It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2014, 17:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 07:03
atomy wrote:
13. In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws was 645 crimes per 100,000 persons—about 50 percent higher than the average rate in the eleven states where strict gun-control laws have never been passed. Thus one way to reduce violent crime is to repeal strict gun control laws.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?
(A) The annual rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws has decreased since the passage of those laws.
(B) In states with strict gun-control laws, few individuals are prosecuted for violating such laws.
(C) In states without strict gun-control laws, many individuals have had no formal training in the use of firearms.
(D) The annual rate of nonviolent crime is lower in states with strict gun-control laws than in states without such laws.
(E) Less than half of the individuals who reside in states without strict gun-control laws own a gun.

my reasoning not to select E is that if a person owns a gun, it doesn't mean that he/she may comit a crime..
please correct me if i am wrong..By the way, i narrowed down to A and E and then i applied the above reasoning to select A as the answer..

Okay here goes my explanantion:

(A) The annual rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws has decreased since the passage of those laws.
This options directlty shows the flaw in the premise-conclusion relationship. This option says, that, you know what, it might take several years for a strict rule to show its effects, and now the effects are visible, the violent crimes have reduced, and now that the crimes are curbed, repealing the laws would hurt the success.CORRECT
(B) In states with strict gun-control laws, few individuals are prosecuted for violating such laws.
What happens to people after they are caught, none of this argument's business
(C) In states without strict gun-control laws, many individuals have had no formal training in the use of firearms.
well, i think this could have a bit misleading too, because trained or not trained does not stop you from just pulling the trigger. If you are not trained and shooting people, doesnt mean you are committing violent crimes? rite?
(D) The annual rate of nonviolent crime is lower in states with strict gun-control laws than in states without such laws.
Talking about on-violent crimes, does this conclusion care about non-violent crimes? NOPE.
(E) Less than half of the individuals who reside in states without strict gun-control laws own a gun.
Owning a gun is not nesscarily related to number of crimes committed. Extremely violent people but less number can commit as many crimes as lots of not-so-voilent people with guns. So, this option doesnt really tell us anything related to the conclusion.

The main aim should be to stick to the conclusion really. If you really understand what the conclusion is, its simple to rule out so many options just on the basis of scope.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 08:27
My 2 cents on this though folks have already answered this in earlier posts.

Conclusion:
One way to reduce violent crime is to repeal strict gun control laws.
Why?
the average rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws was 645 crimes per 100,000 persons—about 50 percent higher than the average rate in the eleven states where strict gun-control laws have never been passed.

Based upon the VC rate its concluded that law is ineffective. One of the assumption here could be that the rate hasn't been higher in past.
Option A hits the nail on the head by negating that assumption.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 606

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 11:36

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 20:22

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 01:32
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws was 645 crimes per 100,000 persons—about 50 percent higher than the average rate in the eleven states where strict gun-control laws have never been passed. Thus one way to reduce violent crime is to repeal strict gun control laws.

Premise: Violent crime rate is higher in states with gun control law
Conclusion: We should repeal the law to reduce the crime
We need to weaken this conclusion.

What if the rates of the states with the law were already higher from the others. In this case we cannot base our judgement on just the rate.
Option A talks on the same lines by saying that the rate of violent crime has reduced in the states with the law. So, if we reduce the law, the rates might go up again.
This weakens our conclusion.

Correct Option: A

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 18:27

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 09:20
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 02:56
Imo A

It tells that the states which implemented the law were able to reduce violent crimes hence the law was successful in reducing the violent crimes .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 04:01
In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent crime in states with strict gun-control laws was 645 crimes per 100,000 persons—about 50 percent higher than the average rate in the eleven states where strict gun-control laws have never been passed. Thus one way to reduce violent crime is to repeal strict gun control laws.

The argument assumes that it is because of their strict gun-control laws that states with such laws have a high rate of violent crime. If that were so, passage of these laws should be associated with increased violent crime. That is there is a CORRELATION between the passage of these laws AND violent crimes.

It indicates that the opposite is true and so weakens the argument.

Also, if we notice more carefully, the argument is talking about the relative average rate of violent crimes for states with and without laws. But option A is talking about the overall annual rate that too for the states with the law and it says that the annual rate of violent crimes has decreased, thus we don't need to repeal strict gun control laws. Thus, Correct ANswer.

The infrequency of prosecutions under strict gun-control laws does not indicate that these laws have no effect on violent crime.

What if many individuals were prosecuted for violating such laws, In states with strict gun-control laws :?: :?: does that weakens the CORRELATION between the passage of these laws AND violent crimes. No, right. Even then also there can be more crimes.

For choice C and E to be relevant more information is needed, such as comparative data about states with strict gun-control laws.

so what?? what about the states with strict gun-control laws??

non-violent crimes, we are not concerned..

so what?? what about the states with strict gun-control laws??

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 135

In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 04:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

In the United States in 1986, the average rate of violent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap