Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [178]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [22]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [20]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Hi all,

Here is a new SC :

In the mid-1960’s a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets.

(A) rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets
(B) rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack
(C) moon rising to a massive missile attack by the Soviets
(D) moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile attack
(E) rise of the moon as a massive Soviet missile attack

Official Answer: B

Could someone explain me why OA is not D?

Comparison between moon and a missile... that's for me a better comparison than OA

I agree B. The reason why D is wrong is that "moon as it was rising for" suggests that the moon was rising for the sake of "massive Soviet missile attack". For example:

Tom would do anything for her-----> the "for" here has the same logic as that in option D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [6]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Only two close answers are A & B

--Mistook X as Y is incorrect use of idiom.
-- Correct. Idiom Mistook/Mistake X for Y is correctly used here.

Hence choice (B) is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Dear Expert,

May I ask whether "moon rising" and "rising of the moon" are interchangeable? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [3]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

May I ask whether "moon rising" and "rising of the moon" are interchangeable? Thanks!

I am not an expert but I’d like to share my thoughts:
“The rising of the moon” is a noun phrase in which the noun is “the rising” and “of the moon” is a prepositional phrase that modifies the noun.
“The moon rising” is also a noun phrase in which the noun is “the moon” and the present participle “rising” modifies the noun.

The intended comparison is between the event of rising (of the moon) and the attack (of the Soviet missile). I think about the word “attack” and gets that it is an action that is abrupt at first and then progressive. This non-static nature is also seen in the word “rising”. Thus, "rising" and "attack" are in perfect parallel to each other.

If we use “moon rising”, the comparison is now between the moon and the attack -> not convey the intended meaning.
Hope that helps!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

Let's start with this simple example:

• "Bob's fur is brown." - "fur" is a noun, so we use the possessive "Bob's" to qualify that noun

Now consider these two options:

• "Bob barking is keeping me awake."
  • "Bob's barking is keeping me awake."

Which is correct? Well, in this case, "barking" is acting like a noun (it's a gerund, if you like the jargon). Just as we need the possessive form when we write, "Bob's fur," we need a possessive to qualify "barking". So the first option is incorrect. "Moon rising" in (C) has the same problem.

And if you're looking for another reason to give (C) the boot, it uses an illogical idiom: "A newly installed radar warning system mistook the moon rising to a massive missile attack..." I can mistake one item for another, but I can't mistake one item to another. You don't have to memorize the idiom; you just need to recognize that the construction in (C) makes it sound as though the warning system is incorrectly transporting the "moon rising" to a "missile attack," which is utter nonsense.

I hope that helps!

Thank you GMATNinja. That helped. Although I do feel uneasy since in some distant part of my memory I think that there were times that it's ok to use that gerund as a noun. How about a sentence like this?

"Him talking to me makes me feel sick"
What about "Jim talking to me makes me feel sick"? Would it be fine or should it have been "Jim's talking to me makes me feel sick?"

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shabuzen102 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

Let's start with this simple example:

• "Bob's fur is brown." - "fur" is a noun, so we use the possessive "Bob's" to qualify that noun

Which is correct? Well, in this case, "barking" is acting like a noun (it's a gerund, if you like the jargon). Just as we need the possessive form when we write, "Bob's fur," we need a possessive to qualify "barking". So the first option is incorrect. "Moon rising" in (C) has the same problem.

And if you're looking for another reason to give (C) the boot, it uses an illogical idiom: "A newly installed radar warning system mistook the moon rising to a massive missile attack..." I can mistake one item for another, but I can't mistake one item to another. You don't have to memorize the idiom; you just need to recognize that the construction in (C) makes it sound as though the warning system is incorrectly transporting the "moon rising" to a "missile attack," which is utter nonsense.

I hope that helps!

Thank you GMATNinja. That helped. Although I do feel uneasy since in some distant part of my memory I think that there were times that it's ok to use that gerund as a noun. How about a sentence like this?

What about "Jim talking to me makes me feel sick"? Would it be fine or should it have been "Jim's talking to me makes me feel sick?"

Thanks!

"Him talking to me makes me feel sick" - Here, "talking" is a gerund and acts like a noun! Think of a stripped down version of this sentence: "Talking makes me sick." The subject is "talking" (a noun) and the main verb is "makes".

Back to your example: whose talking makes me feel sick? HIS talking. Just as we needed the possessive form when we wrote, "Bob's fur" above, we need a possessive to qualify "talking".

You wouldn't say, "Bob fur is brown." For the same reason, "Jim talking..." or "him talking..." would be incorrect in your examples.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
how to distinguish in meaning between these two,
(A) rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets(looking soviets attack with the missile)

(B) rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack(here Massive Soviet Missile Attack...looking like some big soviets(may be name of missile or country missile attack.) or size of soviets.
its like (massive asteriod moving toward earth.)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [7]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anand0811 wrote:
how to distinguish in meaning between these two,
(A) rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets(looking soviets attack with the missile)

(B) rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack(here Massive Soviet Missile Attack...looking like some big soviets(may be name of missile or country missile attack.) or size of soviets.
its like (massive asteriod moving toward earth.)

Consider two examples:

1) Tim, who has begun to experiment with psychedelics when his kids are asleep, saw the rising of the moon as a missile attack by the Soviets.

Here, poor drug-addled Tim seems to believe that the Soviets are using the moon to attack America! (This is particularly remarkable considering the Soviet Union's current position in the geopolitical order.)

2) Tim, who has begun to experiment with psychedelics when his kids are asleep, mistook the rising of the moon for a missile attack by the Soviets.

Now Tim doesn't believe that the Soviets are using the moon to attack America. Rather, when he saw the moon rising, he mistakenly thought he was witnessing a Soviet weapon, perhaps a spherical, pock-marked nuclear warhead that arguably resembles cheese.

While Tim is not exactly dazzling us with his observational acuity here, the second scenario seems more plausible than the first one. :)

I hope that helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Amit05 wrote:
In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets.

(C) moon rising to a massive missile attack by the Soviets

(D) moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile attack

(E) rise of the moon as a massive Soviet missile attack

Choice A: This answer choice employs the unidiomatic phrase "mistook the rising of the moon as"; the correct form of this phrase is "mistook the rising of the moon for". To simplify further, the correct form of this idiom is "mistake/mistook X for Y". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice is perfectly idiomatic and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice C: This answer choice also makes the mistake of not utilizing the correct idiom form "mistake/mistook X for Y". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect

Choice D: This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence by employing the phrase "moon as it was rising"; the intended meaning of the sentence is that the radar mistook the moon's action of rising for a missile attack, not that the radar mistook the moon itself for the attack. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice repeats the error found in Option A. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope that helps!

Thanks!

"Him talking to me makes me feel sick" - Here, "talking" is a gerund and acts like a noun! Think of a stripped down version of this sentence: "Talking makes me sick." The subject is "talking" (a noun) and the main verb is "makes".

Back to your example: whose talking makes me feel sick? HIS talking. Just as we needed the possessive form when we wrote, "Bob's fur" above, we need a possessive to qualify "talking".

You wouldn't say, "Bob fur is brown." For the same reason, "Jim talking..." or "him talking..." would be incorrect in your examples.

I hope that helps!

Dear GMATNinja,

I've just learned about appositive modifier and the construction noun + noun modifier today. It led me to thinking, how about "him talking" is a noun + noun modifier? What about this sentence: "I can't imagine him talking to me" then "him" is a noun, and "talking to me" is a Verb-ing modifier?

"One automobile manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles by 25 percent over the next five years, an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades."

"an increase + amounting" to can be similar to "him + talking to me", no?

Another example would be "The list containing only two sets of names surprises me." In this sentence, "containing only two sets of names" is a modifier that modifies "the list"

I guess my question is then, how is that sentence different from "Bob barking is keeping me awake." Can "barking" be a modifier that modifies "Bob"?

Thank you! I appreciate your patience!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [5]

Send PM
Kudos