It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 324

Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Re: In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 06:37
droopy57 wrote:
In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and other health care workers will increase significantly worldwide. Even so, the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase. This is due, at least partly, to the fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

The argument above depends logically upon which of the following assumptions?

(A) The increase in the number of health care workers will be responsible for the increase in the average life span
(B) The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will increase more than that of other health care workers
(C)
Quote:
As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people
(D) Geriatrics, a branch of medicine focusing on the health problems of older people, is the most expensive element of American health care.
(E) Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world.

As Lsat cr bible points out flaws in the arguments , the inherent flaa in this question is
APPEAL TO AUTHORITY . Just because its a question from Kaplan it
has to be right
Let's solve this analytically
opton c
As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people

Now this justifies that median age of the world population will increase significantly
Basic definition of MEDIAN , the median is the middle value
Let me write down an easy example
LET OLD PEOPLE =O
YOUNG PEOPLE =Y

earlier let's say there were 13 old 12 young people---------- CASE 1
therefore Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y0,.......( O.....12 times)
Now with imrpoved medical conditions OLD people receive better healthcare (( here the argument makes another
assumption that better healthcare leads to low death rates )) another assumption can be that in comparison to increased
life span of old people the the lifespan of young one has become contant and new births are low now . Let me
show you how
Now total population is 40 (( I am just trying to prove option c right))
Assuming that in the CASE 1 All old people are living and all young people have become old
now there are 25 old and 15 young
therefore YYYYYYYYY.........15 TIMES, 000000000000,...median (0),.......25 times.
And how all this on earth concerns to increased compensations of medical proffesionals , I am still not able to connect.
The argument must be making one more assumption that all of the people entering the medical field both young and old are skilled to take care of old and increase their lifespan ((((( again one more assumption the technology then and now is same and only expertise has risen
According to me to make option c right i have made all these extra assumptions , and clearly this question fulfills the needs of an assumption question,
I chose option c on related facts
egmat mikemcgarry GMATNinja please check my reasoning
Thank you !!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 324

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 143

CAT Tests
Re: In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 08:50
In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and other health care workers will increase significantly worldwide. Even so, the average compensation received by such professional will not decline but rather is likely to increase. This is due, at least partly, to the fact that the median age of the world’s population will increase steadily in this same period of time.

The argument above depends logically upon which of the following assumptions?

(A) The increase in the number of health care workers will be responsible for the increase in the average life span -We are not interested in the increase in life span
(B) The compensation of doctors and physical therapists who treat the elderly will increase more than that of other health care workers -We are interested in average increase
(C) As a group, older people receive more attention from health care workers than do younger people. -Correct. If the age will increase and the care for elderly will also increase then we can say that the compensation will also increase
(D) Geriatrics, a branch of medicine focusing on the health problems of older people, is the most expensive element of American health care. -Out of scope
(E) Increase in the median age of the population will occur in all regions of the world. -Okay, but it doesn't relate to the health issues

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 143

Re: In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2017, 08:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 102 posts ] 

In the next four years, the number of doctors, nurses, and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap