Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1848 [35]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [35]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [6]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, a line passes through the points [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bmahes wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
The conventional approach here would be to find the equation of the line. You can find the slope by subtracting the y coordinates of the two points, and then dividing by the difference in x coordinates:

m = (0 - 5)/(7 - 0) = -5/7

The y intercept of the line is 5, since (0,5) is on the line, so the equation of the line is

y = (-5/7)x + 5

If a point is on this line, then the equation above must be true if we plug in that point's coordinates. So we can now plug in each answer choice to see which works. If you plug in answer D (x = 14, y = -5), you get:

-5 = (-5/7)(14) + 5
-5 = -10 + 5
-5 = -5

so the equation is true, and D is on the line.

If you have a good conceptual understanding of slopes, you can bypass the calculations above. If a line travels from (0,5) to (7,0), it goes across 7 units and falls 5 units. So if we go across a further 7 units from the point (7,0), we must fall by a further 5 units. We'd then be at point (14,-5).

So I wanted to get this "good conceptual understanding of slopes" and not solve it by making equations. Can you please help me with it?

I have discussed the concept of slope here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... line-gmat/

The points on the line are (0, 5) and (7, 0). So for 7 units increase in x value, y decreases by 5 units.

If x reduces by 7 units, y will increase by 5 units. So from (0, 5) we will get that (-7, 10) will lie on the line, not (-7, 5)
If x increases by 14 units, y will reduce by 10 units so from (0, 5), we will get (14, -5). This is option (D). Correct answer.
Some more examples:
If x reduces by 14 units, y will increase by 10 units so from (0, 5), we will get (-14, 15), not (-14, 10)
If x increases by 21 units, y will reduce by 15 units so from (0, 5), we will get (21, -10), not (21, -9)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, a line passes through the points [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manalq8 wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system, a line passes through the points (0,5) and (7,0). Which of the following points must the line also pass through?

A)(-14, 10)

B)(-7, 5)

C)(12, -4)

D)(14, -5)

E)(21, -9)

can someone please suggest a strategy for this type of problems?

thanks alot

We see that the slope of the line is (0 - 5) / (7 - 0) = -5/7. Now let’s check each given answer choice by determining the slope between that point and (0, 5).

A. (10 - 5) / (-14 - 0) = 5/(-14) = -5/14 → This is not -5/7.

B. (5 - 5) / (-7 - 0) = 0/(-7) = 0 → This is not -5/7.

C. (-4 - 5) / (12 - 0) = -9/12 = -3/4 → This is not -5/7.

D. (-5 - 5) / (14 - 0) = -10/14 = -5/7 → This is -5/7.

Answer: D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [3]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
we can from the start eliminate C and E, since the coordinate of y is clearly not divisible by 5. why 5? because the slope of the line is -(5/7)

thus we are left with
A)(-14, 10)
B)(-7, 5)
D)(14, -5)

we can further eliminate B, since this point will give a numerator equal to 0 when trying to plug in and check whether the slope is the same.

10-15 seconds was needed to eliminate 3 answer choices. Now we are left with only 2.
let's take A
we know that the slope of the line is -5/7
we can then check:
10 -5 = 5
-14 - 0 = -14
we get a slope of -(5/14)

this is clearly not what we need.

just to make sure, let's plug in values of the second given point
10-0 = 10
-14 - 7 = -21

we then get -(10/21)
we can then conclude that A is not the right answer.

The only answer choice left is D. which must be the right one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
manalq8 wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system, a line passes through the points (0,5) and (7,0). Which of the following points must the line also pass through?

A)(-14, 10)
B)(-7, 5)
C)(12, -4)
D)(14, -5)
E)(21, -9)

Here's another possible approach..

First plot of the two given points:

Notice that, to get from one point (0, 5) to the other point (7, 0), we must go down 5 units and then to the right 7 units

If we continue this pattern....

.... The next point on the line is at (14, -5)

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:

I have read your blog (highly helpful) and have understood that if the slope here were +2 it would mean if x increases by 1 unit, y would increase by 2 units. In this question, the slope is -5/7 (a fraction) now how do we apply this logic here? How did you come to this conclusion "for 7 units increase in x value, y decreases by 5 units"

Slope is 'change in y' for every 1 unit 'change in x'.

Slope = -5/7

Change in y = -5/7 for change in x = 1

So if change in x is 7, change in y = -5/7 * 7 = -5

So when x increases by 7, y decreases by 5 (that's what the negative sign shows that the change in y is opposite)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
manalq8 wrote:
A)(-14, 10)
B)(-7, 5)
C)(12, -4)
D)(14, -5)
E)(21, -9)

can someone please suggest a strategy for this type of problems?

thanks alot

Hey :)

The first thing I always do is trying to draw this as fast and accurate as possible.
When you draw the two points in a coordinate system, connect them with a line and extend the line, you clearly see what point could be on the line.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
In the rectangular coordinate system, a line passes through the points [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
The conventional approach here would be to find the equation of the line. You can find the slope by subtracting the y coordinates of the two points, and then dividing by the difference in x coordinates:

The y intercept of the line is 5, since (0,5) is on the line, so the equation of the line is

y = (-5/7)x + 5

If a point is on this line, then the equation above must be true if we plug in that point's coordinates. So we can now plug in each answer choice to see which works. If you plug in answer D (x = 14, y = -5), you get:

-5 = (-5/7)(14) + 5
-5 = -10 + 5
-5 = -5

If you have a good conceptual understanding of slopes, you can bypass the calculations above. If a line travels from (0,5) to (7,0), it goes across 7 units and falls 5 units. So if we go across a further 7 units from the point (7,0), we must fall by a further 5 units. We'd then be at point (14,-5).

So I wanted to get this "good conceptual understanding of slopes" and not solve it by making equations. Can you please help me with it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
bmahes wrote:
IanStewart wrote:

y = (-5/7)x + 5

-5 = (-5/7)(14) + 5
-5 = -10 + 5
-5 = -5

I have discussed the concept of slope here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... line-gmat/

The points on the line are (0, 5) and (7, 0). So for 7 units increase in x value, y decreases by 5 units.

If x reduces by 7 units, y will increase by 5 units. So from (0, 5) we will get that (-7, 10) will lie on the line, not (-7, 5)
If x increases by 14 units, y will reduce by 10 units so from (0, 5), we will get (14, -5). This is option (D). Correct answer.
Some more examples:
If x reduces by 14 units, y will increase by 10 units so from (0, 5), we will get (-14, 15), not (-14, 10)
If x increases by 21 units, y will reduce by 15 units so from (0, 5), we will get (21, -10), not (21, -9)

Hi VeritasKarishma

I have read your blog (highly helpful) and have understood that if the slope here were +2 it would mean if x increases by 1 unit, y would increase by 2 units. In this question, the slope is -5/7 (a fraction) now how do we apply this logic here? How did you come to this conclusion "for 7 units increase in x value, y decreases by 5 units"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A line passes through infinite number of points...so if we take any pair of points it should give the same slope.
Let us call the given points A(0,5) & B(7,0)
So slope of AB is -5/7
Now the answer we choose if it lies on the same line, that is if the line passes through a point, that point with either point A or point B should give the same slope.
Let us look at choice A (-14,10) with (0,5) gives a slope of -5/14
B (-7,5) with (0,5) gives 0 slope
C (12,-4) with (0,5) gives slope of -3/4
D choice (14,-5) with (0,5) gives the required slope of -5/7
Hence D

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
(0,5) and (7,0) are x and y intercept form. So we can write the equation of a line in the intercept form. x/a + y/b = 1. So the equation become x/7 + y/5 = 1. Putting the values of x and y from the answer choice we can find the option which satisfies the equation. Ans D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:

Very nice explanation! Thank you Ian.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts