Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3941 [47]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [10]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: In the table above, is z = 20q ? [#permalink]
Kudos
How common are such questions on the GMAT and what's the difficulty level if this question shows up as Problem solving rather than DS?

Bunuel's approach is easier to digest :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I got the answer right, but it took me arounf 4 mins.
Lots of equations to set up!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

GMAT questions can often be solved using variety of different approaches (and even the "math" can be done in different ways), so you sometimes have to think about what is the easiest way to get to the answer using the given information (and using the wording of the specific question to your advantage).

Here, we're asked if Z = 20Q, which is a relatively "strange" thing to ask. Maybe there's a pattern to figuring out that exact question....

Everyone seems to have interpreted Fact 1 correctly, so I won't rehash that work here.

In Fact 2, we're told that each value that is NOT a Q is equal to the SUM of the value directly to the LEFT and directly ABOVE it. Using the table, we start with....

Q Q Q Q
Q
Q
Q

From here, let's do the second row, but don't write down a thick equation for every box - just talk through the math....

Q + Q = 2Q

Q Q Q Q
Q 2Q
Q
Q

Q + 2Q = 3Q

Q Q Q Q
Q 2Q 3Q
Q
Q

Q + 3Q = 4Q

Q Q Q Q
Q 2Q 3Q 4Q
Q
Q

You can easily fill in the next two rows without that much effort - just add up the values to the immediate LEFT and ABOVE....

Q Q Q Q
Q 2Q 3Q 4Q
Q 3Q 6Q 10Q
Q 4Q 10Q 20Q

When a question takes you "too long" to answer, sometimes what you have to focus on is how YOU approached the task. Could you have organized your work better? Could you have done the math in a different way? Could you have used a different approach entirely? Etc. As such, it's often beneficial to redo past questions (even if you got the questions correct) so that you can master other approaches and ultimately be able to approach questions in multiple ways. That flexibility in thinking will be beneficial on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
anilnandyala wrote:
please some one explain this, thanks in advance

In the table above, is z = 20q?

(1) q = 3 --> we don't know the relationship between the letters. Not sufficient.
(2) Each value in the table other than q is equal to the sum of the value immediately above it in the table and the value immediately to its left in the table --> we can express all letters below and to the right of q in terms of q and eventually we'll get z in terms of q and see whether z=20q is true. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Just to illustrate:
Attachment:
untitled.PNG

Hi Bunuel,

I think it's a silly question, but if z=12Q after the derivation, then also the answer would be B as the data is sufficient to say that z is not equal to 20Q, just a general query.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SinhaS wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
anilnandyala wrote:
please some one explain this, thanks in advance

(1) q = 3 --> we don't know the relationship between the letters. Not sufficient.
(2) Each value in the table other than q is equal to the sum of the value immediately above it in the table and the value immediately to its left in the table --> we can express all letters below and to the right of q in terms of q and eventually we'll get z in terms of q and see whether z=20q is true. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Just to illustrate:
Attachment:
untitled.PNG

Hi Bunuel,

I think it's a silly question, but if z=12Q after the derivation, then also the answer would be B as the data is sufficient to say that z is not equal to 20Q, just a general query.

Yes. In a Yes/No Data Sufficiency questions, statement(s) is sufficient if the answer is “always yes” or “always no” while a statement(s) is insufficient if the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement(s) is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
anilnandyala wrote:
Attachment:
qqqq.png

(1) q = 3
(2) Each value in the table other than q is equal to the sum of the value immediately above it in the table and the value immediately to its left in the table

1) q=3 => insufficient
2) Each value in the table other than q is equal to the sum of the value immediately above it in the table and the value immediately to its left in the table

q-q--q--q
q-2q-3q-4q
q-3q-6q-10q
q-4q-10q-20q

Clearly z=20q

Option B is the correct answer
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anilnandyala wrote:
Attachment:
qqqq.png

(1) q = 3
(2) Each value in the table other than q is equal to the sum of the value immediately above it in the table and the value immediately to its left in the table

Such a question is not hard if you choose the right starting point.
Statement 1 is obviously not sufficient since it doesn't give the relation between variables.
So look at Statement 2. You want to see if you can get z in terms of q.
Note that r on the edge can be written in terms of q only.
r = 2q
So s = 3q, t = 4q.
Similarly, we will get u, v and w in terms of q and eventually x, y and z in terms of q.

So we will know whether z is equal to 20q and statement 2 alone will be sufficient.

Answer (B)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts