It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 424

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Re: In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 14:05
In these type of problems, look for one that is the least problems. C does so, even though I don't agree with ', offers hope.' portion

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 424

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 02:13
A. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight. – Misplaced modifier: scientists are not the alternative to the corneal transplantation.

B. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells in the eye by scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists possess the ability to restore lost sight. – Logical predication: its not the scientist that posses the the ability but the stem cells, thus the meaning of the sentence is incorrect.

C. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells possessing the ability to restore lost sight in the eye by city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI)’s scientists along with U.S. scientists, offers hope. - -Correct answer

D. Scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye, which possess the ability to restore lost sight, and promising to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea. – Iogical predication: its not the eye that possess the ability, but the stem cells

E. Scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight promising to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea. – Logical predication: It is not the eye that posssess the ability to restore lost sight but the stem cells.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 02:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Margaret Courtney-Clarke has traveled to remote dwellings in the Transvaal to photograph the art of Ndebele
women, whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new
iconography and in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house.

A. whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography and
in a style that varies from woman to woman and house to house
B. whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography,
and their style is varying among women and houses
C. whose murals are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries are embellished with old and new iconography,
and they are in styles that vary from woman to woman and house to house
D. with murals brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography, and their
style varies among women and houses
E. with murals that are brilliantly colored, their geometrical symmetries embellished with old and new iconography,
and their styles vary among women and houses

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 21:13
Hi expert,
I'm facing some dilemmas with correct option C.

Does option C mean the discovery promises to be an alternative?
Why we need to have a comma before "offers"?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 906

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3085 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 22:04
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
I'm facing some dilemmas with correct option C.

Does option C mean the discovery promises to be an alternative?
Why we need to have a comma before "offers"?

Thanks

The comma should not be there.... corrected. Thank you for pointing out.

Kudos [?]: 3085 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 05:02
talentlu wrote:
Few things we learned from this passage:
1). Scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye
2). The cells possess the ability to restore lost sight
3). This discovery offers a promising alternative to treat blindness

Keep in mind that it is the potent stem cells that possess the ability to restore sight, not the eye itself or the discovery of the cells.

1. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight.

A. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight.
"That" incorrectly modifies "eye", which does not possess the ability to restore lost sight. The potent stem cells in the eye possess the ability to restore lost sight. Incorrect

B. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells in the eye by scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists possess the ability to restore lost sight.
If we read this answer choice carefully, we see that "the discovery of..... by scientists..... possess the ability to restore lost sight". Again, the discovery does not possess the ability. Incorrect

C. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells possessing the ability to restore lost sight in the eye by city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI)’s scientists along with U.S. scientists, offers hope.
Here, "Possessing the ability to restore lost sight" correctly modifies potent stem cells. Correct

D. Scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye, which possess the ability to restore lost sight, and promising to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea.
Like choice A, "which" incorrectly modifies "eye", which does not possess the ability to restore lost sight. Incorrect

E. Scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight promising to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea.
Same as choice A. Incorrect

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Enlighten me a lot! But I'm still confused that "restore lost sight in the eye" in option C will not be mistakenly understanded as "the sight is in the eye" rather than "the stem cell is in the eye" since their close positions?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 10:53
about c-
i agree it seems the most logic

but i kinda have a modifier problem with it

what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells possessing the ability to restore lost sight

its not to discovery itself that could be alternative. it's those potent stem cells no?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 11:01
lpardess wrote:
about c-
i agree it seems the most logic

but i kinda have a modifier problem with it

what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells possessing the ability to restore lost sight

its not to discovery itself that could be alternative. it's those potent stem cells no?

Hi lpardess ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

You have slightly misunderstood the meaning here.

It is saying "In what promises to be alternative" meaning in the discovery "something is an alternative". What is that? It is the potent cells.

Easy question if you are very careful while understanding the meaning.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 11:16
I saw almost all the explanations before writing this post.
I also came down to B and C.
But I am not sure if in choice C, THE DISCOVERY has the ability to restore list sight or the POTENT STEM CELLS haven't tis ability.

Actually I am confused with option C due to this.

Pls help.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 121

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 11:27
kumarparitosh123 wrote:
I saw almost all the explanations before writing this post.
I also came down to B and C.
But I am not sure if in choice C, THE DISCOVERY has the ability to restore list sight or the POTENT STEM CELLS haven't tis ability.

Actually I am confused with option C due to this.

Pls help.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi kumarparitosh123 ,

Here is the concept gap.

Whenever we are used "ing" form joined directly to the noun without any comma, it always refers to the noun it is next to.

Hence, "possessing" is actually referring to Potent cells rather than discovery.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 130

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:33
Isn't "caused from" unidiomatic? Help?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 130

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:29
NicoleJaneway wrote:
Isn't "caused from" unidiomatic? Help?

Hi NicoleJaneway ,

I donot see any issue with this idiomatic usage.

It is clearly saying blindness caused from damage to cornea. I know you must be thinking why is it not "blindness caused by damage to cornea".

Well, I would say both are fine.

As GMATNinja says, try to find out other reasons of rejecting an option if you are literally not sure about the idioms.

I would prefer to stay away from Awkwardness, sounds bad or idioms usage unless I don't have any option than to go with these.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:30
talentlu wrote:
Few things we learned from this passage:
1). Scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye
2). The cells possess the ability to restore lost sight
3). This discovery offers a promising alternative to treat blindness

Keep in mind that it is the potent stem cells that possess the ability to restore sight, not the eye itself or the discovery of the cells.

1. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight.

A. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight.
"That" incorrectly modifies "eye", which does not possess the ability to restore lost sight. The potent stem cells in the eye possess the ability to restore lost sight. Incorrect

B. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells in the eye by scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists possess the ability to restore lost sight.
If we read this answer choice carefully, we see that "the discovery of..... by scientists..... possess the ability to restore lost sight". Again, the discovery does not possess the ability. Incorrect

C. In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation for treating blindness caused from damage to cornea, the discovery of potent stem cells possessing the ability to restore lost sight in the eye by city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI)’s scientists along with U.S. scientists, offers hope.
Here, "Possessing the ability to restore lost sight" correctly modifies potent stem cells. Correct

D. Scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye, which possess the ability to restore lost sight, and promising to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea.
Like choice A, "which" incorrectly modifies "eye", which does not possess the ability to restore lost sight. Incorrect

E. Scientists from city-based L.V. Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) in collaboration with U.S. scientists claimed to have discovered potent stem cells in the eye that possess the ability to restore lost sight promising to be an alternative to corneal transplantation in treating blindness caused from damage to cornea.
Same as choice A. Incorrect

Hope this helps!

The OG 18 said, which can jump the modifiers, such as "in the eye", to modify cells.

Re: In what promises to be an alternative to corneal transplantation   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 08:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ]