Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [66]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30785 [15]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
Re: In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 mass [#permalink]
Kudos
namurad wrote:
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

(A) most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle
(B) most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling
(C) most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling
(D) mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
(E) mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling

My question is - why is c correct and D wrong?
The problem i see in c is that the antecedent of "them" is ambiguous. "them" in c can refer to planets or astronomers (isn't it so?)

In D - mostly is an adverb which modifies the adjective (large).

D has 2 flaws:

1. most of them is better than mostly
2. incorrect modifying phrase that starts with "which" incorrectly refers to Jupitor.

both flaws are corrected in C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [9]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 mass [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(C)

(A) most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle --> Missing as
(B) most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling --> Missing as
(C) most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling --> Correct
(D) mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
(E) mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
If anything, E is a much closer second option than D.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [7]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mohnish104 wrote:
If anything, E is a much closer second option than D.

Hello mohnish

Sorry, I have to say E is worse than D! When you see the structure "as + adjective + OR + comparative...." ==> The correct structure MUST be: as X as OR larger than.... The second "as" is really important to make a comparison correct.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Is there a difference in meaning between the two sentences below?

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets circling other stars.
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets that circle other stars.

If there is no difference, then would both the sentences below be correct on the GMAT?

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them atleast as large as Jupiter, circling other stars.

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them atleast as large as Jupiter, that circle other stars.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Kudos
rakeshpai1 wrote:
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

A. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle
B. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling
C. most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling
D. mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
E. mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling

In option A, "which circle" --> is this modifying "80 massive planets"? If yes, which rule says always modifies the preceding noun. Can someone please provide few practice problems to this unique case?

IMO C

In D the usage of Mostly is incorrect according to me. Also, 'Which' modifies Jupiter. Plus I think Circling is necessary because the action is still going on.

It is easy to chuck other options. Experts, your comments?

Thanks,
Rohan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
Avisek47 wrote:

Can someone please clarify the following doubts -
'which' modifies "80 massive planets" or "Jupiter"?
generally 'which' modifies the immediate preceding noun before the comma. Here we have an additional modifier "most of them as large or larger than Jupiter" which can be skipped , so 'which' modifies "80 massive planets"?
If this is correct then apart from idiom error in (A) there seems no other error.
For (D) -->is the issue with "mostly" since it changes slightly the intended meaning ?
(C) --> "circling" modifies the entire clause "most of them at least as large as Jupiter"?

Hi Avisek,

Let's understand the intended meaning of this sentence

In the past several years ( is a prepositional phrase that gives more info about time frame)

astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets (this is an independent clause that has a subject astros and verb detected)

,most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, ( this phrase is giving information about planets that is additional and if ignored than you would see - astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, which circle other stars.
so now you know that which is a relative pronoun that refers to planets)

An other problem with the sentence is "as large or larger than" that is unidiomatic. The correct usage will be at least as large as .

Thus we can eliminate all answer choices except E and D.

The only difference in E and D is of adjective most. the usage of mostly is incorrect because mostly is an adverb that can't modify the noun planets.

in the end, as i said before " most of them....larger than Jupiter" is an additional phrase which can be omitted then you would see- astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets,circling other stars. in this sentence circling is modifying the planets.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.25
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Guys would be nice if you ppl can put some light on my thought process.

I would go with D.
The reason are
1) If you omit the sandwich phrase i.e phrase modifier, option c would sound grammatically incorrect.

..... astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, circling other stars.

In case of D, if we eliminate the phrase modifier, then

......... astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, which circle other stars.

Even if you eliminate phrase modifier (sandwich phrase) the sentence should make sense. In C it dos't and in D it dose.

2) Comma ing rule - I dont know how many of you recognize this rule by this term.

When ever we have a ing form (verb form) of word next to comma, that word should be a effect of a cause described before the comma.

Subject + Verb, ing

Cause , Effect
Example :- The car stopped, delaying Mike.

Cause Effect
Example :- The Bomb Blasted, Killing the man.

Here in option C the first part of the sentence does not signify any cause for the circling to be an effect.

Hope it's clear now.

The answer is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
In this question, can't 'Them' refer back to Astronomers??
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
prav04 wrote:
In this question, can't 'Them' refer back to Astronomers??

Good question. In my experience, pronoun reference is one of the harder topics for students so I'd heavily advise that you prioritize other decision points before you take a swing at pronoun reference. And it always comes down to this: students who are looking for pronoun reference errors very frequently misdiagnose proper pronoun usage for "hey we don't know what that refers to." The presence of multiple nouns doesn't mean that it's unclear what the pronoun refers to!

Here, note that:

1) "them" exists within a modifier that sits directly adjacent to "planets"

2) "them" describes size (most of them as large as or larger than Jupiter), and "planets" has the adjective "massive" in front of it, lending more credence to the idea that the modifier is expanding on that description of planets

3) "as large as or larger than Jupiter" just couldn't possibly describe people...the size comparison isn't something anyone would ever mistake. Pronoun reference is mostly an issue when you could make the case that the sentence might mislead people (hey, wait - is it the planets or the people who are that massive?) but here there's just no way you could mistake that.

Which...this isn't at all to "shame" anyone who saw pronoun reference as a possible error there. It's hard! Which is why I'd say leverage other, clearer decision points before trying to look for pronoun reference unless the pronoun reference is just plain egregious. If you're actively looking for pronoun reference errors as one of your primary missions, you'll "find" it in a lot of places where it doesn't really exist.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [8]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
Send PM
Kudos