It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 03:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 76

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 09:59
Hi,

Thanks to VerbalBot for bumping up this question; it seems like a good one for Sub-600 level.

My doubt here is that since this is an 'Assumption EXCEPT' question, we need to find the option which isn't taken into account or basically, which contributes nothing to the argument (i.e., neutral). Given this, A-D could all qualify as assumptions, however, E does nothing much to the argument. Based on this reasoning, I selected E.

Am I off-topic here? Could someone please guide me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 76

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 09:15

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 12:02

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 18:47

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 06:38

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 05:47

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 07:34

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 15:41
E is wrong. Ones should realize the scope has shifted from "birds seen" to "species of birds" => E is an assumption
B is an assumption which directly links with the air pollution => hence E is out
A is correct because A is too extreme. If ones negate A, then the argument is intact. => A is not assumption

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 04:08
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 04:43
I selected option B.

"Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air"

In complete argument, how signficant impact of regualation is not mentioned. So how can we consider as assumption?

Please can anyone explain.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 08:34
Why not D?
The author mentions the increase in the number of bird species as a sign of improved air quality. The public may or may not desire the increase in the number of birds. The main target is improving the air quality with or without an increase in the number of birds. Why would the author assume that it is a desired outcome or not?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 19:54
KyleWiddison wrote:
lvtrung205 wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

I choose E but it's wrong. can S.o help me explain why not E.

Remember that assumptions fill the gap that exists between the premise(s) and the conclusion. In this question, Premise 1 = London imposed strict air-pollution regs on local industry; Premise 2 = Bird species have increased as a result; and Conclusion = Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities. Think about the gap between the conclusion and the premises. What do you have to believe in order for the conclusion (that the rules should be imposed on other cities) to be valid.

A-Do you have to believe that air-pollution is ALMOST ENTIRELY caused by local industry to believe that the helpful regs should be spread to other cities? No, This is an example of the GMAT using very extreme language to invalidate a choice. [In this case the extreme language invalidates an assumption and we are looking for the only non-assumption]
B-We have to believe that regulations impact the air quality or we wouldn't conclude that the regulations should be extended to other cities.
C-We would only conclude to take the same actions in these cities if the problems were similar.
D-We only make this conclusion if we want more birds!
E-We would only recommend (or conclude) to apply these regulations if the results are real/verifiable. If we are seeing more birds because we went to parks instead of looking out our 1st floor window, we can't conclude that these regulations should be spread to other cities. Only if the species actually did increase would we conclude that the regulations are worthy of replication.

A is the only non-assumption in the group (but E is a tempting option).

KW

Question regarding option E:
The question says 'the number of bird species SEEN in and around '. It never talks about the actual number of species being increased. What does actual increase in the number of species in that area mean?
Also isn't it obvious that if you see more birds flying in and around london, they have increased in number? [because you SEE them].
I did not understand your first floor /park example.

Please explain.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 19:58
pratik1709 wrote:
I selected option B.

"Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air"

In complete argument, how signficant impact of regualation is not mentioned. So how can we consider as assumption?

Please can anyone explain.

How do you think the birds have increased in number? It is because the regulation was in place which improved the quality of the air. That's how!

You are right that impact of regulation is not given but two pieces are given. One - regulation was in place to control pollution , two - birds have increased. How can you fill the missing gap? Only if you assume option B.

Makes sense?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 20:03
deucebigalow wrote:
Why not D?
The author mentions the increase in the number of bird species as a sign of improved air quality. The public may or may not desire the increase in the number of birds. The main target is improving the air quality with or without an increase in the number of birds. Why would the author assume that it is a desired outcome or not?

Take your understanding of the conclusion a little further by reading the prompt one more time. Then come back here!

The main target is improving the air quality so that there is an increase in the number of birds. (the air quality must be increased. Why? because birds count will increase).
The argument states that this regulation must be applied elsewhere. Why? So that the air quality improvement can lead to an increase in number of birds there as well.

Hence, Bird count increase is desirable.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 05:46
smahamkl wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.(A)
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Can any one point out the right answer for the above question?

thanks in advance,
sm

I selected "E" but after going through the thread, I think "A" makes more sense. But don't worry, you won't get such half baked questions on GMAT.
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 167

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 21:38
Hi Expert,
I was stuck between A, D, and E.
I chose D because on it does not have any effect on the conclusion.

Can you please explain how A is correct because i feel A is an assumption.

Life is a challenge face it.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 21:40
Hi mikemcgarry
I was stuck between A, D, and E.
I chose D because on it does not have any effect on the conclusion.

Can you please explain how A is correct because i feel A is an assumption.

Life is a challenge face it.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Concentration: International Business, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:01
IMO answer is A. The choice is very extreme here. The author doesn't assume that pollution is caused almost entirely by local industries. Even if a portion of it is caused by local ones, laws will help them reduce and increase the population of birds.

You give kudos, you get kudos. :D

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 06:24
I chose B. The reason behind it is:
Strict air pollution regulations on local industry-> No. of bird species increase ->Therefore, similar rules should be imposed on other major cities.
There is no relation to quality of air or its effects.
Can somebody help?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 06:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 120 posts ] 

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap