving question is intended to provide information useful in solving the problem. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

OG13, page 272:
A figure accompanying a data sufficiency problem will conform to the information given in the question but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
Lines shown as straight can be assumed to be straight and lines that appear jagged can also be assumed to be straight.
You may assume that the positions of points, angles, regions, and so forth exist in the order shown and that angle measures are greater than zero degrees.
All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel

Particularly in this question with the given options , do we even need this much detail.

We know that the angle AOB = 120 degrees as it is 1/3 the circumference. AO=OB as they are the radius. So the two angles OAB and OBA will be equal in the triangle AOB. Thus Angle OBA=OBA=30 ( 180-120)/2. In a triangle the greatest side is opposite the largest angle . Here AB is opposite the largest angle and is 12sqrt2 so the other sides ( the radii) will have to be less that this value and only A satisfies the condition over here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hi please help, got stuck. why dont i get a clean answer of 12?

12\(\sqrt{3}\) = \(\frac{1}{3}\) * 2 * pie * R
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
In the figure above, showing circle with center O and points [#permalink]
emmak wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment 1.jpg is no longer available
given that minor arc (AB) is one-third of the total circumference and length (AB)=\(12\sqrt{3}\) ,

does the wording simply states that the length of the arc AB is one third WITHOUT INDICATING THE EXACT VALUE, and the value of 12 root 3 is given for the side AB (rather than the arc AB)? i think the probles is poorly worded. look how it looks in the original. veritas should not have placed that bar above AB if they meant it was not the arc but the length
Attachments

2016-02-23 16-47-01 gmat.veritasprep.com gmat exams 1105058 responses 18191158 - Google Chrome.png
2016-02-23 16-47-01 gmat.veritasprep.com gmat exams 1105058 responses 18191158 - Google Chrome.png [ 92.84 KiB | Viewed 27969 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
suk1234 wrote:
emmak wrote:
Attachment:
1.jpg

A. 12
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Guys I did this question with this approach, can you kindly evaluate the approach
\(AB= \frac{1}{3} Circumference\)
So,\(AB = \frac{2}{3}Pi* R\)
Also \(AB=12\sqrt{3}\)
Therefore, \(12\sqrt{3} = \frac{2}{3}Pi* R\)
Manipulating\(R = 12\)

AB Arc and not AB line segment is equal to 2/3 of circumference. Moreover AB arc is not 12root3, AB Line segment is.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts