It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 413 [5], given: 56

In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:54) correct 37% (01:11) wrong based on 684 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows up to a height of 130 feet, having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread over the canopy of lesser trees.

(A) up to a height of 130 feet, having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread
(B) up to 130 feet in height, and with a buttressed trunk and a crown spreading
(C) to as high as 130 feet in height, having a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spread
(D) to a height of 130 feet, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads
(E) as high a height as 130 feet, having a buttressing trunk and a crown spreading
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

G

Kudos [?]: 9068 [0], given: 1154

Re: In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2013, 03:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sivasanjeev wrote:
In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows up to a height of 130 feet, having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread over the canopy of lesser trees.
A. up to a height of 130 feet, having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread
B. up to 130 feet in height, and with a buttressed trunk and a crown spreading
C. to as high as 130 feet in height, having a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spread
D. to a height of 130 feet, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads
E. as high a height as 130 feet, having a buttressing trunk and a crown spreading

In this such question lokk at a parallell structure and avoid as much as possible HAVING because most of the time is wrong. NOT always but most of the time

B is not parallel

D is right

Ask if something remains unclear

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9068 [0], given: 1154

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2013, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:
A. up to a height of 130 feet, having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread
C. to as high as 130 feet in height, having a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spread
D. to a height of 130 feet, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads
E. as high a height as 130 feet, having a buttressing trunk and a crown spreading

In this such question lokk at a parallell structure and avoid as much as possible HAVING because most of the time is wrong. NOT always but most of the time

B is not parallel

D is right

Ask if something remains unclear

regards

First method of elimination
A. up to a height of 150 feet --> redundant. Either it should be 'up to 150 feet' or 'to a height of 150 feet'
B. up to 130 feet in height --> same issue as A
C. to as high as 130 feet in height --> redundant and incorrect comparison as X as
D. to a height of 130 feet --> looks fine.
E. as high a height as 130 feet --> same issue as C

Second method of elimination
A. having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread --> The construction is a participle phrase, which needs to be followed by a noun. Second thing, 'spread' is referring to the 'crown', so it should be singular ==> spreads should be used.
B. and with a buttressed trunk and a crown spreading --> the first 'and' after the comma should introduce an independent clause. But it isn't the case.
C. having a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spread --> Same issue in A
D. with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads --> parallelism maintained. Crown agrees with 'spreads'
E. having a buttressed trunk and a crown spreading --> Participle phrase needs to be followed by a noun.

One advanced concept, I would like to present here.

1. Having a buttressed trunk, the tree grows to a height of...
->The underlined part is a participle phrase.
->It acts like an adjective.
->It normally is placed at the beginning of a sentence. (And hence, carcass's statement to avoid as much as possible HAVING because most of the time is wrong)

2. The tree grows having a buttressed trunk.
->The underlined part is a gerund phrase.
->It acts like a noun.
->It should be the direct object of a verb.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

Schools: Insead July'17

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2015, 23:45
I understand that A is wrong because of pronoun issue...
But, can anyone explain why "up to a height of 130 feet" is redundant.

what makes addition the word "up" redundant ?

Please help...

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [1], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2015, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
navneetb wrote:

What pronoun issue?

The easiest way to eliminate A is to understand the intended meaning. It should be evident that the crown (of the Honduran mahogany) spreads over the canopy of lesser trees.

However, A says: ....trunk and a crown that spread...

Since A uses a plural verb spread, clearly that is modifying trunk and crown, thereby implying that trunk and crown spread over the canopy of lesser trees! This is clearly nonsensical, since trunk cannot spread over the canopy of lesser trees.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [1], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA

Schools: Insead July'17

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2015, 07:57
EducationAisle wrote:
navneetb wrote:

What pronoun issue?

The easiest way to eliminate A is to understand the intended meaning. It should be evident that the crown (of the Honduran mahogany) spreads over the canopy of lesser trees.

However, A says: ....trunk and a crown that spread...

Since A uses a plural verb spread, clearly that is modifying trunk and crown, thereby implying that trunk and crown spread over the canopy of lesser trees! This is clearly nonsensical, since trunk cannot spread over the canopy of lesser trees.

Hi Ashish,
Sorry for that. My mistake...
I agree with you.. There is no pronoun issue.. instead it is plural/singular issue..

Could you please help for my requested question?
>> why "up to a height of 130 feet" is redundant.
>> what makes addition the word "up" redundant ?

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2015, 09:53
navneetb wrote:
>> why "up to a height of 130 feet" is redundant.
>> what makes addition the word "up" redundant ?

When I look closely (and since you ask), I see that it should be either:

i) ..grows up to 130 feet
Or
ii) ..grows to a height of 130 feet

However, as I mentioned in my last post, there is a larger meaning issue with A. Such issues should normally take precedence over redundancy issues.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 05:49
sivasanjeev wrote:

Parallelism, Meaning

Meaning: it is only the crown that spreads over the canopy of lesser trees

'spread' is plural, suggesting that 'trunk' and crown spread over which is not reasnable

'and' produces a sentence fragment

'spreading' modifies both trunk and crown, an illogical meaning

two modifiers are not parallel: 'having a ...' and 'with a crown'

Also, 'spread' should be 'spreads'

D. to a height of 130 feet, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads Correct!

Repetition of 'with' separates the two items: 'trunk' and 'crown', making the 'crown' the only word that spreads modifies.

'spreads' agrees with 'crown'

'spreading' again seems to modify both the 'trunk' and the 'crown', an unreasonable modification since only crown 'spreads'

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 04:46
I have a few doubts in this question.

Clarification 1.

Here is a gist of the OE

A. Up makes it redundant because trees only grow upwards. And the relative pronoun - 'that' refers to a singular noun crown and hence 'spreads' should be used.
My reasoning- I do not understand this. Up to is used to say that the maximum height is 130 feet, and that the height ranges from 0-130. It has nothing to do with the fact that trees grow upwards. Is the OE wrong?
Also please confirm if the following rule is correct - 'the relative pronoun 'that' refers only to the immediately preceding noun. Or is it just so in this case, because of the intended meaning?

Clarification 2
In the correct option D, is the second 'with' necessary? Would it still be correct without the second 'with'?

Clarification 3

How do we know that the modifier 'with a buttressed trunk .....' is modifying the tree and not 130 feet(height). I know that is completely illogical. But say we had something like

In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows like a mango tree, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads over the canopy of lesser trees.

Is the above sentence ambiguous?

Thank you very much!

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 11:12
sivasanjeev wrote:

I was also inclined towards D for the obvious reason.

But i was thinking whether D changes the intended meaning of the sentence, since it says 'to a height'.

Doesn't it mean that anywhere from 0 to 130 feet when we say 'up to a height of..' ? So 'to a height of' sort of means that the tree will definitely grow 130 feet tall.
Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Rohan

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 07:24
icefrog wrote:

Clarification 1.

Here is a gist of the OE

A. Up makes it redundant because trees only grow upwards. And the relative pronoun - 'that' refers to a singular noun crown and hence 'spreads' should be used.
My reasoning- I do not understand this. Up to is used to say that the maximum height is 130 feet, and that the height ranges from 0-130. It has nothing to do with the fact that trees grow upwards. Is the OE wrong?
Also please confirm if the following rule is correct - 'the relative pronoun 'that' refers only to the immediately preceding noun. Or is it just so in this case, because of the intended meaning?

Clarification 2
In the correct option D, is the second 'with' necessary? Would it still be correct without the second 'with'?

Clarification 3

How do we know that the modifier 'with a buttressed trunk .....' is modifying the tree and not 130 feet(height). I know that is completely illogical. But say we had something like

In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows like a mango tree, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spreads over the canopy of lesser trees.

Thank you very much!

I have the same questions regarding to the use of "with". In fact, I found "with" appears more frequently in incorrect choices than "having" does.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [2], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi, guys! to make life simple, let’s just delve on the core issues.

First get rid of the choices that contain ‘crown that spread”, a blatant SV error. A and C are gone.

Now get rid of E that says ‘as high a height as’ for the flagrant redundancy.

Now B is gone because the sentence turns unparallel with a clause and a phrase being joined by ‘and’.

What are we left with? Just D; Let’s accept it on the face of it because that is the only grammatically correct choice and so the best of the lot.

confidently submit and go to the next question. You will be lucky if you get such an easy question.

Good luck

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7916 [2], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Icefrog wrote

Quote:

Clarification 1.

Here is a gist of the OE

Clarification 2

Clarification 3

Clarification 1. In almost the all the cases, the restrictive pronoun ‘that’ will only refer to the preceding noun. The exception is in such cases when the preceding noun happens to be the modifier of yet another noun that is more relevant. It occurs mostly with nouns that are modified by prepositional phrases. Look at this example:
I like Scotch from Scotland that is part of the UK. Here the relative pronoun cannot refer to Scotch and must necessarily antecede Scotland

But look at this variant

I like Scotch from Scotland that is aged more than three years. – Here ‘that’ cannot refer to Scotland logically. The prepositional modifier ‘from Scotland’ is an essential ingredient of that Scotch made in Scotland.

So maybe I would say the reference of relative pronouns is context driven.

Clarification 2

Quote:

I would say it is necessary. Look at the parallelism. . ‘And’ is supposed to join two parallels. Without the second ‘with’, the combination becomes one of a prepositional phrase on one side and a noun phrase on the other. However, when you add the second ‘with’, it becomes perfectly parallel with two prepositional phrases. Maybe one might say, we can skip the second one, but nobody will object when the second one as added. I don’t think it will ever be an issue in the Test.

Clarification 3.

The first point is that the ‘with’ modifier with a comma before it is an adverbial modifier and hence would not refer to the noun before. It modifies the subject of the previous clause mahogany and its growing to 130feet. So even, if you put an eligible noun such as a mango tree before the ‘with’, it will not modify the mango tree, since an adverbial modifier is not a noun modifier but a verb modifier. Please note that the moment there is a comma before the modifier, be it either ‘with’ or a verb+ing modifier such as 'having', it will not modify the noun before. However, if you don’t have the comma before, then it will modify the noun lying before. In your revised statement, if you remove the comma before the ‘with’ then it will modify the mango tree forthwith. The difference is the comma.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7916 [1], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 04:37
Up is redundant since trees grow in only one direction. Hence, using grows up to the height of 130 feet" is not the most economical way of writing.

Hope this helps!

Best,
SS18

MorningRunner wrote:
But, can anyone explain why "up to a height of 130 feet" is redundant.

what makes addition the word "up" redundant ?

Please help...

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 07:27
sivasanjeev wrote:

(A) up to a height of 130 feet, having a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread
(C) to as high as 130 feet in height, having a buttressed trunk and with a crown that spread
(D) to a height of 130 feet, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown thatspreads
(E) as high a height as 130 feet, having a buttressing trunk and a crown spreading

Hi, daagh chetan2u
Can you please tell what is that referring here? "buttressed trunk and a crown" or "a crown"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5498 [1], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 19:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
DH99 wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:

(D) to a height of 130 feet, with a buttressed trunk and with a crown thatspreads

Hi, daagh chetan2u
Can you please tell what is that referring here? "buttressed trunk and a crown" or "a crown"

Hi..
Here THAT refers to only crown..
Reason..
1) use of WITH separately with crown.
2) singular SPREADS points to a singular antecedents.

Hope it helps

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5498 [1], given: 112

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 20:41
chetan2u wrote:
DH99 wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:

Hi, daagh chetan2u

Hi..
Here THAT refers to only crown..
Reason..
1) use of WITH separately with crown.
2) singular SPREADS points to a singular antecedents.

Hope it helps

chetan2u: Thank you, If the sentence would have been with a buttressed trunk and a crown that spread ,then the verb spread would have been correct?

Re: In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 20:41

In undisturbed primary forests, the Honduran mahogany grows

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap