Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [140]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [44]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [11]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [5]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: In the United States one of the earliest challengers of the economic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
GMAT® Official Guide 2020 VERBAL REVIEW
NEW OFFICIAL QUESTION
SC Question OG VR #233

In the United States one of the earliest challengers of the economic principle of free trade was Alexander Hamilton, who in 1792 advocated government policies that would encourage indigenous manufacturing and to protect it from competition from British exports.

A) and to protect it
B) but protecting it
C) while protecting it
D) for protecting them
E) to protect them

KUDOS to all replies that provide good explanations.

IMHO C

A) and to protect it -Change intended meaning and wrong ||'ism
B) but protecting it - usage of 'BUT' changes the intended meaning
C) while protecting it -CORRECT
D) for protecting them -'Them; cannot refer to Manufacturing
E) to protect them -'Them; cannot refer to Manufacturing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [3]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: In the United States one of the earliest challengers of the economic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
GMAT® Official Guide 2020 VERBAL REVIEW
NEW OFFICIAL QUESTION
SC Question OG VR #233

In the United States one of the earliest challengers of the economic principle of free trade was Alexander Hamilton, who in 1792 advocated government policies that would encourage indigenous manufacturing and to protect it from competition from British exports.

A) and to protect it : Since and is a parallel marker, here sentence means that policies would do two actions: encourage and to protect, both the actions are not parallel. Incorrect
B) but protecting it : but is a contrast marker. Here usage of protecting it is better than A. “It” refers back to indigenous manufacturing, which is correct. “But” does not make a whole lot of sense here even if it is grammatically correct. But would mean that indigenous manufacturing would have a separate market for itself. Meaning error
C) while protecting it : “While” corrects the error from Choice B. While reflects an action being performed simultaneously. Here, indigenous manufacturing and product from British Exports will be in the same market but policies will protect indigenous manufacturing in some way. CORRECT
D) for protecting them : Here “for” changes the meaning of the sentence. It would mean that indigenous manufacturing will protect policies from competition. Incorrect
E) to protect them : same as A. Plus, them has no logical plural antecedent.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
First level of elimination can be pronoun reference.
The sentence talks about indigenous manufacturing which is singular hence the decendant pronoun should be "it". Hence eliminate d and e.
Next
A. To protect is not parallel with that would encourage. Let's remove that.
B. But protecting it sounds contrast. The sentence doesn't talk about to contrasting things but infact "protecting it" is an additional task that policies are doing. Let's eliminate this also

C. Corrects all the above errors . While is supportive . Protecting it supports extra work by policies.
Hence correct answer "C"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
In the United States one of the earliest challengers of the economic [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CrushTHYGMAT wrote:
can you please explain why 'to protect' doesn't work in choice A and 'while protecting' works in choice C.

I understand it is the government policies that will protect indigenous manufacturing. It's hard for me to see how while protecting connects with policies in choice C.

Does X while Y demand the same kind of parallelism that X and Y demands? Or we have more flexibility in the former case?

Thank you!

Here's the noun phrase from the (A) version:

government policies that would encourage indigenous manufacturing and to protect it from competition from British exports

We can see that the point to be made is that the government policies would do two things "encourage indigenous manufacturing" and "protect it." So, the issue with this version is that, by using "to protect," this version splits these two things. In other words, this version illogically communicates in one list two different types of ideas, the idea that they are policies "that would encourage indigenous manufacturing" and the idea that they are policies "to protect it."

Without going into the sublteties of why this construction is illogical, we can see that the list is not parallel - what precedes the coordinating conjunction "and," "that would encourage," does not match what follows it "to protect." The existence of that mismatch is sufficient reason to elminate choice (A) in GMAT SC.

Regarding choice (C), "while protecting it from British exports" is a subjectless clause that is understood to mean "while (they are) protecting it from British exports."

So, the noun phrase in the (C) version comunicates the following:

government policies that would encourage indigenous manufacturing while (they are) protecting it from competition from British exports

We can see why what follows "while" does not have to be parallel to what precedes "while." "While" is not a coodinating conjunction connecting list elements. Rather "while" introduces a subjectless clause communicating information about a simultanous action.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

(A) and to protect it
(B) but protecting it
(C) while protecting it
(D) for protecting them
(E) to protect them

SC81661.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

(A) and to protect it - Wrong: 1) Parallelism 2) Meaning
(B) but protecting it - Wrong: 1) Meaning 2) Parallelism
(C) while protecting it - Correct
(D) for protecting them - Wrong: 1) Pronoun 2) Meaning
(E) to protect them - Wrong: 1) Pronoun
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
Bookmarks
GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal mikemcgarry ChrisLele egmat VeritasKarishma
Could you please help me in clarifying why option C is correct? I think 'while' also needs a parallel entity in the -ing form as well in order to be parallel with 'protecting'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep, it makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your prompt response and great explanation.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
globaldesi and Doer01 , nicely done.

(Doer01, though, read option E again carefully.
I think you are seeing an "and," but there is no "and." :) )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Send PM
indigenous manufacturing sure sounds like a "them" but has to be construed as an "it". If we follow the meaning of the sentence, Hamilton advocated these policies while protecting "it" and not "to protect them"

IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
QUICK SOLVING BETWEEN B AND C
WHILE =simultaneously CORRECT MEANING
BUT = NOT INTENDED MEANING
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
try to understand the meaning of the sentence and then you will realize the pronoun problem because pronoun problem will make your understanding the sentence more difficult.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
generis wrote:

(A) and to protect it
(B) but protecting it
(C) while protecting it
(D) for protecting them
(E) to protect them

Government policies would encourage (verb) manufacturing (industries-understood; is singular) and protect it (manufacturing).

(A) not parallel with would encourage OUT
(B) Gives negative meaning OUT
(C) while protecting it; Correct
(D) "Them" is wrong for singular manufacturing OUT
(E) "Them" is wrong for singular manufacturing and to protect is not correct, OUT

The answer is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
In the United States one of the earliest challengers of the economic [#permalink]
GMATNinja, MartyTargetTestPrep, and egmat, can you please explain why 'to protect' doesn't work in choice A and 'while protecting' works in choice C.

I understand it is the government policies that will protect indigenous manufacturing. It's hard for me to see how while protecting connects with policies in choice C.

Does X while Y demand the same kind of parallelism that X and Y demands? Or we have more flexibility in the former case?

Thank you!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Hi MissBong,
Thank you for your PM.

But, I may not be the best person to answer your query. I too selected (C) on the basis of POE. But, I am also not sure how this "while protecting it from competition from British exports" phrase works. I believe that if you read the sentence with (C), it makes sense and the meaning comes out naturally. But, if you ask me about the grammar behind it, I am not sure how I'd qualify it. I know prepositional phrases separated by commas can modify preceding or succeeding clauses. Here, a prepositional phrase is placed in continuity without a comma, so is it modifying the entire preceding clause? As per the meaning, it looks like it does.

I believe AndrewN or KarishmaB can provide more clarity onto this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM

(A) and to protect it - The sentence is trying to say Alexander advocated policies that would (A) encourage IM while also protecting it from competition. Use of and makes the intension a bit weaker but even if we overlook that 'to protect it from competition' has nothing to be parallel to. If it would have been 'and would protect it from competition' we could give this option a chance.
(B) but protecting it - 'policies that would encourage IM but protecting it from competition' is incorrect in meaning intended (as there is no opposing ideas here, both are positive facts)
(C) while protecting it - This is good as it fixes the contrasting coordinating conjunction from but -> while
(D) for protecting them - meaning issue as he did not advocate for the purpose of protecting them (also them? that's ambiguous as no where are the indigenous people mentioned, instead the manufacturing is mentioned)
(E) to protect them - same issue as D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Thank you Karishma for the reply.
KarishmaB wrote:
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Hi MissBong,
Thank you for your PM.

But, I may not be the best person to answer your query. I too selected (C) on the basis of POE. But, I am also not sure how this "while protecting it from competition from British exports" phrase works. I believe that if you read the sentence with (C), it makes sense and the meaning comes out naturally. But, if you ask me about the grammar behind it, I am not sure how I'd qualify it. I know prepositional phrases separated by commas can modify preceding or succeeding clauses. Here, a prepositional phrase is placed in continuity without a comma, so is it modifying the entire preceding clause? As per the meaning, it looks like it does.

I believe AndrewN or KarishmaB can provide more clarity onto this.

"while" is a subordinating conjunction used with a gerund here. When the subject is the same, we can use just a gerund instead of the usual 'subject + verb' in the subordinate clause. So the adverbial clause is reduced to an adverbial phrase in this case.

For example,
I usually read while travelling. (no comma needed)
While travelling, I usually read. (we often use a comma here)

Option (C) has the same structure:
... policies would encourage A while protecting it from B ...

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts