It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past decade, two Motorlux models

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
In the past decade, two Motorlux models [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 10:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:50) correct 38% (02:09) wrong based on 453 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the past decade, two Motorlux models, the T-300, a sports car, and the AG-75, a sports utility vehicle, have been manufactured with the same timing chain, which controls the timing of the engines valves: when the engine is running at a higher RPM, there is more strain on the timing belt. Recent evidence indicates that this particular brand of timing chain has a usable life of about 135,000 miles, somewhat less the 200,000 miles life typical of standard timing chains. Although the same model of timing belt has been used for both models of cars, the incidence of timing chain failure is considerably higher in the AG-75 than in the T-300. This is mostly likely because ______________________

Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the argument?

A) where legal, drivers of the T-300 have been known to drive it at speeds in excessive of 100 mph; whereas the AG-75 is rarely driven that fast.
B) it is common for sports utility vehicles to tow heavy objects, such as motor boats; whereas sport cars almost never tow anything.
C) sports cars typically drive on relatively flat paved surfaces only, whereas sports utility vehicles often are driven on rough off-road surfaces.
D) timing chains are automatically replaced when the entire transmission systems is repaired or replaced, and, unlike sports utility vehicles, sport cars such as the T-300 tend to experience transmission systems problems before the 100,000 mile mark.
E) the timing chains typically used in most other models of sports cars on the market are of higher quality than the timing chains typically used in most other models of sports utility vehicles on the market.

Hi mikemcgarry,
Could you please help me in understanding that why are we bringing in outside information for getting the OA ?

Thanks,
Lucky
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks,
Lucky

Chat Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the past decade, two Motorlux models [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 11:48
There are a lot of such official questions that bring outside information. As you can notice, the questions ask 'if, true'. That is why it is reasonable to expect outside information.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 19:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a fill in the blank question which is asking for additional premise to reason the failure incidents. Additional premise can well be an outside
information. If the question were asking about a conclusion then outside information could have been an doubtful option.

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 21:44
aniteshgmat1101 wrote:
This is a fill in the blank question which is asking for additional premise to reason the failure incidents. Additional premise can well be an outside
information. If the question were asking about a conclusion then outside information could have been an doubtful option.

yups , agree.

now ,after reading through CR Books, i do understand various question types and what is acceptable for one type and not for the other .
what should i do for improving my speed though ?
do volumes of questions ? i start exhausting if i do it in bulk .

Thanks,
Lucky

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 07:47
Hi!

Can you guys please explain why it's D and not B?

Cheers,

P
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 08:19
PaulFrederick wrote:
Hi!

Can you guys please explain why it's D and not B?

Cheers,

P

note this a paradox category of critical reasoning question .

Facts :
High speed results in more strain at chain .
both SUV and Racing car has the same chain .
chain has a life of 135000 miles.
Paradox:
Both vehicles are using the same chain but the one which is driven at slow speed have more cases of chain failure.

Option : B further strengthens the paradox by saying that SUV has extra weight apart from its own weight so it will run even slower than the normal SUV, and we are given that high speed results in chain failure.

Option D: Racing car's goes on repair every 10000 miles and it's chain is replaced in every repair , i.e. the chain is replaced even before it is exhausted completely. this explains why we have fewer cases of chain failure in racing cars .

hope it helps!

thanks

Thanks,
Lucky

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 09:14
Can someone please help me understand why option D is better than option B ?

IMO , both the options explain the paradox...

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 05:44
Lucky2783 wrote:
timing of the engines valves: when the engine is running at a higher RPM, there is more strain on the timing belt. Recent evidence indicates that this particular brand of timing chain has a usable life of about 135,000 miles, somewhat less the 200,000 miles life typical of standard timing chains.

Note that the Limiting Factor given in the Stimulus is the Distance - 135,000 miles and not the Speed or Strain. Therefore, every option talking about speed or strain is a trap.

A) where legal, drivers of the T-300 have been known to drive it at speeds in excessive of 100 mph; whereas the AG-75 is rarely driven that fast.
Speed is not given as the Limiting Factor for life of Chain.

B) it is common for sports utility vehicles to tow heavy objects, such as motor boats; whereas sport cars almost never tow anything.
You may argue that towing heavy objects exerts a strain on the chain but the chains break after 135,000 miles and no data about strain is given.

C) sports cars typically drive on relatively flat paved surfaces only, whereas sports utility vehicles often are driven on rough off-road surfaces.
Surface may lead to higher strain or higher speed both of which are out of scope for the aforementioned reasons.

D) timing chains are automatically replaced when the entire transmission systems is repaired or replaced, and, unlike sports utility vehicles, sport cars such as the T-300 tend to experience transmission systems problems before the 100,000 mile mark.
This option Clearly says that in T-300 the chains are generally replaced before 100,000 mile mark. Therefore, incidences of them failing in T-300 are less than those in AG-75.

E) the timing chains typically used in most other models of sports cars on the market are of higher quality than the timing chains typically used in most other models of sports utility vehicles on the market.
Out of Scope. Comparison is between AG-75 & T-300 only.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 09:55
Lucky2783 wrote:
In the past decade, two Motorlux models, the T-300, a sports car, and the AG-75, a sports utility vehicle, have been manufactured with the same timing chain, which controls the timing of the engine's valves: when the engine is running at a higher RPM, there is more strain on the timing belt. Recent evidence indicates that this particular brand of timing chain has a usable life of about 135,000 miles, somewhat less the 200,000 miles life typical of standard timing chains. Although the same model of timing belt has been used for both models of cars, the incidence of timing chain failure is considerably higher in the AG-75 than in the T-300. This is mostly likely because ______________________

Similarity in T-300 and the AG-75 : Manufactured with the same timing chain which controls the timing of the engine's valves
Higher RPM = More strain on the timing belt
The timing chain (Used in the two Motorlux models ) has a usable life of about 135,000 miles which is less the 200,000 miles life typical of standard timing chains.
The incidence of timing chain failure is considerably higher in the AG-75 than in the T-300.

There must be a reason for the frequent failure of timing chain of AG-75 as compared to the timing chain of T-300 , so find an option which brings out the difference / reason.

(A) If speed is a factor then there must have been frequent failure of T-300 than AG-75 ( converse of what has been presented in the conclusion )
(B) Out of scope , fails to bring out the difference in usage of timing chains of T-300 & AG-75

(C) Out of scope , Talks about sports cars Vs sports utility vehicles , where Sports cars are out of Scope in the current context

(D) BEST , If preventive maintenance is carried out in T-300 then cases of chain failures will be less, if same preventive maintenance is not carried out in AG-75 then comparatively there will be frequent failures.

(E) Out of scope compares timing chains of Motorlux models with other models in the market...

Hence IMHO clearly with (D)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.45
WE: Research (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 02:12
Good question ! I was confused between B,C and D. Then noticed that B and C bring in outside information that, however, is not supported by argument.
Chat Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 06:05
D is the best fit. Gives a reason as to why other model experiences frequent trouble.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 11:31
Lucky2783 wrote:
In the past decade, two Motorlux models, the T-300, a sports car, and the AG-75, a sports utility vehicle, have been manufactured with the same timing chain, which controls the timing of the engines valves: when the engine is running at a higher RPM, there is more strain on the timing belt. Recent evidence indicates that this particular brand of timing chain has a usable life of about 135,000 miles, somewhat less the 200,000 miles life typical of standard timing chains. Although the same model of timing belt has been used for both models of cars, the incidence of timing chain failure is considerably higher in the AG-75 than in the T-300. This is mostly likely because ______________________

Hi mikemcgarry,
Could you please help me in understanding that why are we bringing in outside information for getting the OA ?

Thanks,
Lucky

There is no outside knowledge in this question. Using POE, you still get the answer. The traditional method still helps you to find the strengthener. The question type is a mix (explanation, strengthen) There are many details, but too few transition words. Nevertheless, B,C,E are out of scope for sure.
Re: In the past decade, two Motorlux models   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2018, 11:31

In the past decade, two Motorlux models

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap