Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19737 [73]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [19]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1038 [5]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
General Discussion
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [3]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: In the first 2 hours after Meadow's self-service laundry opens, m larg [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:
In the first 2 hours after Meadow's self-service laundry opens, m large washing machines and n small washing machines are in continual use. Including the time for filling and emptying the washing machines, each load of laundry takes 30 minutes in a large washing machine and 20 minutes in a small washing machine. What is the total number of loads of laundry done at Meadow's self-service laundry during this 2-hour period?

(1) n = 3m
(2) 2m + 3n = 55
DS01451.01

1. If there is only 1 large and 1 small machine then, in 2 hours, the large washing machine will process 4 loads \((120/30 = 4)\) and the small washing machine will process 6 loads \((120/20 = 6)\) of laundry
2. Hence, if there were \(m\) large washing machines and \(n\) small washing machines, then in a 2 hour period these would process \(4m + 6n\) loads of laundry
3. We need the value of \(4m + 6n\) to answer the question

Option A
\(4m + 6 * 3m = 4m + 18m = 22m\)

Option B
\(2m + 3n = 55\)

Multiplying the equation by 2 yields,

\(4m + 6n = 110\)

Ans B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Re: In the first 2 hours after Meadow's self-service laundry opens, m larg [#permalink]
Kudos
Large washer = 30 minutes per load
small washer = 20 minutes per load

In a 2 hour period, a large washer can complete 4 loads. A small washer can complete 6 loads.

We can use the equation 4m+ 6n for our total loads.

(1) n = 3m

We can't obtain the total loads from this equation. Insufficient.

(2) 2m + 3n = 55

4m + 6n = 110

SUFFICIENT

Answer is B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
KNOW: m Large machines --> 30 minutes each --> 4 loads in 2 hrs
n Small machines --> 20 minutes each --> 6 loads in 2 hrs

Find: 4m + 6n

STATEMENTS
(1) n = 3m

INSUFFICIENT

(2) 2m + 3n = 55
Multiple both sides by 2
=> 4m + 6n = 110

SUFFICIENT

Thus, the answer is B.

Hope this helps. :)

NOTE: Make sure you read the question carefully and write down the equations and expressions on the scratch paper.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Classic reducing equation trap option, in 2nd condition, forcing students to look for another equation. But if its proportional to the question stem, then you dont need the 2nd equation. The trick in this question is basically translating the question into this equation -> 4m + 6n

Each m laundry can do 2 washes in an hour and thus 4 washes in the 2 hour period. Similarly, n can do 6n.

Thus, Statement 2 is adequate, since we can just multiply the given info by 2 and arrive at 4m + 6n
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
In the first 2 hours after Meadow's self-service laundry opens, m larg [#permalink]
gmatt1476 wrote:
In the first 2 hours after Meadow's self-service laundry opens, m large washing machines and n small washing machines are in continual use. Including the time for filling and emptying the washing machines, each load of laundry takes 30 minutes in a large washing machine and 20 minutes in a small washing machine. What is the total number of loads of laundry done at Meadow's self-service laundry during this 2-hour period?

(1) n = 3m
(2) 2m + 3n = 55

DS01451.01

n = the number of small machines
m = the number of large machines

4 = the number of loads in two hrs from a large machine
6 = the number of loads in two hrs from a small machine

(2) gives us an equation for the number of machines, however this equation can be solved in more than one way:

A) if m = 20 (large machines), then n = 5 (small machines)
2*20 + 3*5 = 55 machines

B) if m = 5 (large machines), then n = 15 (small machines)
2*5 + 3*15 = 55 machines

A) gives us a total of 20*4 + 5*6 = 190 loads in two hours
B) gives us a total of 5*4 + 15*6 = 110 loads in two hours

The correct answer must be C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
In the first 2 hours after Meadow's self-service laundry opens, m larg [#permalink]
Now I get it.

We know that the number of loads will be 4m + 6n in two hours. Therefore we dont need the number of machines if we know the solution to 4m + 6n.

4m + 6n = 110 (number of machines AND number of loads)

This was intuitively upside down for me first.

If (2) would have been like 2m + 4n = 55 we would not be able to find an answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts