Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [32]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [5]
Given Kudos: 185
GPA: 4
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [3]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Re: In the United States, trade unions encountered far more intense opposi [#permalink]
Kudos
In the United States, trade unions encountered far more intense opposition against their struggle for social legitimacy than the organized labor movements of most other democratic nations.

(A) against their struggle for social legitimacy than
(B) in their struggle for social legitimacy than did
(C) against their struggle for social legitimacy as
(D) in their struggle for social legitimacy as did
(E) when they struggled for social legitimacy than has

"far more" requires the word "than" to complete the comparison We can eliminate (C) and (D)

trade unions "encountered" more than the organized labor movements ... "encountered"
The word that can substitute for "encountered" is "did" or an omitted "encountered. (E) is out, also "has" does not pair with "movements"

(A) and (B) are left. I think (B) is better when I rephrase this sentence.
In their struggle for social legitimacy, trade unions encountered far more intense opposition than did the organized labor movements of most other democratic nations.

Ans: (B)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: In the United States, trade unions encountered far more intense opposi [#permalink]
Kudos
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 32: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

In the United States, trade unions encountered far more intense opposition against their struggle for social legitimacy than the organized labor movements of most other democratic nations.

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

In A and C, against is awkward and redundant because the idea of the resistance met by the trade unions is already established by the phrase encountered ... opposition. Additionally, the failure in A and C to include did makes the I comparisons in those choices incomplete, allowing the misreading that trade unions in the United States encountered the organized labor movements of other nations. Choices C and D both incorrectly use more ... as to make a comparison; the idiomatic form of this expression is "more x than y." Choice B is best, both idiomatic and unambiguous. Choice E is awkward, and the singular verb has does not agree with the plural subject of the clause, labor movements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Send PM
POE:

"Against" becomes redundant when used with the word - "opposition". Also, since we are doing the comparison, then "than" is preferred.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bookmarks
aragonn wrote:

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Based on meaning:
Trade unions are not struggling against social legitimacy.
They are struggling for social legitimacy.
Based on the above A & C can be eliminated.

Choice E is wordy and awkward. Eliminated.

Now we are left with B & D.
Than did vs as did: than did correctly compares the trade unions of one country to another.

Hence B is the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Hi KarishmaB AndrewN hope you are doing well! Although I selected the correct answer choice, I want to make sure that my reasoning3 was correct. It will be immensely helpful if you can review my analysis and provide your comments on it.

(A) against their struggle for social legitimacy than The opposition that the trade unions encountered was not against their struggle but in their struggle, and also opposition and against are redundant
(B) in their struggle for social legitimacy than did This is the correct answer choice, however, I want to understand that can we literally remove did with encountered or did just acts as a reference for the verb ?
(C) against their struggle for social legitimacy as We need more... than not more... as
(D) in their struggle for social legitimacy as did Same as C
(E) when they struggled for social legitimacy than has When is not correct, also has is incorrect

Your response will be much appreciated.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
aragonn wrote:

Hi KarishmaB AndrewN hope you are doing well! Although I selected the correct answer choice, I want to make sure that my reasoning3 was correct. It will be immensely helpful if you can review my analysis and provide your comments on it.

(A) against their struggle for social legitimacy than The opposition that the trade unions encountered was not against their struggle but in their struggle, and also opposition and against are redundant
(B) in their struggle for social legitimacy than did This is the correct answer choice, however, I want to understand that can we literally remove did with encountered or did just acts as a reference for the verb ?
(C) against their struggle for social legitimacy as We need more... than not more... as
(E) when they struggled for social legitimacy than has When is not correct, also has is incorrect

Hello, RohitSaluja. Your analysis looks sound. In answer choice (B), did is acting as a substitute verb for the earlier encountered, since the comparison is between the degree of opposition faced by one group, trade unions in the United States, and another, the organized labor movements of most other democratic nations. Such usage is quite common on the GMAT™. In fact, I just wrote a post the other day on the matter and linked to several official questions in which some form of to do appears in this manner. It is worth checking out to see how GMAC™ likes to test this type of comparison.

Well done on your analysis. Thank you for thinking to ask for my input.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
aragonn wrote:

'did' substitutes 'encountered'

Correct usages:

X is more A than Y. (comparing X with Y in a particular characteristic: X is bigger than Y. X is more intelligent than Y. etc)

X encountered more A than did Y. (comparing the amount of A encountered by the two. X encountered more opposition than did Y. We need a substitute verb here with Y. We are not comparing X with Y. We are comparing the amount of A encountered by each.)
We can also write this as "X encountered more A than Y encountered" but we rarely repeat the verb since it sounds clumsy. We use just the substitute 'did' for it.

A of X is greater than that of Y. (comparing the A's of both)
The neck of X is longer than that of Y (comparing the necks of both)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
In the United States, trade unions encountered far more intense opposi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:

Hi Rohit, AndrewN and KarishmaB have already answered your query.

I would like to add that while in this question, did is in the past tense and so is "encountered", do/did/does can in fact substitute for almost any action verb in any tense.

For example, following is correct:

Michael has never run as fast as his father did.

Notice that "did" is substituting for the simple past "ran", even though the first half of the sentence is in present perfect ("has run").

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this aspect of "to do" verbs. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Forms of to do.pdf [13.21 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Simplify: Trade unions encountered more opposition than the organized labor movements

This is ambiguous. Trade unions encountered more opposition than they encountered the movements? Or trade unions encountered more opposition than the movements encountered the opposition?

Because we don't know if "movements" is the object of the subject of the comparison, this answer choice is OUT.

Trade unions encountered more opposition than did organized labor movements.

This is correct! By stating "did", the testmaker is clearly hinting that the movements is used as the subject of the comparison here.

More..as = WRONG

Same as (C)

"has" would be okay if we were to indicate that the 2nd part of the comparison is used as present perfect, but that's not the case here. OUT

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts