Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [34]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [3]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of [#permalink]
Kudos
i would say A for this one actually; we have to attack the conclusion that more attacks have been due to people moving into alligators habitat. To me, I interpreted A as saying that if the eggs are no longer destroyed, you could have an increased population, which thereby could result in the increase in number of attacks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the past year, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of [#permalink]
Since you 2 are gmat heavyweights, I will just go ahead and give the OA, it is A.

C is not correct because Spiders, and Scorpions attacks are usually not FATAL, and snake bites are fatal, but only when go untreated. Whereas attacks by grown alligators are usually fatal (if you can't escape).

This is where MGMAT messed up. They gave A as the OA, but it can't be true either, because we all know that 2 years old alligator can't fatally injury people, not even babies, because their jaws are not big/strong enough to kill a baby, let alone toddlers or grown up. The babies can die from unmonitored bleeding, but how likely is that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [0]
Send PM
gmatnub wrote:
Since you 2 are gmat heavyweights, I will just go ahead and give the OA, it is A.

C is not correct because Spiders, and Scorpions attacks are usually not FATAL, and snake bites are fatal, but only when go untreated. Whereas attacks by grown alligators are usually fatal (if you can't escape).

This is where MGMAT messed up. They gave A as the OA, but it can't be true either, because we all know that 2 years old alligator can't fatally injury people, not even babies, because their jaws are not big/strong enough to kill a baby, let alone toddlers or grown up. The babies can die from unmonitored bleeding, but how likely is that?

I understand your explanation, however, maybe the Q is structured worng and is debateable. Normally in CR you cannot bring too extreme external assumptions into play.

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i went for A as well..

A gives an alternative reason..maybe now that eggs are not being destroyed there are more alligators thus more attacks..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [0]
Send PM
x97agarwal wrote:
gmatnub wrote:

I understand your explanation, however, maybe the Q is structured worng and is debateable. Normally in CR you cannot bring too extreme external assumptions into play.

Thanks.

That is my point, 2 years old alligators can not kill people. All that will happen in A is that you would have a bunch of yearling alligators around, which are harmless to people, or at least can not deal fatal attacks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1161 [0]
Send PM
A is best among all the ans. choices
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1208 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
x97agarwal wrote:
POE gives me C. IMO C

All others A, B, D, E strengthen the conclusion. However, I have no good explanation why C might be correct.
Guys, how does E strengthen the argument?
If the undeveloped areas of Florida decreases in area by 5% in the past year, then alligator population should also decrease. And so will decrease their attacks. Shouldn't it be so?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
joshnsit wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
POE gives me C. IMO C

All others A, B, D, E strengthen the conclusion. However, I have no good explanation why C might be correct.
If the undeveloped areas of Florida decreases in area by 5% in the past year, then alligator population should also decrease. And so will decrease their attacks. Shouldn't it be so?

Hi Joshnsit - I think that your flow of reasoning is somehow compelling, but the most importnat thing in a weaken question is to focus on conclusion. The conclusion for this argument states that the increase in alligator attacks is caused by humans living in the animal's habitat. Therefore, I suppose that a decrease in undeveloped areas means more humans living in the animal's habitat.

I hope it helps,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nechets wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
POE gives me C. IMO C

Hi Joshnsit - I think that your flow of reasoning is somehow compelling, but the most importnat thing in a weaken question is to focus on conclusion. The conclusion for this argument states that the increase in alligator attacks is caused by humans living in the animal's habitat. Therefore, I suppose that a decrease in undeveloped areas means more humans living in the animal's habitat.

I hope it helps,
nechets, I understand where you are coming from.
X= increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat.
Y = increase in fatal alligator attacks
The causality conclusion says: X ---Causes---> Y -----------(1)

If any another Cause X causes Y, then as per alternate causation theory, conclusion weakens.
Choice A says "a government initiative" ----Causes---->Y. Therefore it weakens causality conclusion in (1)
I agree with it. It completely fits the bill.

Another ways to weaken causality, as per CR Bible, are :
1) Prove that X happen when Y dont happen
2) Prove that Y happen when X dont happen
3) Prove that Y is causing X
4) Prove that there is some statistical issues

Now, Choice E says "Decrease in alligator attacks" is happening. This should weaken Y. In a weaken question, one has a right to attack premises(Y to be specific), and I tried doing that. This is an MGMAT problem and I am getting so many dubious/detracting choices which are hard to eliminate as per CR rules.

But what I am more concerned is that this choice has been told as a strengthener in their analysis and it is opposite of what was deciphered by me. So, any ideas in what sense can E become a strengthener.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Kudos
CONCLUSION- increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat-----LEADS TO ----- increase in fatal alligator attacks.

"A" correctly brings out [b]--------INCREASE IN NUMBER OF ALLIGATORS --- leads to------ INCREASE IN FATAL ALLIGATOR ATTACKS...[/b]

" E" just mentions what is already in the premise.....We know that human habitat is extending to undeveloped areas...ONLY a 5% factor has been added........ How can merely repeating a premise strengthen or weaken an argument ? " E" , therefore , makes no difference...................

kudos if you please.......
Manager
Manager
Send PM
semwal wrote:
CONCLUSION- increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat-----LEADS TO ----- increase in fatal alligator attacks.

"A" correctly brings out [b]--------INCREASE IN NUMBER OF ALLIGATORS --- leads to------ INCREASE IN FATAL ALLIGATOR ATTACKS...[/b]

" E" just mentions what is already in the premise.....We know that human habitat is extending to undeveloped areas...ONLY a 5% factor has been added........ How can merely repeating a premise strengthen or weaken an argument ? " E" , therefore , makes no difference...................

kudos if you please.......
semwal ji, You rock.. Your statement about E finally dawned enlightenment on troublesome me on this question. E actually supports the fact X(increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat). And I think this is what MGMAT suggests when they say E as supporter.
X= increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat.
Y = increase in fatal alligator attacks
The causality conclusion says: X ---Causes---> Y -----------(1)

Still, I didn't like the choice E as E supports premise X and destroys premise Y(because it indicate reduction in number of alligators in another sense) at the same time. But, I agree that causal conclusion weakener choice A is way better than E.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
DEAR JOSHNSIT,

The only issue with "A" is that we have to extend our imagination.... since destruction of eggs has ended.... more baby alligators MAY be taking birth.... this MAY be leading to extended population which MAY be leading to more fatal attacks on humans.....
however, increasing population may be leading to extension in inhabited areas.... and this itself, in first place, could have been the reason for destruction of eggs which has been stopped now.....therefore, this is a strong option....

kudos if you please......
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
A for me too.

I think B&D strengthen and C&E are out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 423
Send PM
Kudos
OA is A

We need to provide another reason to weaken the argument.

The number of people killed by alligators may have increased in the past year for some reason other than the increase in the number of humans living in the alligator’s habitat.

(A) This statement properly identifies an alternative rationale (there are more alligators now) and undermines the given explanation.

However,

(C) This point about differing types of harmful wildlife is irrelevant to the argument about alligator fatalities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
I would go for A.

A weakens the conclusion by providing another reason for the increase in fatal deaths by alligators because the government initiative to reduce the alligator population size by destroying alligator eggs ended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
sumisachan wrote:
I would go for A.

A weakens the conclusion by providing another reason for the increase in fatal deaths by alligators because the government initiative to reduce the alligator population size by destroying alligator eggs ended.

The word "ended" means "stopped abruptly" or "completed"? Because, if you consider the latter, then it will mess up the reasoning.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
OA added and bumping for further discussion
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts