It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 81

Reviews Badge
Re: In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 23:59
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion:
according to argument we could reduce the number of accidents by increasing the use of 3 trailer trucks and reducing the use 1 and 2 trailers truck .

If we could prove that we can reduce the number of accidents by method other than mentioned in the conclusion, Then that would be the answer choice.

Choice B correctly states that we can reduce the number of accidents by hiring experienced drivers for 1 and 2 trailers truck also

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 81

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

Re: In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2015, 07:43
Can you change the OA to A as per the GMAT Prep Application.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 06:16
Correct B
Type: weaken

Conclusion: increase the use of triple truck => reduce death

Assumption: increase triple truck is the only cause.

Break the assumption: there are other cause that could reduce death. namely: driving experience of the driver is the main cause.

Hence choice B is the correct one

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 29

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 01:17
so far only the best, most experienced drivers for Patorian trucking companies have been driving triple trailer trucks.

The answer is B. the argument fosters a link between the accident rate and the skills of a driver. Incresing the number of large trucks will decrease the number of "best drivers" carrying it to depletion. Employing ordinary drivers might rise the accident rate, regardless of the truck type.

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 05:29
Zarrolou wrote:
nitin6305 wrote:
This question appeared as the first question Verbal section of my GMAT Prep Test 1 , and I got it wrong. Option B looked good to me but option E appealed more.
Can somebody, experts, please explain why option E is incorrect? If the payload of the largest trucks is less , doesn't it mean that they are less prone to accidents than smaller trucks which in addition to being small are carrying more loads?

To answer your question:
No. The text does not say anything like that, yours is an additional assumption.

We want to weaken that "one way for partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to reduce shippers to increase their use of triple trucks."

E talks about the maximum payload
E. In patoria, the maximum legal payload of a trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks.
that is nowhere mentioned in the passage, so we cannot infer that is connected somehow to the incidents.

B on the other hand says that
B. so far only the best, most experienced drivers for Patorian trucking companies have been driving triple trailer trucks.
so the data on which the conclusion is based ("The very largest trucks those with three trailers had less than a third of the accident rate of single and double trailer trucks.") is not reliable, so the whole argument is weakened.

Hope it's clear

Hi Zarrolou

I have a doubt here regarding option E
As it is stated that we need to increase Trucks with triple trailer in order to reduce accident rate

So as per my understanding E states that payload for triple trailer is less than single or double, now due to this reason transporter would not choose triple trailer in comparison to others .Hence weakening the conclusion

Kindly correct me if wrong

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 05:29
I have a doubt here regarding option E
As it is stated that we need to increase Trucks with triple trailer in order to reduce accident rate

So as per my understanding E states that payload for triple trailer is less than single or double, now due to this reason transporter would not choose triple trailer in comparison to others .Hence weakening the conclusion

Kindly correct me if wrong

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 00:20
zz0vlb wrote:
Can someone explain why not E ?

It's because there is nowhere mentioned in the passage that relates the weight of payload to accidents.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 06:35
There is a variation to this question. saw it posted by GWD

In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percent of miles driven on Partoria’s roads but are involved in 12 percent of all highway fatalities. The very largest trucks—those with three trailers—had less than a third of the accident rate of single-and double-trailer trucks. Clearly, therefore, one way for Partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to require shippers to increase their use of triple-trailer trucks.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. Partorian trucking companies have so far used triple-trailer trucks on lightly traveled sections of major highways only.
B. No matter what changes Partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep some smaller roads off-limits to all large trucks.
C. Very few fatal collisions involving trucks in Partoria are collisions between two trucks.
D. In Partoria, the safety record of the trucking industry as a whole has improved slightly over the past ten years.
E. In Partoria, the maximum legal payload of a triple-trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single-trailer trucks

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 16:52
B
Three-trailer trucks are driven by the most experienced drivers. If use of three-trailer trucks is required, that would mean less-experienced drivers on the roads, therefore more accidents, which is what Partoria is trying to reduce.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 16:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 04:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 08:37
Hi,

E. In patoria, the maximum legal payload of a trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single trailer trucks.
Which trailer truck we are referring to in the option E?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Top Contributor
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 17:03
Top Contributor
let us break the argument down -

Premise
Large trucks - 6% of the miles driven BUT 12% of fatalities. (Seems to imply that trucks are more dangerous than other types of vehicles).
three trailer trucks have 1/3rd fatality rate of other large trucks

Conclusion
Use triple trailer trucks --> Reduce accidents

We have been asked to weaken the conclusion, i.e. to point out that this proposal may not lead to the conclusion - Reduce accidents.

A - Incorrect.
The objective here is to reduce fatalities caused by other large trucks by replacing them with triple trailer trucks. Since those roads are anyways not accessible to other large trucks also, this point is irrelevant.
If the accident rates on other roads are reduced, that would lead us to the conclusion - Reduce accidents.

"some smaller roads off limits" - the word "some" is vague. What if only 0.1% of the roads are off limits? Then this issue has no statistical significance on the argument.

B - correct answer.
this weakens the conclusion by giving an Alternate Cause for the premise that -
triple trailer trucks are safe --> hence, 1//3rd accident rate

this gives us reason to believe that triple trailer trucks themselves may not be safe, but the lower fatality rate is due to better drivers.
If this is the case, we can say that using more of triple trailer trucks will NOT necessarily reduce fatalities on the road.

C - incorrect.
Still, this answer option does not change the fact that 12% of fatalities are from trucks. Those accidents may be between trucks and other vehicles then (since the truck to truck number is low)

D - Incorrect.
Does not mean that the conclusion -
"One way to reduce accidents is to use triple trailer trucks" is untrue.

E - Incorrect.
it should read "maximum legal payload of triple trailer trucks"

We have no idea how "legal payload" relates to "accident rates" or whether these limits are imposed or followed.
Hence, irrelevant.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Account Management (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 22:14
sudeep wrote:
RisingForceX wrote:
sudeep wrote:
B only is relevant.

----
(1:10)

Thanks for quick response, sudeep. I strongly agree with you that only (B) is relevant to the argument. However, I don't feel that this option weaken the argument obviously. So, would you please give me more explanations?

My reasoning:

Trailers types :

1 trailer
2 trailer
(largest) 3 trailer - fewer accidents than others

What could be the reason - largest are better option for transportation, the drivers that drive largest trucks are better(actually best among the drivers), or they drive on the routes which are less vulnerable to accidents. There could be more reasons but I just picked 3 and the last one, referring to route, is also not relevant as it is neither discussed in the passage nor given as an option.

Passage picked the first reason. How can it be weakened? Only if we can prove that other reason was there and not the one picked.

So, B points to the second reason.

Sudeep dont you think option B is instead strengthening the argument?
The argument tells largest trucks must be used more to reduce accidents but this needs to be weakened. However, option B states that largest trucks have the best drivers so i feel this statement strengthens the argument instead. Please tell me where am i going wrong?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 07:02
In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percent of miles driven on Partoria's roads but are involved in 12 percent of all highway fatalities. The very largest trucks — those with three trailers — had less than a third of the accident rate of single- and double-trailer trucks. Clearly, therefore, one way for Partoria to reduce highway deaths would be to require shippers to increase their use of triple-trailer trucks.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Partorian trucking companies have so far used triple-trail truckers on lightly traveled sections of major highways only.

(B) No matter what changes Partoria makes in the regulation of trucking, it will have to keep smaller roads off-limits to all large trucks.

(C) Very few fatal collisions involving trucks in Partoria are collisions between two trucks.

(D) In Partoria, the safety record of the trucking industry as a whole has improved slightly over the past ten years.

(E) In Partoria, the maximum legal payload of a triple-trailer truck is less than three times the maximum legal payload of the largest of the single-trailer trucks.

Last edited by broall on 25 Sep 2017, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting question!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 07:13
E for me..As it means less payload..means more tripler trailer trucks requiref..so may not reduce no. Of highway deaths

Sent from my SM-A510F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

Re: In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percen   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 07:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

In the nation of Partoria, large trucks currently account for 6 percen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap