GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 15
In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 08:49
2
16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (01:15) correct 78% (01:18) wrong based on 1399 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.(A)
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

Can any one point out the right answer for the above question?

thanks in advance,
sm
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2013, 12:16
6
3
siddharth86 wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
I am not able to understand how come option B is incorrect & A is correct. Can you kindly clear my doubts. Waiting eagerly for your valuable inputs. Regards, Fame

I like this question.

As for (B) --- The purpose of "air-pollution regulations on industry" is to improve the air quality. Of course, if the regulations are poorly written, they might not achieve this purpose. This argument talks about passing these regulations, and then it talk about more birds --- what's the link? The link has to be --- the regulations worked, that is to say, they achieved the end for which they were designed. Notice that the opposite of this ---- "air-pollution regulations on industry have little effect on air quality" ---- would be a crippling objection to this argument. (B) is a bonafide assumption.

By contrast, (A) contains those problematic word "almost entirely" --- any all-inclusive language (all, every, each one, always, etc. etc.) is very very hard to demonstrate and justify. There are always exceptions. Without reading the prompt at all, I figured out this was the one that wasn't an assumption --- the language is too extreme.
Suppose there's are many cities in which local industry is responsible for, say, 40% of the city's air pollution problem, and cars are responsible for 60%. Many post-industrial cities, such as San Francisco, have little in the way of traditional industries, but they have a lot of car traffic. This is a scenario in which (A) is false, yet even if only some of the air pollution problem is caused by local industries, reducing what air pollution is caused by the industries would still be a worthwhile goal. We can negate (A) and still justify the argument, so (A) is not an assumption.

For more on assumptions, see this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/arguments- ... -the-gmat/

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Most Helpful Community Reply
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 342
Location: San Francisco
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2010, 13:44
5
Hey All,

Enough debate and confusion about this one to merit a full on study. So let's do the big old outline and such:

In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Conclusion: Rules should be imposed in other major cities
Premise: Since rules imposed in London, bird species seen in and around has increased
Assumptions: [Without looking at the answer choices, I'll just guess at a few]. Other things/species haven't suffered. More species = more birds. Other cities aren't fundamentally different from London.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head in 10 seconds, so I'll go looking at the answer choices now.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
ANSWER: A few things point this out as the answer. First, there's some dangerous strong language "most major cities" "almost entirely". That's not the point of the argument. Even if this assumption weren't true, the argument would hold. Watch: "In most major cities, air-pollution problems are not caused almost entirely by local industry." Even if the industry is 30% of the pollution, why not get rid of it? The argument still holds.

(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
PROBLEM: If the regulation on industry doesn't have a significant impact on air quality, we shouldn't do it, whatever happens with birds.

(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
PROBLEM: Hey! I hit this one in my guesses. If other cities are wildly different, it wouldn't make sense to institute the same rules.

(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
PROBLEM: This is a great one. Maybe we don't want more pigeon poop on our statues. If this is untrue, we shouldn't institute the rules.

(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.
PROBLEM: I hit this one, too! If we're only seeing more, rather than actually HAVING more, we shouldn't necessarily institute the rules.

A lot of you were on top of this, but I thought it would help to get the deep treatment. Hope it helps!

-t
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 898
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 09:44
3
E is wrong because we assume that the increase of bird species is related to ACTUAL increases in bird, rather than MORE people calling in with "sightings".

Suppose you have 100 birds - but instead of having 10 people calling in, now you have 50 people calling in.

Does that mean that there are more birds? nope. We still have 100. It just means that there are more people reporting them.

joyseychow wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1345
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 09:46
5
1
The answer must be A here - we know that pollution regulations on local industry in London have helped increase the number of birds. Presumably local industry then produces a significant amount of pollution, so the regulations may have helped to reduce pollution overall. Still, local industry does not need to be 'entirely' responsible for the pollution in order for regulations to help matters. Perhaps local industry only created 25% of the total pollution, but the regulations cut local industry pollution to zero; that would still have a significant impact on air quality.

If you bring outside opinions to the argument, E might be tempting - if you think reducing air pollution is good in and of itself, then E might not seem relevant. Still, if we analyze the argument -- Regulations in London led to more birds. Therefore these regulations are good and should be adopted by other cities. -- we see that the *only* reason the author gives for introducing regulations is to increase the number of birds - surely the author is assuming that's a good thing if he or she is proposing other cities introduce the same regulations.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 212
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:42
picked A, but not before hovering over E.
Not E, because in order to argue for similar restrictions, you'll have to assume this one.

There are better explanations above ...
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 395
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 14:16
5
The argument says, essentially, "London imposed air pollution laws. The number of birds went up. Therefore the rules should be applied everywhere."

It's an unstated assumption that having more birds is a good thing; it's the only justification for improving air quality that is provided. So D is one of the assumptions.

we should apply London's rules elsewhere assumes other cities are similar: C is an assumption.

The increased sightings of birds actually represents an increase in the number of birds is another assumption: E is also assumed.

Between B & A, i'll go with A
because

The argument does not assume that local industry is 'almost entirely' the source of air pollution. It only assumes that regulation on local industry will have a positive effect.
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Apply - Last Chance
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Joined: 18 Jul 2010
Posts: 642
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 14:22
This asks for assumptions EXCEPT. I dont understand A.

London imposed laws (not just any laws) but laws on local industry to curb air pollution -> # birds increased. If now I claim I should be doing this at other cities around the world, is there not a basic assumption inherent that if I am assuming the local industries in those cities are causing air pollution.. Why else should I be implementing the laws on local industries in other cities. These are just not any laws, they are implemented on the local industries.

What does E have to do with anything - The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area. Is it not possible that the birds just flew in from other places because the air was cleaner, what does an actual increase have to do with anything?

Why do we have to assume E?
_________________

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 152
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 20:31
onedayill wrote:

It's an unstated assumption that having more birds is a good thing; it's the only justification for improving air quality that is provided. So D is one of the assumptions.



I am not sure if you are right about D.

My view,
increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable is no way concerned with the argument.
its just imposing strict laws and the increase in no.of birds.
so option D neither strengthens nor weakens the argument IMO.

A- if local industries is one of the reasons for pollution, imposing law will have a positive effect -> strengthens
E- (negate E) increased sightings of bird species in and around London does not reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area, then the argument falls apart.


Correct me if am wrong
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 136
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2010, 03:18
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Assumptions:
1) The increase in the number of bird species is a direct result of application of strict air-pollution regulations. ==> no option
2) The increase in number of bird species actually reflects an increase. ==> option E
3) The increase in number of bird species is desirable and that is why the regualtion should be imposed in other cities as well. ==> option D
4) The regulation imposed in London should also be imposed in other major cities because we are assuming that they have similar air pollution problems. ==> option C

Left with A and B... A can still be clubbed with C but can't really figure out how can we assume B...
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 438
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2010, 03:40
mundasingh123 wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

OA Check after a few replies or someone can PM me

I am between A and E.
If we negate A, then even if the local industry is reponsible only for a apart of the air pollution problems , the argument still suffices.
If we negate E, then if an increase in the number of sightings does not mean an increase in the number of species, then the argument suffices because this could mean that the birds come more frequently out.The birds feel more comfortable flying in the cleaner air
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 47
Schools: INSEAD,Nanyang Business school, CBS,
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 14:14
IMO A

Negate A :

Air Pollution is not are NOT ENTIRELY caused by Local industry
--> Air Pollution is PARTIALLY caused by Local industry

So, # of bird species seen could be increased by reducing Air Pollution PARTIALLY by Regulations on Local Industries.

this means by neagting this option, still we could reach the Conclusion,

So we dont need to Assume this.

Hope this helps
_________________

Working without expecting fruit helps in mastering the art of doing fault-free action !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 397
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2011, 04:07
amod243 wrote:
IMO A
Negate A :
Air Pollution is not are NOT ENTIRELY caused by Local industry
--> Air Pollution is PARTIALLY caused by Local industry
So, # of bird species seen could be increased by reducing Air Pollution PARTIALLY by Regulations on Local Industries.
this means by neagting this option, still we could reach the Conclusion,
So we dont need to Assume this.
Hope this helps

The stimulus in the first statement clearly says that "since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry". Doesnt this means that Air Pollution came into control due to rules and regulations on "local industry" specifically?
And this is exactly what A says about.

If you say that "--> Air Pollution is PARTIALLY caused by Local industry", then wouldnt it will negate the first statment of the stimulus and destroy the conclusion?
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 13:17
1
Conclusion : Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Premise : the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically

Now Question asks for an option which is no where related to above as an assumption. SO lets drill down each option and strike it out.


(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
-- This passage is concerned with local industry and this can be one probable assumption which fills the gap between premise and COnclusion. So this option is out .....Striked

(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
---- Lets keep it aside for time being.

(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
--- London regulation outcome has triggered the conclusion. so its must as assumption. so Striked
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
---- This is the one result of regulation that triggered the implementation in other cities ....Striked
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.
---- This acts as an assumption. If when negated i.e.The increased sightings of bird species in and around London does not reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area then there won't be any relevance between the premise and conclusion which will lead to fall of conclusion. So its Striked off

Now Option B is remaining ..." Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air " : This is the correct answer which doesn't act as any assumption for above conclusion to be drawn. Air quality doesn't quantify in the passage conclusion. Negating this i.e. Air-pollution regulations on industry does not have a significant impact on the quality of the air " doesn't affect the premise as the reason can be different for increase in species number and thus doesn't contradict the conclusion too. B doesn't affect the conclusion what so ever

OA is B
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1193
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: In the years since the city of London [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 05:43
The passage suggests that the number of birds in the city has increased based on the facts that more birds are being seen. But that might not be the case. It may simply be that more of species are flying around than before. But due to the assumption that increased sightings mean increased number of species, the argument holds good.

Although the question would have been more clear had the conclusion been something like,

Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities for an increase in the number of bird species.

I would like to know what the source of the question is.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 21:11
4
3
lvtrung205 wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

I choose E but it's wrong. can S.o help me explain why not E.


Remember that assumptions fill the gap that exists between the premise(s) and the conclusion. In this question, Premise 1 = London imposed strict air-pollution regs on local industry; Premise 2 = Bird species have increased as a result; and Conclusion = Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities. Think about the gap between the conclusion and the premises. What do you have to believe in order for the conclusion (that the rules should be imposed on other cities) to be valid.

A-Do you have to believe that air-pollution is ALMOST ENTIRELY caused by local industry to believe that the helpful regs should be spread to other cities? No, This is an example of the GMAT using very extreme language to invalidate a choice. [In this case the extreme language invalidates an assumption and we are looking for the only non-assumption]
B-We have to believe that regulations impact the air quality or we wouldn't conclude that the regulations should be extended to other cities.
C-We would only conclude to take the same actions in these cities if the problems were similar.
D-We only make this conclusion if we want more birds!
E-We would only recommend (or conclude) to apply these regulations if the results are real/verifiable. If we are seeing more birds because we went to parks instead of looking out our 1st floor window, we can't conclude that these regulations should be spread to other cities. Only if the species actually did increase would we conclude that the regulations are worthy of replication.

A is the only non-assumption in the group (but E is a tempting option).

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2012, 13:12
KyleWiddison wrote:
lvtrung205 wrote:
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.

Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

I choose E but it's wrong. can S.o help me explain why not E.


Remember that assumptions fill the gap that exists between the premise(s) and the conclusion. In this question, Premise 1 = London imposed strict air-pollution regs on local industry; Premise 2 = Bird species have increased as a result; and Conclusion = Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities. Think about the gap between the conclusion and the premises. What do you have to believe in order for the conclusion (that the rules should be imposed on other cities) to be valid.

A-Do you have to believe that air-pollution is ALMOST ENTIRELY caused by local industry to believe that the helpful regs should be spread to other cities? No, This is an example of the GMAT using very extreme language to invalidate a choice. [In this case the extreme language invalidates an assumption and we are looking for the only non-assumption]
B-We have to believe that regulations impact the air quality or we wouldn't conclude that the regulations should be extended to other cities.
C-We would only conclude to take the same actions in these cities if the problems were similar.
D-We only make this conclusion if we want more birds!
E-We would only recommend (or conclude) to apply these regulations if the results are real/verifiable. If we are seeing more birds because we went to parks instead of looking out our 1st floor window, we can't conclude that these regulations should be spread to other cities. Only if the species actually did increase would we conclude that the regulations are worthy of replication.

A is the only non-assumption in the group (but E is a tempting option).

KW


I go with E too.

The reason that I didn't choose A is because the author believe that the air-pollution comes from the local industry. Therefore, the city of London set the regulation for local industry to control this problem. This action result in the increase of the number of bird species.

If such 99% of the pollution comes from other sources and the remaining 1% comes from the local industry, the regulation will not work. That's why I think A is an assumption as it shows that the local industry has an enormous impact on the air-pollution.

I'm not quite sure whether my point is correct. Please give me the advice :)
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2012, 06:14
2
1
Yes, the decision between A and E can be tricky. Let's use negation to take a different view of these 2 choices. Negation is a bit of a challenge for A because it's difficult to form the "negative" version because it's not a binary, yes/no, situation but rather a degree of impact. To negate, we'll change the degree of impact from "almost entirely" to "only partly".

Here are the "negated" assumptions:
A-) In most major cities, air pollution is only PARTLY caused by local industry.
E-) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London DOES NOT reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

When we negate true assumptions, the negated assumption will effectively destroy the conclusion. Which of the above most effectively destroys the conclusion? In A-, if the regulations on local industry (now only partly responsible for the pollution) still improve the number of species and we can still conclude that these regulations should be applied to other cities, therefore this is NOT a necessary assumption. In E-, if the regulations do not actually impact the number of species, we can no longer conclude that these regulations should be applied to other cities, therefore this IS a necessary assumption. A is the answer.

Does that help?

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1193
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2012, 06:24
KyleWiddison wrote:
Yes, the decision between A and E can be tricky. Let's use negation to take a different view of these 2 choices. Negation is a bit of a challenge for A because it's difficult to form the "negative" version because it's not a binary, yes/no, situation but rather a degree of impact. To negate, we'll change the degree of impact from "almost entirely" to "only partly".

Here are the "negated" assumptions:
A-) In most major cities, air pollution is only PARTLY caused by local industry.
E-) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London DOES NOT reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.

When we negate true assumptions, the negated assumption will effectively destroy the conclusion. Which of the above most effectively destroys the conclusion? In A-, if the regulations on local industry (now only partly responsible for the pollution) still improve the number of species and we can still conclude that these regulations should be applied to other cities, therefore this is NOT a necessary assumption. In E-, if the regulations do not actually impact the number of species, we can no longer conclude that these regulations should be applied to other cities, therefore this IS a necessary assumption. A is the answer.

Does that help?

KW


Just curious... Is the argument not required to say something like

Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities to increase the number of species.

BTW on a different note, you look like a carbon copy of Brandon Routh.. :)
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 763
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2012, 10:38
Actually, I reckon errorly the weight of necessary or importance between choice A and B. I thought that, after negate A and B, these two answer will become

(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are at least not caused almost entirely by local industry.

(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry at least do not have a significant impact on the quality of the air. => still have impact on quality of air => I thought this negated one does not attack as strong as choice A
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Re: In the years since the city of London imposed strict   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2012, 10:38

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the years since the city of London imposed strict

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.