GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 17:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 08:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:45) correct 65% (01:50) wrong based on 293 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conference held in Lisbon, a leading cellular service provider claimed that it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies.

A. it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies
B. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it will regain much of its recently weakened popularity
C. it is regaining much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies
D. much of their recently weakened popularity had been regained by the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies
E. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.23
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 07:11
reto would you explain the answer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 07:50
sannidhya wrote:
reto would you explain the answer?

Hi sannidhya,

I think its best if Reto explained it but still I think this is the reason:

"as well as"is a phrase connector different from "and".. that means that when you have two subjects connected by "as well as" we consider them as one.

In option A the words are followed by "strategies".. showing that they had two different things.

Whereas in option E "and" suggests that there are two different approaches...and hence "strategies" there would be appropriate.

It would be best if Reto put the official explanation though.

Regards,
Dom.
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 09:33
sannidhya wrote:
My take is A. :roll:

Here we go sannidhya:

A. it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies >>> "as well as" is always considered wordy/redundant. However this AC is gramatically correct but not the most concise. There is a better one...
B. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it will regain much of its recently weakened popularity >>> The sentence starts in the simple past tense. IMO it makes no sense to change to the future tense.
C. it is regaining much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies >>> Same explanaition as for B. But here you have a present progressive tense which is wrong.
D. much of their recently weakened popularity had been regained by the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies >>> Uses the plural pronoun "their" which is wrong because it does not agree with service provider. Additionally it changes the tense.
E. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity >>>
This answer choice corrects the original redundancy mistake by replacing as well as with and. This question also uses Reported Speech with a reporting verb is in the Past tense (claimed). In such a case, the following conjugated verb should also be in the Past, as indeed it is (had).

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 09:52
Hi Reto,

I am unable to figure out how "as well as" is redundant. Can you please help with that..

I would like to share this link for my explanation.. Point 3 in the below link:
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/sv_agr.htm

Regards,
Dom.
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 10:02
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Reto,

I am unable to figure out how "as well as" is redundant. Can you please help with that..

Regards,
Dom.

Its unnecessarily longer than the word "and" and therefore redundant :) Just keep this in mind, it's a free lunch when you come across such questions.

Another example:
Redundant: An excellent score in the quantitative as well as the verbal section of the GMAT is required for acceptance into an Ivy League school.
Concise: An excellent score in the quantitative and the verbal section of the GMAT is required for acceptance into an Ivy League school.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.23
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 10:32
reto wrote:
sannidhya wrote:

Here we go sannidhya:

A. it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies >>> "as well as" is always considered wordy/redundant. However this AC is gramatically correct but not the most concise. There is a better one...
B. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it will regain much of its recently weakened popularity >>> The sentence starts in the simple past tense. IMO it makes no sense to change to the future tense.
C. it is regaining much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies >>> Same explanaition as for B. But here you have a present progressive tense which is wrong.
D. much of their recently weakened popularity had been regained by the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies >>> Uses the plural pronoun "their" which is wrong because it does not agree with service provider. Additionally it changes the tense.
E. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity >>>
This answer choice corrects the original redundancy mistake by replacing as well as with and. This question also uses Reported Speech with a reporting verb is in the Past tense (claimed). In such a case, the following conjugated verb should also be in the Past, as indeed it is (had).

Thanks reto for the explanation.
Could you also explain the role of comma in E.
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 12:34
sannidhya wrote:
reto wrote:
sannidhya wrote:

Here we go sannidhya:

It is just used here to set apart the non-essential information. You can read AC a without the information between the commas and it still sounds perfect. Maybe this helps:
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/20 ... n-pointers

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 23:35
I crossed off E purely because, the 'had' part of the sentence is associated with the 'regained much of its recently weakened popularity'.

I dont understand. We use the past perfect to describe the action that happened first. Does it mean 'popularity was gained before the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies.

Please help me with this past perfect tense.

reto wrote:
In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conference held in Lisbon, a leading cellular service provider claimed that it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies.

A. it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies
B. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it will regain much of its recently weakened popularity
C. it is regaining much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies
D. much of their recently weakened popularity had been regained by the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies
E. with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies, it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity

GMAT ToolKit User
In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 03:22
shriramvelamuri wrote:
I crossed off E purely because, the 'had' part of the sentence is associated with the 'regained much of its recently weakened popularity'.

I dont understand. We use the past perfect to describe the action that happened first. Does it mean 'popularity was gained before the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies.

Please help me with this past perfect tense.

reto wrote:

Dear shriramvelamuri

Not in that way... Think of it logically:

At the time the cellular service provider could claim that it had regained much of its weakened popularity WITH the implementation bla bla... the PROCESS of regaining MUST have already been completed before this statement was made.

On a time line:

2 months ago: "...the company had regained much of its weakened popularity with the implementation...bla bla" > happend before they could claim it, past perfect
1 month ago: "the company claimed that it was sucessful in doing so at the int. tele. conf. in Lisbon" > happend after the sucessful regaining. simple past

Isn't it clear?

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 14:29
reto wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Reto,

Regards,
Dom.

Its unnecessarily longer than the word "and" and therefore redundant :) Just keep this in mind, it's a free lunch when you come across such questions.

Another example:
Redundant: An excellent score in the quantitative as well as the verbal section of the GMAT is required for acceptance into an Ivy League school.
Concise: An excellent score in the quantitative and the verbal section of the GMAT is required for acceptance into an Ivy League school.

Hey Reto,
I also think that the original sentence suggested that the strategies were both innovative and aggressive. Whereas E, suggests that some strategies were innovative and some were aggressive, and the combination of both helped them.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 00:03
reto wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Reto,

Regards,
Dom.

Another example:

Hi reto, Although as well as is a bit stretched compared to and in the case of option A the 'it' follows immediately after the cellular company and creats a clear reference...where as in option E the 'it' pushed farther away and separated by a coma, creating a doubt as to what it referes to cellular company or the conference.

is the it clearly referering to only the celular company in E?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 02:19
reto wrote:
sannidhya wrote:

It is just used here to set apart the non-essential information. You can read AC a without the information between the commas and it still sounds perfect. Maybe this helps:

hi reto, sannidhya,
1) the comma in E is in noway providing nonessential info..
if you omit the second part after 'comma' you will have a dangling sentence...
a leading cellular service provider claimed that with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies.
does it make sense NO...
the portion before comma is modifying the second half. comma does not necessarly provide non essential info. modifiers etc also use comma...

2) the second point that has been discussed is about 'as well as' and 'and'..
there is no redundancy in 'as well as'.. both 'as well as' and 'and' have their own roles and usage..
and is used to join two portion which have same weightage, whereas by using 'as well as', we lay more emphasis on the first portion.
'and' joining two things most of the time makes the verb plural, whereas as well as takes the verb from the first noun etc before as well as..
so please look in these issues before you eliminate any choice..
for example:- jack, as well as shyam, is going to the market.. you cant write this as jack and shyam is going to..
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 09:43
chetan2u wrote:
reto wrote:
sannidhya wrote:

hi reto, sannidhya,
1) the comma in E is in noway providing nonessential info..
if you omit the second part after 'comma' you will have a dangling sentence...
a leading cellular service provider claimed that with the implementation of innovative and aggressive marketing strategies.
does it make sense NO...
the portion before comma is modifying the second half. comma does not necessarly provide non essential info. modifiers etc also use comma...

2) the second point that has been discussed is about 'as well as' and 'and'..
there is no redundancy in 'as well as'.. both 'as well as' and 'and' have their own roles and usage..
and is used to join two portion which have same weightage, whereas by using 'as well as', we lay more emphasis on the first portion.
'and' joining two things most of the time makes the verb plural, whereas as well as takes the verb from the first noun etc before as well as..
so please look in these issues before you eliminate any choice..
for example:- jack, as well as shyam, is going to the market.. you cant write this as jack and shyam is going to..

Hi chetan2u
Hello sannidhya

IMO, regarding the nonessential information and essential information:

If you read the sentence without the information between the commas, the sentence looks like this:

In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conference held in Lisbon, a leading cellular service provider claimed that it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity

Am I missing something?

Point 2: The Economist teaches that "as well as" is redundant in the GMAT. I can not say more than that and for me it helped POE answer choices so far.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 10:32
reto wrote:

Hi chetan2u
Hello sannidhya

IMO, regarding the nonessential information and essential information:

If you read the sentence without the information between the commas, the sentence looks like this:

In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conference held in Lisbon, a leading cellular service provider claimed that it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity

Am I missing something?

Point 2: The Economist teaches that "as well as" is redundant in the GMAT. I can not say more than that and for me it helped POE answer choices so far.

Hi,
I would not like to argue on the stuff any further but I would advise not to take wrong lessons home and in turn impart wrong knowledge further. Here , if i donot give my two bits, there could be someone who would eliminate a correct choice just because it had 'as well as'..

1) it is good that you refer to the teaching of "the economist", but dont take them as gospel truth and it would be better if you look into OG,the bible of GMAT.
I will just give one example but there are various places in underlined/nonunderlined portion in OG 15, where 'as well as ' has taken precedence over 'and'. I am sure we should respect the official version more than any institute's teaching...
53. The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
(A) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a.. correct as per OG 15..
(B) a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
(C) a critique of all chemistry after Robert Boyle and envisioning as well
(D) critiquing all chemistry from Robert Boyle forward and also a vision of
(E) critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own envisioning of

2) Now about comma ..
a leading cellular service provider claimed that it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies.
In this example itself, i am sure you would be aware that "that" gives us the essential info.. and there is no comma between' that' and 'with the implementation of...'.
So how have you decided that this portion is non essential. I am not too sure here but i think we cannot take any half of the sentence' before' or 'after' comma as nonessential depending on our reading of sentence. i am yet to see a sentence which has the portion before comma as non essential. Again may be I am wrong?

I'll ofcourse go with the above two things and it's totally your choice how you would like to do these type of Q in future..

Regards Chetan
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 10:16
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
I would not like to argue on the stuff any further but I would advise not to take wrong lessons home and in turn impart wrong knowledge further. Here , if i donot give my two bits, there could be someone who would eliminate a correct choice just because it had 'as well as'..

1) it is good that you refer to the teaching of "the economist", but dont take them as gospel truth and it would be better if you look into OG,the bible of GMAT.
I will just give one example but there are various places in underlined/nonunderlined portion in OG 15, where 'as well as ' has taken precedence over 'and'. I am sure we should respect the official version more than any institute's teaching...
53. The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early experiments in his “Essay on Heat and Light,” a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.
(A) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a.. correct as per OG 15..
(B) a critique of all chemistry following Robert Boyle and also his envisioning of a
(E) critiquing all the chemistry done since Robert Boyle as well as his own envisioning of

2) Now about comma ..
a leading cellular service provider claimed that it had regained much of its recently weakened popularity with the implementation of innovative as well as aggressive marketing strategies.
In this example itself, i am sure you would be aware that "that" gives us the essential info.. and there is no comma between' that' and 'with the implementation of...'.
So how have you decided that this portion is non essential. I am not too sure here but i think we cannot take any half of the sentence' before' or 'after' comma as nonessential depending on our reading of sentence. i am yet to see a sentence which has the portion before comma as non essential. Again may be I am wrong?

I'll ofcourse go with the above two things and it's totally your choice how you would like to do these type of Q in future..

Regards Chetan

Thanks chetan2u. I would just like to add the so called "work order" for SC on GMAT (by Economist) which is paramount in understanding, that we can eliminate "as well as"only if.... there is a better sentence which is gramatically correct!

How do you guys work through the SC questions? That's how The Economist is proposing it:

1. Read the entire Sentence and identify 1-2 mistakes in it
2. PoE all AC with the same mistake
3. If youre left with more than 1 choice, eliminate all grammatically incorrect/illogical answers
4. If youre left with more than 1 choice, eliminate all stylistically flawed answer choices >>> and here it come's if youre at step 4, you can eliminate the sentence with "as well as" e.g. if you have two choices and both sound correct
5. Eliminate those AC with change in meaning

Maybe it's more clear now?

The comma stuff... I just trust my feelings with those commas.

Let's see your question and go through step by step:

1. Step 1 = obviously no errors to be found
2. Step 2 = skip it
3. Step 3 = PoE C, D, E for lack of parallelism and non idiomatic modifier in AC E
4. Step 3 = PoE answer Choice B for being illogical "critique of all chemistry following Rober Boyle and...", maybe also for change in meaning, if it was for meaning, then it would be subordinate and last one for PoE (Step 5)

The nineteenth-century chemist Humphry Davy presented the results of his early experiments in his "Essay on Heat and Light", a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a new chemistry that Davy hoped to found.

(A) a critique of all chemistry since Robert Boyle as well as a vision of a

Don't ask me about the commas, I have to admit, I trust my feelings when it comes to comas :oops:

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 02:30
Hi Reto,
just few quotes from your previous posts on redundancy of "as well as" as per the Economist..
Quote:
Here we go sannidhya:

Quote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Reto,

Regards,
Dom.

Quote:

and now this ..
Quote:
Thanks chetan2u. I would just like to add the so called "work order" for SC on GMAT (by Economist) which is paramount in understanding, that we can eliminate "as well as"only if.... there is a better sentence which is gramatically correct!

Its actually not clear from top what does Economist teach on "as well as'..

Lets leave Economist apart..
the OG does not say "as well as' is redundant and can be used where it conveys the meaning it is supposed to be..
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 10:32
reto wrote:

Thanks Reto for posting such questions, it's always fun to solve these quiet difficult questions.
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Booth '21 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 13:09
chetan2u wrote:
Hi Reto,
just few quotes from your previous posts on redundancy of "as well as" as per the Economist..
Quote:
Here we go sannidhya:

Quote:
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Reto,

Regards,
Dom.

Quote:

and now this ..
Quote:

Its actually not clear from top what does Economist teach on "as well as'..

Lets leave Economist apart..
the OG does not say "as well as' is redundant and can be used where it conveys the meaning it is supposed to be..

So what would be the correct answer here?
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 05:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 05:48

In the opening speech at an international telecommunications conferenc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics