It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 0

In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2003, 11:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:00) correct 31% (01:09) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, Islam split into two branches, the Sunnis and the Shiites.

(A) over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
(B) over if Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
(C) over whether Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
(D) as to whether the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, is to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-low, Ali
(E) concerning if the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, was to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 30 May 2017, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question, OA added

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Re: In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2003, 11:49
A
islam split over "Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law" 'S appointment not on ali's.. furthermore, 'muhammad' in the opening sentence modifies 'muhammad' in the succeeding

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2003, 12:21
A

Gmat language explanation ...

- 'dispute over' is the corect idiom.
- 'whether' shall beat 'if' most of the times.
- 'was' cannot come here, 'should' is correct.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2010, 10:36
b/w A and C

in c should carry on and be fourth khalifah is contradictory

so ans shld be A

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 10:00
Dispute over is correct idiom

Nough' said

A

Hope this helps
Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 05:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 350

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 08:48
stolyar wrote:
In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, Islam split into two branches, the Sunnis and the Shiites.

(A) over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
(B) over if Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
(C) over whether Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
(D) as to whether the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, is to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-low, Ali
(E) concerning if the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, was to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali

Hello mikemcgarry

Could you tell me why C is wrong in above sentence. I was able to eliminate B, D and E. But i got stuck between Option A and C. I selected C because A says "....dispute over whether....should...". I thought "should" should not be used with whether(decision word).

Could you please clear my understanding.

Regards,
Ammu

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8481 [1], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ammuseeru wrote:
stolyar wrote:

Hello mikemcgarry

Could you tell me why C is wrong in above sentence. I was able to eliminate B, D and E. But i got stuck between Option A and C. I selected C because A says "....dispute over whether....should...". I thought "should" should not be used with whether(decision word).

Regards,
Ammu

Dear ammuseeru,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

To be honest, I am not impressed with this question at all. First of all, the GMAT would never pick so sensitive a topic. I could imagine that some devout Muslims might take offense that the name of God's holy Prophet, peace be upon him, appears in something a trivial as a practice question. All religions should be treated with the utmost of respect, and the official GMAT never touches these topics. Furthermore, I don't think the grammar is sound: I think the posted OA has problems--in fact, I think all five answer choices are wrong.

I think "carry on" is a sloppy casual way to say "continue"--the GMAT would never use this casual construction. Even (A) uses this. The structure "carry on and be the fourth caliph," in both (B) & (C) is even worse!! This makes it sound like two different activities. In American slang, "to carry on" means to have an extramarital sexual affair, so the possible implication to a native speaker's ears are absolutely scandalous! Arguably, (B) and (C) not only are wrong but verge on blasphemous. This questions has numerous shortcomings: its overall quality as a practice question is atrocious.

The word "whether" is perfectly fine with "should." Suppose there's a GMAT student named John. If we know John and know his struggles with math, we might make the factual statement.
John should study more GMAT Quant.
Suppose someone else doesn't know John as well, and wants to ask about this fact. That person might say:
I don't know whether John should study more GMAT Quant.
This can arise whenever our question ("whether") is about the nature of the decision ("should").

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8481 [1], given: 102

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 13:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
stolyar wrote:

Hello mikemcgarry

Regards,
Ammu

Dear ammuseeru,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

To be honest, I am not impressed with this question at all. First of all, the GMAT would never pick so sensitive a topic. I could imagine that some devout Muslims might take offense that the name of God's holy Prophet, peace be upon him, appears in something a trivial as a practice question. All religions should be treated with the utmost of respect, and the official GMAT never touches these topics. Furthermore, I don't think the grammar is sound: I think the posted OA has problems--in fact, I think all five answer choices are wrong.

I think "carry on" is a sloppy casual way to say "continue"--the GMAT would never use this casual construction. Even (A) uses this. The structure "carry on and be the fourth caliph," in both (B) & (C) is even worse!! This makes it sound like two different activities. In American slang, "to carry on" means to have an extramarital sexual affair, so the possible implication to a native speaker's ears are absolutely scandalous! Arguably, (B) and (C) not only are wrong but verge on blasphemous. This questions has numerous shortcomings: its overall quality as a practice question is atrocious.

The word "whether" is perfectly fine with "should." Suppose there's a GMAT student named John. If we know John and know his struggles with math, we might make the factual statement.
John should study more GMAT Quant.
Suppose someone else doesn't know John as well, and wants to ask about this fact. That person might say:
I don't know whether John should study more GMAT Quant.
This can arise whenever our question ("whether") is about the nature of the decision ("should").

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank You Mike. Your wonderful explanation really helped me.

Regards,
Ammu

Re: In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the   [#permalink] 30 May 2017, 13:12

In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap