Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [455]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [367]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [36]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [21]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, what is the value of x? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 0:26
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [8]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi

for geom it is often more convenient to name angles your own way to avoid excessive abstraction: a, b, c, d (please the attached file) - because many of the angles get cancelled out during calculations and overall the less astractive the more comprehensible.

We are given that angle RPT=90. We derive that QSTU is a rectangle where one of the angles = x = 360 - 90 - c - d. We also understand that x = 180 - a - b.

ANSWER C:

ST 1: QR=RS hence a=a=angle RQS=angle RSQ - insufficient, because we do not know how other angles relate to each other and to x. At this point we understand that knowing b would suffice the question.

ST 2: ST=UT hence b=b - insufficient for the same reasons stated above. Clearly this statement gives just the same piece of information as the statement 1 does. We also understand it is a good thing to combine both statements.

ST 2 + ST 1: at this point we can stop and choose C because the stimulus gives you a bold hint that one of the angles of the triangle equals 90, x is within the rectangle where one of the angles is 90, 2 of the smaller triangles are isosceles, those base angles in the triangles are adjacent to x - having taken a short glimpse of all those factors you could figure out halfway that this is pretty much enough for a geom question like that to avoid answer E and choose C.

However, this is the solution for C:

1. x=180-(a+b) and x=360-(90+c+d)
2. a=180-c and b=180-d
3. combine (1) and (2): 360-90-c-d = 180 - (180-c) - (180-d)
4. c+d=225
5. x=360-(90+225)=45
Attachments

File comment: visualization
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 20.69 KiB | Viewed 143438 times ]

Originally posted by shasadou on 01 Sep 2015, 03:13.
Last edited by shasadou on 22 Oct 2015, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.29
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Well this is how I would solve this.

Original statement:

What is x?

Without jumping into statements, we can clearly see that x = 180 - ARSQ - ATSU.

Statement 1:

Statement 1 says that triangle QRS is isosceles. with ARSQ = ARQS

therefore we know that ARSQ = (180 - ASRQ)/2.

However, without information about triangle TSU cannot solve the above equation about x.

Insufficient

Statement 2:

Statement 2 says that triangle TSU is isosceles with ATSU = (180 - ASTU)/2.
Similar to statement 1, not enough information about triangle RSQ to find x.

Insufficient.

Statement 1 + 2:

From statement 1: we know that ARSQ = (180-ASRQ)/2
From statement 2: we know that ATSU = (180-ASTU)/2

Plugging these information into the x = 180 - ARSQ - ATSU we see that

x = 180 - (180-ASRQ)/2 - (180-ASTU)/2 = 180 - (360/2) + (ASRQ + ASTU)/2 = (ASRQ + ASTU)/2

Since we know points RTP makes a right triangle, we know that ASRQ + ASTU = 90.

x = 45.

Sufficient.

My answer would be C.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ravikumarmishra wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure shown, what is the value of x?

\(x+\angle{QSR}+\angle{UST}=180\) (straight line =180) and \(\angle{R}+\angle{T}=90\) (as PRT is right angle)

(1) The length of line segment QR is equal to the length of line segment RS --> triangle QRS is isosceles --> \(\angle{RQS}=\angle{QSR}=\frac{180-\angle{R}}{2}\) (as \(\angle{RQS}+\angle{QSR}+\angle{R}=180\) --> \(2*\angle{QSR}+\angle{R}=180\) --> \(\angle{QSR}=\frac{180-\angle{R}}{2}\)). Not sufficient.

(2) The length of line segment ST is equal to the length of line segment TU --> triangle UST is isosceles --> \(\angle{SUT}=\angle{UST}=\frac{180-\angle{T}}{2}\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(x+\angle{QSR}+\angle{UST}=180\) --> \(x+\frac{180-\angle{R}}{2}+\frac{180-\angle{T}}{2}=180\) --> \(x+\frac{360-(\angle{R}+\angle{T})}{2}=180\) --> since \(\angle{R}+\angle{T}=90\) --> \(x+\frac{360-90}{2}=180\) --> \(x=45\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Thanks Bunuel, perfect solution. For more practice, can you please provide links for similar problems, thanks.

23. Geometry

24. Coordinate Geometry

25. Triangles

26. Polygons

27. Circles

28. Rectangular Solids and Cylinders

29. Graphs and Illustrations

For other subjects:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
In the figure shown, what is the value of x? [#permalink]
Kudos
blazov wrote:
In the figure shown , what is the value of x?

(1) The length of segment QR is equal to the length of line segment RS

(2) The length of segment ST is Equal to the length of line segment TU

Statement 1: Gives us nothing , since we don't know any other angles or property to compute other angles

Statement 2: Gives us nothing , since we don't know any other angles or property to compute other angles

Combined: We know that \(\angle\)RQS and \(\angle\)RSQ are same, since have also equal sides RS=RQ. Also angles \(\angle\)TSU and \(\angle\)TUS are same since ST=TU

We will name angles as below for simplicity;

\(\angle\) RQS=Z, \(\angle\)RSQ=Z, \(\angle\)QRS=B

\(\angle\)TSU=W, \(\angle\)TUS=W, \(\angle\)STU=C

So, we know that: \(90^{\circ}\)+B+C=180 meaning, B+C=\(90^{\circ}\)

I we add up angles of both triangles of QRS and STU: \(\angle\)B+2 *\(\angle\)Z+\(\angle\)C+2 *\(\angle\)W=\(360^{\circ}\)

Since we know \(\angle\)B+\(\angle\)C=\(90^{\circ}\), we subtract it: 2 *\(\angle\)Z+2 *\(\angle\)W=\(270^{\circ}\)

We can divide both sides by 2 and get : \(\angle\)Z+\(\angle\)W=\(135^{\circ}\)

To find \(\angle\)SQP and \(\angle\)SUP
360-\(\angle\)(Z+W)=\(225^{\circ}\)

\(\angle\)SQPU=\(360^{\circ}\)
90+225+x=\(360^{\circ}\)

X=\(45^{\circ}\)

Both statements together are enough. Answer C
Attachments

File comment: Explanation
GMAT triangle.png
GMAT triangle.png [ 87.14 KiB | Viewed 142390 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Petermeterdeter wrote:
Ok. Here is what I don't get.
To solve this question it is assumed that the two triangles RQS and SUT are isosceles triangles. This assumption is based on the condition QS=QR. My problem however is that an equilateral triangle QS=QR=SR would also satisfy the condition QS=QR. In that way the angles could be either 45-45-90 or 60-60-60. So what am I missing that gives proof that these triangles are Isosceles? As far as I know one should never make assumptions based on the graphs in the GMAT.

thanks for quick response

Two notes on this:
1. An isosceles triangle has at least two sides of the same length, which means that if a triangle is equilateral it could still be considered as isosceles.

2. Triangle QSR is not necessarily 45-45-90 or 60-60-60. Why cannot it be say, 15-15-150?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM