Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3421 [585]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [292]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [55]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [9]
Send PM
Re: In the figure, each side of square ABCD has length 1, the length of li [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
singh_amit19 wrote:
In the figure (attchd), each side of square ABCD has length 1, the length of line Segment CE is 1, and the length of line segment BE is equal to the length Of line segment DE. What is the area of the triangular region BCE?

a. 1/3
b. (2^-2 )/4
c. 1/2
d. (2^-2)/2
e. 3/4

I got sqrt(2) / 4

I am wondering about ans. b and d in fact 2^-2 = 1/4 I think it should be sqrt(2) instead ... maybe I am wrong

Here is how I did it:
let's suppose O the intersection of ABCD diagonals. In tirangle BDE, the points A, C and O are alignes since C is the barycenter of the triangle (CE=CB=CD) and BED is isocel.

We can calculate the area of BCE by substracting the area of BOC from BOE.

area of BOE=BO*BE/2 = (1/sqrt(2)) * (1/sqrt(2) + 1) / 2 = (1 + sqrt(2))/4
area of BOC= 0.25 area of the square= 1/4

Thus area of BCE = (1 + sqrt(2))/4 - 1/4 = sqrt(2)/4
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [11]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Re: In the figure, each side of square ABCD has length 1, the length of li [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
the figure shown above is a square pyramid .Only then BE and DE will be the same .Now we are asked to find the are of one of the slant faces .
Area of a pyramid =1/2 * perimeter of the base * slant height
=1/2 *(4)*1

We need the area of one of the sides only .Hence Area = 1/2.
Option B is the answer .Sorry if i had brought in some new formulas and concepts .Hope you are aware .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Three sides are equal) --> \(\angle{BCE}=\angle{DCE}\). So if we continue the line segment CE it will meet with the crosspoint of the diagonals, let's call it point O. Also note that EO will be perpendicular to BD, as diagonals in square make a right angle.

Hello Bunuel
Could you please explain the underlying logic behind highlighted portion. I failed to understand why it would meet at point O. Please explain.
Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Three sides are equal) --> \(\angle{BCE}=\angle{DCE}\). So if we continue the line segment CE it will meet with the crosspoint of the diagonals, let's call it point O. Also note that EO will be perpendicular to BD, as diagonals in square make a right angle.

Hello Bunuel
Could you please explain the underlying logic behind highlighted portion. I failed to understand why it would meet at point O. Please explain.
Thanks

Since triangles BCE and CDE are congruent, then \(\angle{BEC}=\angle{DEC}\), which means that CE is the bisector of angle E. But triangle BED is an isosceles, thus bisector of angle E must also be the height and the median.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
another way to do this problem

extend BC to the right, let's say this point is X. Connect E to X so that CXE is a right angle.

Now, for triangle BCE base BC = 1 and height EX = 1/(sqrt)2.
How length of EX is derived:
angle ECX = 180 - angle BCE = 180 - 135 = 45 deg.
so, triangle ECX is a 45-45-90 right angle triangle and EC is 1.

Area = 1/2 * 1 * 1/(sqrt)2 = 1/2*(sqrt)2 = sqrt(2)/4.

HTH
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Lots of great information here on this tricky question. I think there may be one more way to look at the solution that might be easier for some people. The basic idea is: flatten the shape. Put point E right onto the square. Then, do all the normal things that you should always be doing in GMAT geometry. For a square you should always be thinking about the diagonal. For the area of a triangle you should always draw a height. Look for special triangles. In this case you have a 45-45-90 which allows you to get the measure of the height. Plug in all of the numbers into the area of a triangle formula. Rationalize the denominator. Simplify and you're there.

I added a diagram. I hope that it's clear. Feel free to follow up with any questions!

Happy Studies,

A.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
hey ..
why can`t we assume this a 3-d figure where extended part "bedc" seems to be coming out ..
and as a result angle bce=dce=90..and then 1/2 bh
area comes as 1/2..

whats wrong..plz xplain.
thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shreygupta3192 wrote:
hey ..
why can`t we assume this a 3-d figure where extended part "bedc" seems to be coming out ..
and as a result angle bce=dce=90..and then 1/2 bh
area comes as 1/2..

whats wrong..plz xplain.
thanks

You are overthinking it. On the GMAT, all figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi,

I received this question towards the end of my mock test very recently. Since I didn't have enough time to literally solve it, I made an educated guess, used POE and moved on. Fortunately it worked.

Here's how I approached it:

Given:

- ABCD are all equal to 1; therefore BC=1
- CE=1
- BE=DE

Area of BCE = 1/2 x BC x height (ht)

Since ht is the perpendicular distance and CE is the hypotenuse, height<1

Therefore area of BCE = 1/2 x 1 x something less than 1 = LT 1/2------- (this narrows down ur options to A and B)

Now A and B are very close: A= 0.33 and B=0.32.

I chose B (Not much logic here: honestly because every other answer choice had an even denominator and root 2 appeared as a split in 2 ans choices).

It would be great if any expert can help me figure out whether there's any other solid way to eliminate A (other than the super difficult approach already mentioned in the post)

My exam is around the corner and any quick help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos