Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [101]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618609 [24]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = x^2 ? [#permalink]
Hi Gurus,

My question may be absurd but please help me understand the concept here. When I see y=x^2 i do not see it as an Upright parabola but a parabola drawn towards positive x axis . Say y=-3 then x^2 = 9 so (-3,9) is on the parabola, similarly (-2,4),(-1,1),(0,0),(1,1) and (2.4) all should form the parabola with function y=X^2.

Now if line l passes through (-4,16)- statement B, i see it as x co-ordinate as -4 and y co-ordinate as 16 then this point does not lie on the parabola. Can anyone please explain where am I at fault?

Thanks in advance.

Arun
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618609 [3]
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = x^2 ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amariappan wrote:
Hi Gurus,

My question may be absurd but please help me understand the concept here. When I see y=x^2 i do not see it as an Upright parabola but a parabola drawn towards positive x axis . Say y=-3 then x^2 = 9 so (-3,9) is on the parabola, similarly (-2,4),(-1,1),(0,0),(1,1) and (2.4) all should form the parabola with function y=X^2.

Now if line l passes through (-4,16)- statement B, i see it as x co-ordinate as -4 and y co-ordinate as 16 then this point does not lie on the parabola. Can anyone please explain where am I at fault?

Thanks in advance.

Arun

I think you should brush-up fundamental on coordinate geometry:
Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

As for your question, check the graph of y=x^2 and the point (-4, 16) on it:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 11.71 KiB | Viewed 32957 times ]
To check whether (-4, 16) is on y=x^2, substitute x=-4 there and check whether y comes out to be 16: (-4)^2=16, so (-4, 16) is on y=x^2.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I understand the everything concerning how line l intersects y=x^2 at (-4,16) and not (4,-8), but I am confused as to what the question is asking. As a data sufficiency problem, are we not simply supposed to select the statements that allow us to reach an answer? For example, this question specifically asks whether line intersects y=x^2; then, is the first statement not sufficient NOT simply because (4,-8) isn't on y=x^2 but because even if it's not, we don't know if it intersects at another point (i.e. a vertical line at x=4 vs. a horizontal line at y=-8)? Just trying to make sure I'm not getting the right answer for the wrong reason.

Thanks in advance!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618609 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatestaker08 wrote:
I understand the everything concerning how line l intersects y=x^2 at (-4,16) and not (4,-8), but I am confused as to what the question is asking. As a data sufficiency problem, are we not simply supposed to select the statements that allow us to reach an answer? For example, this question specifically asks whether line intersects y=x^2; then, is the first statement not sufficient NOT simply because (4,-8) isn't on y=x^2 but because even if it's not, we don't know if it intersects at another point (i.e. a vertical line at x=4 vs. a horizontal line at y=-8)? Just trying to make sure I'm not getting the right answer for the wrong reason.

Thanks in advance!

There are two kinds of data sufficient questions: YES/NO DS questions and DS questions which ask to find a value.

In Yes/No Data Sufficiency questions, statement is sufficient if the answer is “always yes” or “always no” while a statement is insufficient if the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

The original question is an Yes/No Data Sufficiency question. And the first statement is not sufficient because we can have both yes and no answers to the question. See my post with diagram in it.

Hope it helps.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = x^2

(1) Line L passes through (4, -8)
(2) Line L passes through (-4, 16)

There are 2 variables (slope, y-intercept) and 2 equations are given by the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (C) will be the answer.
C actually is the answer, but is too trivial.
If we look at the conditions separately,
condition 1 cannot determine anything
Condition 2 y=x^2 passes through (-4,16) so it's a 'yes' and is sufficient, making the answer (B).

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 708
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Just wanted to clarify a concept am having some doubts about pertaining to this question. Statement two clearly gives a yes as it satisfies y=x^2. But as for statement 1 it doesn't satisfy it i.e. it doesn't lie on the graph y=x^2 but we can't say its a clear NO(i.e Sufficient) because if two lines intersect they need to have only 1 solution in common i.e the line MAY still intersect the parabola.

What am trying to clarify is that for two lines to intersect we just need a common solution and not for all points (in this case 4,-8) to satisfy both equations?

Hope am able to explain my query. Looking forward to hear from you.
Best
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sidharth003 wrote:
VeritasKarishma Just wanted to clarify a concept am having some doubts about pertaining to this question. Statement two clearly gives a yes as it satisfies y=x^2. But as for statement 1 it doesn't satisfy it i.e. it doesn't lie on the graph y=x^2 but we can't say its a clear NO(i.e Sufficient) because if two lines intersect they need to have only 1 solution in common i.e the line MAY still intersect the parabola.

What am trying to clarify is that for two lines to intersect we just need a common solution and not for all points (in this case 4,-8) to satisfy both equations?

Hope am able to explain my query. Looking forward to hear from you.
Best

Sidharth003 - I am afraid I don't really understand your question.

Statement 1 is not sufficient because given one point, we know that a line can pass through it in infinite ways. Look at the diagram.
Attachment:
2018719-18544688-1131-lines-passing-through-one-point.png
2018719-18544688-1131-lines-passing-through-one-point.png [ 15.04 KiB | Viewed 4280 times ]

Some of these lines will intersect the parabola but the line m parallel to X axis will not intersect the parabola.

When two lines intersect, they have exactly one point common to both lines.
When two lines have all points common, they are overlapping lines i.e. they are the same line.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Tough question! Does anyone have a detailed solution for this one

In the XY-Plane does line l intersect the graph of y=x^2?

(1) Line l passes through the point (4, -8). Consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
Intersection.png
As you can see line passing through (4, -8) may or may not intersect with the graph of y=x^2. Not sufficient.

(2) Line l passes through the point (-4, 16). Since (-4)^2=16, then point (-4, 16) is ON the graph of y=x^2, thus line passing through this point intersects the graph of y=x^2. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Could you please explain why the approach towards both the points are different? ie; I agree with the first approach where we draw the parabola and draw the possibilities of how a line passing through point (4,-8) could be anything (parallel to x axis, or positive sloped, negative sloped.
But when we approach the second point, using the same principle, would that not mean that a line passing through (-4,16) can also look either parallel to x axis, positive sloped, negative sloped?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618609 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
afra94 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Tough question! Does anyone have a detailed solution for this one

In the XY-Plane does line l intersect the graph of y=x^2?

(1) Line l passes through the point (4, -8). Consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
Intersection.png
As you can see line passing through (4, -8) may or may not intersect with the graph of y=x^2. Not sufficient.

(2) Line l passes through the point (-4, 16). Since (-4)^2=16, then point (-4, 16) is ON the graph of y=x^2, thus line passing through this point intersects the graph of y=x^2. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Could you please explain why the approach towards both the points are different? ie; I agree with the first approach where we draw the parabola and draw the possibilities of how a line passing through point (4,-8) could be anything (parallel to x axis, or positive sloped, negative sloped.
But when we approach the second point, using the same principle, would that not mean that a line passing through (-4,16) can also look either parallel to x axis, positive sloped, negative sloped?

Be attentive to the question being asked, which is not about the slope of line L but rather whether it intersects the graph of y = x^2. In (1), line L intersects the graph of y = x^2 in some cases, but not in others. However, in (2), we know that line L passes through the point (-4, 16), which is already on the graph of y = x^2. Therefore, it follows that the line passing through this point always intersect the graph of y = x^2.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts