It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 12:49
KyleWiddison wrote:
Choice D is the correct answer because you want to find some information that weakens the argument. It's a classic GMAT-like argument that attempts to compare raw numbers when rates really should be compared. This issue is highlighted by choice D which states that the number of sleds (and by extension sledders) has grown significantly with the introduction of the cheaper plastic sled. This increase in sleds could lead to a higher NUMBER of accidents with a lower RATE of accidents overall, thus weakening the conclusion.

You have a valid point about the sleds not necessarily equating directly with sledders, but remember that with CR you are choosing the best answer available. Choice C doesn't provide any differentiation between now and 15 years ago. If it had (by mentioning that protective gear was used heavily 15 years ago but not anymore) then C would be a strong answer choice.

KW

Thanks for the explanation. Hope I would not face such choices on the real day :)

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 367

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 00:50
KyleWiddison wrote:
Choice D is the correct answer because you want to find some information that weakens the argument. It's a classic GMAT-like argument that attempts to compare raw numbers when rates really should be compared. This issue is highlighted by choice D which states that the number of sleds (and by extension sledders) has grown significantly with the introduction of the cheaper plastic sled. This increase in sleds could lead to a higher NUMBER of accidents with a lower RATE of accidents overall, thus weakening the conclusion.

You have a valid point about the sleds not necessarily equating directly with sledders, but remember that with CR you are choosing the best answer available. Choice C doesn't provide any differentiation between now and 15 years ago. If it had (by mentioning that protective gear was used heavily 15 years ago but not anymore) then C would be a strong answer choice.

KW

KyleWiddison I know E cannnot be the answer because it gives no information about Plastics sleds, but what if E had (by mentioning that today Plastics sleds carry 4 riders and traditional wooden carry 2 riders), would this be the possible contender.
My reasoning to this is "number of injuries more not because number of acc but because carry more slders". PLease share your thoughts on this.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 367

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 846 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The real issue with E isn't so much that is doesn't compare wooden vs. plastic sleds but rather the issue is the unnecessary information on injuries per crash. Look at the wording of the argument. We are comparing the gross number of injuries attributed to plastic or wooden sleds, not injuries per sled. Whether a sled carries 1 or 100 riders is irrelevant because the data sums all the injuries related to sledding. If the argument had discussed injuries per crash and E discussed the comparison between wood and plastic then E would be in contention.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 846 [1], given: 5

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 20:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

6 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 377 [6], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer is C

EXPLAINATION:-
In weaken questions one must try to attack the conclusion of the argument. Because there is a logical error in the conclusion and by revealing the error, you can show that the conclusion is weak. A weak conclusion makes the entire argument invalid (if the argument is deductive) or uncogent (if the argument is inductive). Also remember in Weaken question, we can use New Information.

Lets try to do this here
The argument tells us that Plastic sleds have these qualities:- faster, bad handling (hard to steer), weak brakes (harder to slow).
"Plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow" ===> mentioned in passage
Now if something skids fast, cannot be stopped and cannot be handled, it will crash more frequently and more injuries will occur.

The argument also tells us that Plastic Sleds have been used for 10 years but the rate of accident was higher only last year.
Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular ===> mentioned in passage
The number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago. ===> mentioned in passage
Suddenly during last year the accident number has gone up? Why ? LET US INVESTIGATE.

A. A few children still use traditional wooden sleds.
This should actually cause less accident, since wooden sleds are safer. DISCARD OPTION A

B. Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.
Well, children must not be wearing protection for 10 years. Why accidents have gone up last year only. doesn't answer this question. DISCARD OPTION B

C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.
At first glance looks out of scope or irrelevant...BUT KEEP IT FOR LATER ANALYSIS

D. Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled.
So suddenly last year many trees, many rocks and many sleds appear? No indication about that DISCARD OPTION D

E. Because the traditional wooden sled can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.
This is reverse answer. More Wooden Sled = More injuries. So accidents should have been more 10 years ago when wooden sleds were used, not now. DISCARD OPTION E

What remains with us now is only option C which looked out of scope, or irrelevant
Now no matter, whether we like it or not it has to be the answer.

Lets Analyse it again
C. Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.

Wooden sled can only be used in good weather when snow is soft and fresh, when there is no storm, when there is no fog, when visibility is good etc etc. Also given they are safer.

Plastic sled can be used in much wider condition such as when there is snow storm, still snowing, when the snow is hard and can cause injury on impact etc etc.

So may be last year something happened that has not happened in a long time after the introduction of plastic sleds. Finally after 10 years, last year snow conditions were bad. Now if people used wooden sleds , they could not sled because their wooden sleds don't have the capability. So NO sleds = NO accidents.
But Plastic sleds can still sleds in such extreme conditions. So people being stupid, ignored the bad condition and went out and coupled with the fact that plastic sleds are injury prone, People got injured and injured again and injured again. Stupid People :)

AND WHY DOES THIS HAPPENED:- THE BLAME LIES ON PLASTIC SLEDS BECAUSE THEY CAN WORK IN A VARIETY OF WEATHER CONDITIONS (INCLUDING BAD CONDITIONS)

Thats what exactly option C says

CORRECT ANSWER C

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars. Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow. The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.

Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?
B. Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding.
D. Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled.
E. Because the traditional wooden sled can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 13 Jun 2016, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 377 [6], given: 36

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 02:36
anshunadir wrote:
The argument concludes that The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.

If we read the question stem closely, it asks which option undermines the force of evidence, that is which option attacks the reason provided in the argument for increase in injuries while using plastic sled. option C clearly provides an alternative reason.

OA to this question is C only :) I have checked in other threads as well.

yes, "while sleding" are KEY WORDS for which to choose C.

great explanation

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 14:18
C calls for the question that does really plastic sledges are more harmful.

Wooden sledges are used by less people than plastic ones due to its usage and hence accidents are more but not due to the quality or design of plastic sledge.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 14:34
I think B is the answer. since children wear less/no safety gear, so that is wy they are getting injured, not because of plastic sledges. I might be wrong in the reasoning

-S1D1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 77

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 23:07
Jp27 wrote:
(C) Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can.

If plastic sleds can be used in a wider variety of conditions than wooden sleds can, then plastic sleds can be used more frequently. It is possible that more frequent use, rather than the sleds themselves, has led to more accidents.
The absence of protective gear would affect accidents with both kinds of sleds. Therefore, B is not the appropriate answer.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3508 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 20:00
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button and post your queries – closing this request.

Kudos [?]: 3508 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 17:19
The above option provides the reason how the plastic sledges are different to those made of wood gives an alternate reason for the findings

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 19

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 08:56
Its a tough call between C & E.

I guess the catch lies in the line"most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars", meaning despite majority using wooden sleds the increase in number of accidents was attributed to plastic sleds. Despite being the minority if plastic sleds contribute more to the number of accident victims then to weaken the argument we need something positive to undermine the "dangerous" argument.

That's what I think.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 03:52
(A) A few children still use traditional wooden sleds. ( Wrong Answer : The argument is about an increase the sled related injuries.)

(B) Very few children wear any kind of protective gear, such as helmets, while sledding. ( Wrong : this is not affecting the argument in any manner.)

(C) Plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions than wooden sleds can. (Right Answer : Given the fact that plastic sleds can be used in a much wider variety of snow conditions the chances of injury gets increased alongwith the variety.)

(D) Most sledding injuries occur when a sled collides with a tree, a rock, or another sled. ( wrong Answer : This is not affecting the argument since this may happen to both plastic as well as wooden sled riders)

(E) Because the traditional wooden sleds can carry more than one rider, an accident involving a wooden sled can result in several children being injured.( wrong Answer : the argument’s focus is plastic sleds)

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V30
GPA: 3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 08:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
According to me, Right answer has to be option (b). Because, Plastic sleds are not responsible for injuries. Children are not taking precaution, That's why, Injuries are there.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2917 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 08:42
Top Contributor
thedubey wrote:
According to me, Right answer has to be option (b). Because, Plastic sleds are not responsible for injuries. Children are not taking precaution, That's why, Injuries are there.

Hi,

Here is my understanding :
    Children may not careful at using wooden sleds or plastic sleds all over the time,but it does not affect the argument.

Premise: As plastic sleds became popular ,the number of children injured was much higher last winter than it was 10 years ago when wooden sleds were popular

Conclusion: plastic sleds are more dangerous

Answer choice C correctly weakened the conclusion by providing additional information about plastic sled's wide range of usage.

Thanks

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2917 [0], given: 220

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 13:51
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 18:16
KyleWiddison wrote:

KW

Sorry I think I haven't got fully your points. My assumption is "if all those accidents were not caused by plastic sledges, it means plastic sledges are less dangerous than wooden sledges". Thus my choice was E instead of C and D, can you help detect my falsified assumption?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 20:15
Hi
No reply talks about A and I am wondered.

A few children still use traditional wooden sleds.

I chose A because if the number of people using plastic is more or wood is less, that explains the discrepancy in the evidence.
Could you help me understand where I am going wrong?

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 74

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1874 [0], given: 449

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 15:23
sarathgopinath wrote:
Hi
No reply talks about A and I am wondered.

A few children still use traditional wooden sleds.

I chose A because if the number of people using plastic is more or wood is less, that explains the discrepancy in the evidence.
Could you help me understand where I am going wrong?

Quote:

The evidence cited is "that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago [when wooden sleds were popular]." This evidence seems to suggest that plastic sleds are more dangerous. Even if a few children still use traditional wooden sleds, if injuries have increased since plastic sleds became popular, this still suggests that plastic sleds are more dangerous.

The evidence cited does not require that ALL children use plastic sleds, so (A) can be eliminated.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1874 [0], given: 449

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 02:55
arorag wrote:
In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter snow in Verland used wooden sleds with runners and steering bars. Ten years ago, smooth plastic sleds became popular; they go faster than wooden sleds but are harder to steer and slow. The concern that plastic sleds are more dangerous is clearly borne out by the fact that the number of children injured while sledding was much higher last winter than it was ten years ago.

Which of the following, if true in Verland, most seriously undermines the force of the evidence cited?

OA B????

This question really boils down to E vs C IMO. The issue with E is that it actually kind of strengthens the argument because if a wooden sled accident ends up harming more children then how is it that the plastic sled has led to more overall accidents? This possibly means that there have been more plastic sled accidents. The thing about C means that ok well the sledders could be using it in more dangerous snow conditions such as thin ice hence the increased rate of injury.

C

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Re: In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 02:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

In the past, most children who went sledding in the winter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap