It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 07:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:50) correct 35% (00:44) wrong based on 330 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina, neither Senator Kay Hagan, who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have released recent campaign fundraising figures.

A. who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
B. the Democratic leader, and Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
C. who is the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and also Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
D. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has
E. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

Lets discuss each of the options..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 606

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 293 [3], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
E seems best: the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

faults in bold:
A. who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
B. the Democratic leader, and Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
C. who is the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and also Speaker of the North Carolina House, have
D. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has------------>also D is inferior to E as "her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House" is referring to the same person so better put them in "AND"
E. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

Kudos [?]: 293 [3], given: 61

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 65

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2014, 08:40
Construction: Neither... nor -> eliminate A and B
SVA: Subject is singular, therefore need to use "has" not "have" -> eliminate C
Not sure now, but my guess would be that assuming D is grammatically correct, it is preferable to have all the components that modify "Thom Tillis" in one clause, which leaves us with E.
Or is there an ambiguity issue with D?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 65

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 81

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 10:30
I marked 'D' because I felt this option is grammatically correct as we can have cascaded modifiers(i.e. one after the other).
Here modifier ' the Republican challenger' modifies Thom Tillis while the modifier "who is Speaker of the North Carolina House" modifies the Republican challenger. This construction is grammatically and logically correct.
But there's a catch. I think there is a slight meaning change in 'D' as this option talks about a republican challenger while 'E' rectifies this meaning change via usage of 'her'. Even the question stem points to 'her' challenger not just any challenger(because republication party might have other candidates as well).
Option 'E' preserves the intended meaning and is also grammatically correct.

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 81

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 19:37
Doesn't option E suggest that Thom Tillis is her Republican Challenger and HER Speaker of the North Carolina House?

I think it creates some ambiguity because we can understand it with both the meanings "Thom tillis is her Republican Challenger; Thom tillis is a Speaker of the north.." and "Thom tillis is her republican challenger; Thom tillis is her speaker of the north carolina house".

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 23:40
The use or implies singular, therefore have is incorrect. So we can eliminate A, B, C

Between option D and E:
Thom Tillis is:
1. Republic challenger of Senator
2. Speaker of the North Carolina

In option D the Republican challenger seems correct, but use of back to back modifiers in continuation is incorrect.
Option E corrects this by using and for the 2 modifiers

In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina, neither Senator Kay Hagan, who is the Democratic leader, or Thom Tillis, who is her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, have released recent campaign fundraising figures.

D. the Democratic leader, nor Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has

I am not an expert, so please CORRECT me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 102

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 10:41
Could someone please confirm whether "D" is totally wrong or it is just inferior to "E"?

I want to know whether the usage of cascading modifiers such as in "D" is aceptible.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 102

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [2], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
akirah wrote:
Could someone please confirm whether "D" is totally wrong or it is just inferior to "E"?

I want to know whether the usage of cascading modifiers such as in "D" is aceptible.

D is wrong.
We have two modifiers modifying same thing.
This gives a list of two modifiers
Remember since you have a list you need to introduce AND to separate the items.
I hope I am clear as well as correct

I am not an expert, so please CORRECT me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 30 [2], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1363 [1], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
JarvisR wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This sentence tests both verb tense and your understanding of the common constructions (neither…nor, not only…but also, etc.). One fairly easy decision point is the “neither…or” and “neither…and” in answer choices (A) and (B). Those are both incorrect so you should move to (C), (D), and (E), which all contain the proper “neither…nor.” When using “neither…nor” or “either…or”, the rule for subject-verb agreement is that you agree with whichever noun is closest to the verb. In this example, that noun is “Thom Tillis” and you should have a singular verb. In (C) the “have released” is plural so you can eliminate that choice. In (D) the subject verb agreement is correct but the modifiers following “Thom Tillis” are not parallel and illogicallystacked” on top of each other. Only (E) uses the proper “neither…nor”, the proper modifier structures, and the proper singular verb “has released.” Answer is (E).

GMATNinja, I need help with the answer choice between D and E. Why (D) is incorrect?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1363 [1], given: 440

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 06:57
Expert's post
Top Contributor
The only thing that differs between (D) and (E) is the structure of the modifiers.

In (D), Thom Tillis is described by two consecutive modifiers: "...Thom Tillis, the Republican challenger, who is Speaker of the North Carolina House, has..." Veritas is basically arguing that it's inelegant to stick two modifiers right next to each other like this. Fair enough: the two modifiers are describing the same thing (Thom Tillis), so they should be parallel, and separated by "and."

And that's exactly what happens in (E): "...Tillis, her Republican challenger and Speaker of the North Carolina House, has..." And arguably a small bonus point in (E) for adding some extra clarity by calling Tillis "her Republican challenger" -- but I don't think that's a big deal.

Don't overreact to the issue in (D), though: I don't think the GMAT would argue that it's always wrong to have two modifiers in a row like this. It's just that (E) is a better, clearer alternative in this case.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 04:32
Isn't 'her' in option E ambiguous?
Can't 'her' refer back to both the names before it??

Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: ND

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 471

Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 09:24
JarvisR wrote:

Lets discuss each of the options..

E is the correct answer

First decision point: idiomatic expression Neiter...nor....Eliminate A&B
Second decision point: the verb must follow and agree with the noun after "nor" ...here it should be singular "has"..eliminate C
D&E left ...E is more efficient and clear than D

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 471

Re: In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2017, 09:24

In the high-profile Senate race in North Carolina

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap